suggest me a cheap graphics card for 4k video playback at 60fps

nischayvm

hello guys,

i am searching for a cheap graphics card which is "just capable for 4k video playback" for a family tv pc (probably amazon prime video)

Budget?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

17 minutes ago, nischayvm said:

hello guys,

i am searching for a cheap graphics card which is "just capable for 4k video playback" for a family tv pc (probably amazon prime video)

In my HTPC I use the integreted GPU of an i5 4670, the HD 4400, previously I used to have a Q9500 paired with a GeForce GT210 and both have no problems with Netflix, Prime Video and 4k H265 videos

Edit:Actually the Q9500/GT210 combo got laggy in 4k h265

Basically get anything that was made after 2016

if the app or browser you're using is somewhat decently programmed, integrated graphics on a relatively modern processor *should* just barely get along.

if that fails, GT1030 is the way to go.

It would be better if you could share more information on the money you are looking to shell out for this! In my personal opinion, GeForce RTX 2070 Super and Radeon RX 5700 XT should be all-round choices for sure. You could even enjoy some 4K gaming if you want with these installed.

If you have a lower budget, then you can go for the GTX 1660 or the GTX 1660 Super. Ultra-cheap models include Radeon RX 550 and GT 1030.  I’d be more than happy to share my picks knowing your budget!

Would be good to know the current specs and budget.

If your CPU is on the newer side of things and has an integrated GPU on it, that might be good enough. If it's older, then no.

Depending on your budget, and whether you're comfortable with Used instead of Brand New, you can get something quite decent and much better than the GT 1030. Like the amd 570 or the nvidia 1060, which can be had for a bit more on the used market. Or the amd 560 and the nvidia 1050 at about the same price.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

13 hours ago, DeanB097 said:

I’d be more than happy to share my picks knowing your budget!

around 60$

13 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Would be good to know the current specs and budget.

If your CPU is on the newer side of things and has an integrated GPU on it, that might be good enough. If it's older, then no.

Depending on your budget, and whether you're comfortable with Used instead of Brand New, you can get something quite decent and much better than the GT 1030. Like the amd 570 or the nvidia 1060, which can be had for a bit more on the used market. Or the amd 560 and the nvidia 1050 at about the same price.

bruh, my budget is just aroound 60$ and i am comfortable with used parts

59 minutes ago, nischayvm said:

bruh, my budget is just aroound 60$ and i am comfortable with used parts

From my experience CPU is more important than graphics card for simple video playback. A good graphics card on a slow CPU will suck (I've tried it before), a fast CPU and an awful graphics card will do fine. I'd say try out the iGPU first (as you'll probably have one anyway) and if it doesn't cut it you can always add in a gpu later. If you want to be on the safe side, get some old 750Ti or 260x.

1 hour ago, nischayvm said:

around 60$

Either a GT 1030 or a used GTX 750/950.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 hour ago, akio123008 said:

a fast CPU and an awful graphics card will do fine.

Considering I can't do 4k playback without frames skipping/lagging with a Ryzen 3600 and my "awful graphic card" from yesteryear, the GPU does matter. Even more so considering GPU HW decoder is a thing for video playback.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

Considering I can't do 4k playback without frames skipping/lagging with a Ryzen 3600 and my "awful graphic card" from yesteryear, the GPU does matter. Even more so considering GPU HW decoder is a thing for video playback.

I don't know what's going on there but my Ryzen 5 1600/r7260x does absolutely fine at 4k60.