(Help) PSU has enough wattage, but PC doesn't turn on at all.

Santiago Arlia

Hello! First post in here. 

So, I bought an AMD Ryzen 5 3400g, and I wanted to use the integrated graphics (low budget af, I know) The motherboard I picked up is an MSI A320M A-PRO MAX (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/A320M-A-PRO-MAX) + 2x4gb of ddr4 value ram.

I wanted to use my old PSU (BXP 600, from Sentey) Is a generic PSU btw, currently running an i3 4170+4gb ram (used to have 8gb, and a gt 730, sold them for the extra cash). The PSU itself works, I'm using it right now.

Ok, the problem is that when I put all the connectors on my new motherboard, It doesn't turn on. Fans try to "spin" and then they die. I searched in google, made some posts here and there and nothing. I tried clearing CMOS. Running no ram stick, everything. 

I contacted with the retailor and I went to the shop to test it. They tested on a 550w PSU from sentey (I think) maybe 80+ white. And it turned on. 

The thing is.. 600w should be pretty OK for an APU, right? I mean, the damn thing doesn't even consume 150watts, at least from what I know. 

So, if it's not the PSU wattage, and the PSU itself works, why it doesn't turn on the new system? Can anyone help me? Should I buy another PSU? I don't have enough money to buy a 80+ PSU, only a generic 550w one.

Hope I wrote this right, and everyone who reads this can understand it. English is not my primary language, sorry for that.

It is often the least expensive part that breaks first: bad cable, bad connector, BAD POWER BUTTON, ect..I honestly think it might be the power button on the case you are trying to use.

Oh! I just watched the video.  you are trying to jump start it.  I would try using an actual power button.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

could be that the psu is just tired, and just barely still gives out enough watts for the i3 setup, but can't give enough for the 3400g setup. otherwise, 600w is more than enough.

2 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

I would try using an actual power button.

i don't see how this could possibly make the difference

3 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

It is often the least expensive part that breaks first: bad cable, bad connector, BAD POWER BUTTON, ect..I honestly think it might be the power button on the case you are trying to use.

Oh! I just watched the video.  you are trying to jump start it.  I would try using an actual power button.

Thanks for your response! Yes, I tried connecting the front pannel button, but the problem its the same.

2 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

could be that the psu is just tired, and just barely still gives out enough watts for the i3 setup, but can't give enough for the 3400g setup. otherwise, 600w is more than enough.

Damn, I didnt knew PSU's get tired over time, well, this one is like 5 years old, so I think its understandable... at some point.

1 minute ago, Santiago Arlia said:

Damn, I didnt knew PSU's get tired over time, well, this one is like 5 years old, so I think its understandable... at some point.

well, worn out, but you get the idea. cheaper ones more so.

As I said before, I contacted with the retailor and they tried with another PSU, and the PC turned on just fine, so the one who is failing here should be my PSU (that's why it's on cases and power supplies) Im fairly new to this forum and sorry if I made a mistake, but I think this is the right section. I wanted to know if someone knows why this is happening, I mean, the PSU itself works, but not with the new system.

Edited by Spotty

From what I can see from the video, that's a pretty crappy PSU and shouldn't be used no matter what.  So at least start there.

3 hours ago, Santiago Arlia said:

Hello! First post in here. 

So, I bought an AMD Ryzen 5 3400g, and I wanted to use the integrated graphics (low budget af, I know) The motherboard I picked up is an MSI A320M A-PRO MAX (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/A320M-A-PRO-MAX) + 2x4gb of ddr4 value ram.

I wanted to use my old PSU (BXP 600, from Sentey) Is a generic PSU btw, currently running an i3 4170+4gb ram (used to have 8gb, and a gt 730, sold them for the extra cash). The PSU itself works, I'm using it right now.

Ok, the problem is that when I put all the connectors on my new motherboard, It doesn't turn on. Fans try to "spin" and then they die. I searched in google, made some posts here and there and nothing. I tried clearing CMOS. Running no ram stick, everything. 

I contacted with the retailor and I went to the shop to test it. They tested on a 550w PSU from sentey (I think) maybe 80+ white. And it turned on. 

The thing is.. 600w should be pretty OK for an APU, right? I mean, the damn thing doesn't even consume 150watts, at least from what I know. 

So, if it's not the PSU wattage, and the PSU itself works, why it doesn't turn on the new system? Can anyone help me? Should I buy another PSU? I don't have enough money to buy a 80+ PSU, only a generic 550w one.

Hope I wrote this right, and everyone who reads this can understand it. English is not my primary language, sorry for that.

This may be because of a cable, or that the mbu is broken, it may also be that the psu is unable to deliver the power required to turn on (can happen sometimes) try and test with another psu if possible or some other cables

Blake has arrived!!

Just your local tech geek!

Love to help!

-= Thread Cleaned =-

@Santiago Arlia Troubleshooting a PSU in the PSU subsection is perfectly OK.

Though we have a troubleshooting section, it is intended for troubleshooting in general but troubleshooting specific items you know may be the issue is perfectly OK in the section that covers said item, such as PSU in the PSU section.

Backseat moderation is not allowed, good will intended or not. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER