Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Microsoft joins Epic on the fight against Apple

Summary

Phil Spencer announced on twitter that Microsoft is filing a statement supporting Epic's request to keep access to Apple SDK for Unreal engine. Losing this would mean that games/apps that use Unreal Engine would not be allowed on the App Store.

Quotes

“If Unreal Engine cannot support games for iOS or macOS, Microsoft would be required to choose between abandoning its customers and potential customers on the iOS and macOS platforms or choosing a different game engine when preparing to develop new games,” says Kevin Gammill, Microsoft’s general manager for Gaming Developer Experiences.

image.png.ca565a38ccdb380a405b1fed2af73390.png

My thoughts

In my opinion it is a huge loss for gamers/developers if Epic loses this fight. Although Unreal Engine is not known for their mobile games it is making big advancements in the field allowing for more developers to develop games for the market using their platform. Losing such a large market will just discourage developers from using Unreal in their projects... A couple of Microsoft mobile games are already running on UE so makes sense that they would join in.

Sources

https://www.androidauthority.com/microsoft-epic-apple-unreal-engine-1150532/

I like potatoes, if you don't then please just step aside and let me enjoy this potato.

16 minutes ago, snamakool123 said:

it is a huge loss for gamers/developers if Epic loses this fight

Epic played stupid games, and have won stupid prizes.

The fact that all these companies have come out "against" Apple at once makes me super suspicious about how well-organized this is. They had the suit ready in hours, an ad campaign ready in hours, multiple big-name companies with them in days, and throughout all of this, everyone has forgotten it was also nuked from the Google Play Store for the exact same reason it was nuked from the Apple App Store.

5 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

everyone has forgotten it was also nuked from the Google Play Store for the exact same reason it was nuked from the Apple App Store.

Exactly why I think its a thing against apple and not against the 30% fee.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Laptop :

Legion y520 | i5 7300hq | 1050 4gb (Manual OC) | 16gb 2400Mhz cl18 | 256 GB SSD | 2tb HDD

Server:

Xeon E3 1245 | 16gb ECC ram | 256 GB SSD | 2*2tb HDD

Just now, Smit Devrukhkar said:

I believe Play Store allows you to use other payment methods which would bypass the 30% fee

I like potatoes, if you don't then please just step aside and let me enjoy this potato.

Just now, snamakool123 said:

I believe Play Store allows you to use other payment methods which would bypass the 30% fee

Did they not remove it because epic tried to bypass it? Genuine question btw

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Laptop :

Legion y520 | i5 7300hq | 1050 4gb (Manual OC) | 16gb 2400Mhz cl18 | 256 GB SSD | 2tb HDD

Server:

Xeon E3 1245 | 16gb ECC ram | 256 GB SSD | 2*2tb HDD

10 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

everyone has forgotten it was also nuked from the Google Play Store for the exact same reason it was nuked from the Apple App Store.

With Android you can install Fornite manually by downloading the apk file from Epic website like in launched day, can't do that with iOS. I guess that's why people don't really care, and Google didn't threat to ban Unreal Engine on Android. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

13 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

They had the suit ready in hours, an ad campaign ready in hours, multiple big-name companies with them in days

Epic was obviously prepared. The others are just following suit becasue they were likely thinking the same but couldn't afford being the ones making a fuss and risking retaliation - now that Epic's done the hard part everybody will take the opportunity to attach themselves to the bandwagon.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

13 minutes ago, snamakool123 said:

11 minutes ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Did they not remove it because epic tried to bypass it? Genuine question btw

Usually you are allowed to bypass it, however the Play Store doesn't allow the bypass for games specifically. 

@pewnit

pewnit.com

42 minutes ago, snamakool123 said:

Summary

Phil Spencer announced on twitter that Microsoft is filing a statement supporting Epic's request to keep access to Apple SDK for Unreal engine. Losing this would mean that games/apps that use Unreal Engine would not be allowed on the App Store.

Quotes

image.png.ca565a38ccdb380a405b1fed2af73390.png

My thoughts

In my opinion it is a huge loss for gamers/developers if Epic loses this fight. Although Unreal Engine is not known for their mobile games it is making big advancements in the field allowing for more developers to develop games for the market using their platform. Losing such a large market will just discourage developers from using Unreal in their projects... A couple of Microsoft mobile games are already running on UE so makes sense that they would join in.

