Judge delivers split decision on Epic vs Apple - more positive than negative for Epic

Delicieuxz

Judge Issues Split Decision in Epic v. Apple

A U.S. District Judge has handed legal victories—and corresponding legal defeats—to both Apple and Epic in their App Store feud. Put simply, Apple is temporarily free to ban Fortnite from its store, but it cannot kill Epic’s developer account or ban its Unreal Engine.

In the words of the judge, neither side got the “slam dunk” they had each respectively hoped for.

“Having carefully reviewed the parties’ briefing, and the parties’ oral arguments, the Court grants in part and denies in part Epic’s motion for a temporary restraining order,” U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers wrote in the ruling. “Apple … are temporarily restrained from taking adverse action against Epic Games with respect to restricting, suspending[,] or terminating any affiliate of Epic Games … from Apple’s Developer Program, including as to Unreal Engine. This temporary restraining order is effective immediately and will remain in force until the Court issues an order on the motion for preliminary injunction.”

The judge also confirmed my concern with Epic’s second filing, which is that the company had found itself in an emergency of its own making.

In court, a party will push for the entirety of its interests and hope to get as much ruled in their favour as they can. However, that doesn't mean they expected to get everything they asked for, and they often ask for a lot more than they expect and hope to get just some of what they asked for.

The split-decision ruling in this case, to me, appears to favour Epic, as there's no major negative consequence for them. People could still download Fortnite for iOS from a source other than the iOS store, if Epic wishes to make it available, and other projects using Unreal Engine are unaffected by this decision. The threat that all apps using Unreal Engine would be removed from the App Store and developers would have to avoid using it if they wanted their app to be available in the App Store was the real danger in Apple's response, IMO. And Epic have avoided that situation.

Epic and Apple will face each other in a court hearing on September 28.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

People can still download Fortnite for iOS from a source other than the Apple store

What?  FN is not able to be installed on iOS right now.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Sounds like fun times ahead.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

What?

Epic can host a download elsewhere and people can install it without iOS store, as far as I understand

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

Epic can host a download elsewhere and people can install it without iOS store, as far as I understand

you can't sideload on iOS so nope.

She/Her

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

No, there is no sideloading on iOS.

There is on Android where you have to check the "Allow Unknown Sources" box in the settings.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

5 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

5 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

No, there is no sideloading on iOS.

If that's the case, then I'd wonder why people use iPhones. But what about with one of these methods?

https://7labs.io/mobile/iphone/install-apps-without-app-store.html

https://drfone.wondershare.com/iphone-tips/how-to-install-apps-on-iphone-without-itunes.html

Its harder to install a app without the app store on ios than on android. You need to jailbreak your phone and it can be pretty hard on some ios version/phone (for example my iphone 5 its a 32bits board and since the 5s(?) its 64bits so i can't use modern jailbreak tool and old one are hard to find). I don't see epic asking these players to do this.

Well,that was expected since a retaliatory reaction to a lawsuit is illegal,and the Fortnite app was removed before Epic filed the lawsuit.

I hope Apple's Monopolistic behavior will be stopped by the anti-trust laws they violate.

But remember that Epic are only doing that because it serves their interests,not paying Apple to have higher profit margins.

So Apple's monopolistic behavior and Epic's breach of contract are both violation of the law at the end of the day.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

8 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

You can "hack" your device and do that...

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

10 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

If that's the case, then I'd wonder why people use iPhones

maybe because android is a privacy hellhole and a buggy mess but other than that i don't get it either.

She/Her

2 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

maybe because android is a privacy hellhole and a buggy mess but other than that i don't get it either.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/05/14/zerodium-pauses-acquiring-ios-exploits/

you mean iOS is a privacy hellhole and a buggy mess such that security firms stopped buying certain exploits because they were too numerous

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

10 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

If that's the case, then I'd wonder why people use iPhones. But what about with one of these methods?

https://7labs.io/mobile/iphone/install-apps-without-app-store.html

"Do note that the app will stop working after seven days if you have a free developer account, which means that you will have to repeat the sideload process in order to get it to work again."

Also wouldn't be surprised if Apple closes this "hole" if they see it's being used in-bulk for people to install an application like FN, trying to circumvent the app store.  It's Apple...they can lock shit down real quick.

Monopoly? When you look at the shares between android / ios you may have doubts. When you buy iphone you know what to expect. Often those who are not happy with this kind of "practice" are not concerned.

20 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

As far as I am aware, you can install the app using the files app, it will give a error about being untrusted and unusable, then you go to General->Device Management->App Developer Name-> Trust Developer, then you can launch the app like normal.

Or does the app have to meet some specific criteria for this to work? I had to load a app on my old iPhone this way for a company I work for as it wasn't available in Apples App store.

I'm not too familiar with Apples devices and policies.

6 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

you mean iOS is a privacy hellhole

does iOS track location data even if it's disabled?

She/Her

9 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

"Do note that the app will stop working after seven days if you have a free developer account, which means that you will have to repeat the sideload process in order to get it to work again."

Also wouldn't be surprised if Apple closes this "hole" if they see it's being used in-bulk for people to install an application like FN, trying to circumvent the app store.  It's Apple...they can lock shit down real quick.

I don't find the text "Do note that the app will stop working after seven days" anywhere on that page. Where is that from?

Also, I've added another link to my previous post that contains 3rd-party apps that will install apps without the App Store.

3 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

does iOS track location data even if it's disabled?

IOS and Android are currently at parity regarding this. There are ways to do it on both platforms that will probably exist forever though so enjoy that

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

So anyway, nothing at all really happened and it’s the same as before. Great work.

22 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

IOS and Android are currently at parity regarding this. There are ways to do it on both platforms that will probably exist forever though so enjoy that

the problem was google logged it on android, even if it was disabled.

She/Her

Daily reminder that no company cares about you.

2 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

the problem was google logged it on android, even if it was disabled.

https://apnews.com/828aefab64d4411bac257a07c1af0ecb/AP-Exclusive:-Google-tracks-your-movements,-like-it-or-not?te=1&nl=dealbook&emc=edit_dk_20180813

The problem was with google services, including iOS apps like Google Maps.

Seems like a fair enough decision for both sides.

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

Was kinda predictable restoration wouldn't happen under terms/conditions they agreed, also good call on not allowing apple to pursue further to destroy any non relative associative parts of EPIC as well. sounds like a fair judgement. but if apple does decide to take it further to higher they will be able to.

Details separate people.

26 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I mean you can, but that would require jailbreaking.  NVM, there's another way apparently using the developer environment.

Apple has revoked developer licences before for abusing the system.  It also requires a refresh every 7 days or something.  That is hardly what I would consider side-loading without jailbreaking.  It's effectively like a giant trial that might break at any update

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef