Do I need a CPU cooler if I have a Heatsink?

4ezm

Hello, I recently started to try and build my own Gaming PC. Great I know right. So anyways I was curious if I need a CPU Cooler if I have a Heatsink. I tried looking around on various websites and couldn’t really find what I was looking for. So now I am coming here for help

What do you mean by heatsink? Like the box cooler? If it’s the box cooler it will work, but getting something like a hyper 212 is usually better.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

what do you mean by "heatsink"?

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

A CPU cooler is commonly referred to as a heatsink.

If you're asking about a radiator, no, you won't need one unless you're doing liquid cooling.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

9 minutes ago, Semper said:

A CPU cooler is commonly referred to as a heatsink.

Most new people say that it's a fan.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

10 hours ago, 4ezm said:

Hello, I recently started to try and build my own Gaming PC. Great I know right. So anyways I was curious if I need a CPU Cooler if I have a Heatsink. I tried looking around on various websites and couldn’t really find what I was looking for. So now I am coming here for help

A CPU Cooler is usually a CPU heatsink / fan combination (do NOT forget about the Thermal Paste!!), but, if you want the long version, also can be an All In One / Closed Loop Cooler (Liquid cooler) combination of pump/block/radiators/fans.

An open loop AIO is a water cooler with a fill port for refilling the radiator and detachable hoses with O rings for expansion (e.g. to hook up a GPU block to the water cooler)