Sources

https://www.androidauthority.com/microsoft-epic-apple-unreal-engine-1150532/

I do think that this is overall a good thing for developers everywhere regardless of what the reason for doing this is. Tim Epic obviously just wanted to reduce the cut that they are charged but Tim Apple (obviously) doesn't want to do that. 

This is a great PR move for Tim Epic as well though since now people are associating them with this case more than anything (at least in the tech community, and tbf all they have to care about is how we see them). Unless Apple pulls a McDonald's and makes everyone believe that Epic was at fault (somehow), it's a win for Epic and the way Apple has been screwed over by the US Government, I do think this is an almost guaranteed win for Tim Epic. 

Although if I am wrong, I will gladly eat my words. 

@pewnit

pewnit.com

With so many big players jumping into support Epic this is going to strike a huge blow to Apple. Look don't get me wrong Epic is scum however the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Apple needs to be put in their place especially when it comes to handing out lawsuits. They can't keep acting like the good guys when trying to sue random small companies for having the letter i in their name or named after a fruit. 

Just stop selling Office for iOS/Macs then

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

Don't forgot Epic will charge you fee for unreal engine if you sell your game outside there store, they won't charge it for selling it on their store, makes me wonder if Epic owe's a cut from that pie to Apple to begin with since they refuse to pay Apple.

Im not standing behind Apple or Epic, both are shady and can't be trusted.

The issue here is that I know for a fact that Apple doesn't treat all developers the same. I have a friend whose app was not allowed for any updates because it had references to the coronavirus. 

The "reference" they are talking about here is a situation that has been in his game since 2016 (iirc) and it says that there's a global virus outbreak. What do you do?

Apple has been screwing over developers for years because they know that they're the only ones that sell to iOS users. 

@pewnit

pewnit.com

That's cool. But let's be real, who cares about about missing games on their App Store hah. Very young kids lol? 

On the other hand like Apple ever gave a slight f about gaming. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

3 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

On the other hand like Apple ever gave a slight f about gaming. 

Well they started "caring" when they could get money from it with their Arcade subscription...

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Well they started "caring" when they could get money from it with their Arcade subscription...

Ahh yes mass subscription money siphon of course. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

Gaming on phones is stupid anyway. If I want to play games on the go I get a Switch.

There is no replacement for RGB except more RGB ?

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

With Android you can install Fornite manually by downloading the apk file from Epic website like in launched day

You only have to turn on that your phone accepts programs from outside the AppStore in the developer options 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Hi

30 minutes ago, oeci said:

Gaming on phones is stupid anyway. If I want to play games on the go I get a Switch.

Not everyone has the money for a switch and is willing to buy yet another digital device 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Hi

14 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

You only have to turn on that your phone accepts programs from outside the AppStore in the developer options 

IINM, you still need signed app to install else it won't launch. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

52 minutes ago, oeci said:

Yeah, that's probably the best for most people on this forum. Most people however, don't seem to care and just want something to kill time with while they're getting their Starbucks or for their kids to play on the family iPad. 

@pewnit

pewnit.com

And I join with popcorn and watch how rich corporations screw everyone else since they'll get special treatment again and the rest will still have to pay 30% cut...

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES

2 hours ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Google there are other methods, and the SDK is still open to Epic...actually Epic could even make their own App Store if they wished on Android, which is the big difference.

2 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

The fact that all these companies have come out "against" Apple at once makes me super suspicious about how well-organized this is. They had the suit ready in hours, an ad campaign ready in hours, multiple big-name companies with them in days, and throughout all of this, everyone has forgotten it was also nuked from the Google Play Store for the exact same reason it was nuked from the Apple App Store.

Epic likely knew this was coming when they tried challenging Apple.  It's not like it's a secret amoungst developers of how Apple would have reacted.

The fact that you have other companies joining though, that part wasn't "well-organized".  Once Epic challenged Apple publicly, the other companies just joined in as some of them as well have had  similar fights or grievances with Apple.  Some of them, I am sure, likely already had a plan in place if Apple decided to impose even tougher restrictions (remember the 30% was just the tip of the iceberg...originally Apple wanted to force the pricing to be the same across other platforms).

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Epic could make their own store, but not within GooglePlay. People would have to sideload it.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES