Macbook Pro 16“ fried all USB-C ports after using a Samsung 43” monitor

I'm trying to understand what happened to my MBP because it's a rather weird situation.

I hooked my MBP to a Samsung CJ89 43" monitor directly through USB type C. It worked for a while and then suddenly the built-in screen started flashing and then the connection to the monitor was lost. While connected, the laptop's fans were running hot but I didn't give it a thought, it usually gets hot even without it connected to a monitor since I run a lot of demanding tasks on it.

After this, I realised that the MBP won't charge anymore on any port. The right side ports wouldn't do anything, while the left side ports would still charge my phone, for example.

I used the original USB-C cable from Samsung, not anything cheap, so why did this happen?

I'm mainly asking because I got the laptop fixed but I'm afraid of hooking it back up to the monitor.

43 minutes ago, ryncops said:

I'm trying to understand what happened to my MBP because it's a rather weird situation.

I hooked my MBP to a Samsung CJ89 43" monitor directly through USB type C. It worked for a while and then suddenly the built-in screen started flashing and then the connection to the monitor was lost. While connected, the laptop's fans were running hot but I didn't give it a thought, it usually gets hot even without it connected to a monitor since I run a lot of demanding tasks on it.

After this, I realised that the MBP won't charge anymore on any port. The right side ports wouldn't do anything, while the left side ports would still charge my phone, for example.

I used the original USB-C cable from Samsung, not anything cheap, so why did this happen?

I'm mainly asking because I got the laptop fixed but I'm afraid of hooking it back up to the monitor.

How are you powering the monitor? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

4 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

How are you powering the monitor? 

It's powered through it's original power brick in a multi-socket extension cord.

Just now, ryncops said:

It's powered through it's original power brick in a multi-socket extension cord.

And what was plugged into the macbook just the display or anything else? 

Just now, Lord Vile said:

And what was plugged into the macbook just the display or anything else? 

Yeah, it was just the display plugged through the monitor's 95 watt delivering USB-C.

Just now, ryncops said:

Yeah, it was just the display plugged through the monitor's 95 watt delivering USB-C.

Do the rest of the USBC ports on the Macbook were free? 

Do the rest of the USBC ports on the Macbook were free? 

I don't understand the question very well. If by free you mean unused, then yes. There was only one USB-C port used and it was used by the monitor.

Just now, ryncops said:

I don't understand the question very well. If by free you mean unused, then yes. There was only one USB-C port used and it was used by the monitor.

Ok, just sounds odd. When you got the laptop fixed did they tell you the issue? 

Ok, just sounds odd. When you got the laptop fixed did they tell you the issue? 

Not really, they just told me that they changed the motherboard...

I had another feedback from another helpful person that said it might be from the Samsung cable and that I should use Apple verified cables. He believed that the voltages where higher through Samsung cables... or something along those lines.

39 minutes ago, ryncops said:

I had another feedback from another helpful person that said it might be from the Samsung cable and that I should use Apple verified cables. He believed that the voltages where higher through Samsung cables... or something along those lines.

Could have been, sounds like the controller got fried was just trying to emilite things like you overloading it with a ton of work.

1 minute ago, Lord Vile said:

Could have been, sounds like the controller got fried was just trying to emilite things like you overloading it with a ton of work.

It was indeed under quite heavy load... still sounds weird to fry up by just using the laptop. Worse case it should've shut down, but not fry up... Thank you anyway for your help Lord Vile!

1 minute ago, ryncops said:

It was indeed under quite heavy load... still sounds weird to fry up by just using the laptop. Worse case it should've shut down, but not fry up... Thank you anyway for your help Lord Vile!

Just voltage spikes, could be anything even from the wall if you're not on a UPS or surge protector. 

1 minute ago, Lord Vile said:

Just voltage spikes, could be anything even from the wall if you're not on a UPS or surge protector. 

I see. Yep, I don't have a UPS. Might be time to invest in one :D

Hi there, I have the same issue.

I just fried my 2020 13" MacBook Pro for the second time with the Samsung CJ89 43" monitor..

First of all, this is not a "one time" issue. Check out these 2 threads (one of them is made by OP):

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/398928/macbook-pro-16-thunderbolt-ports-dead-damaged-twice-after-used-with-samsung-cj89

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/395709/macbook-pro-16-fried-all-usb-c-ports-after-using-a-samsung-43-monitor

For my Mac, not only the USB ports die, but the whole thing. It can't be turned on. Only sign of life is the haptic feedback of the touchpad. Its basically fully dead.

First time this happened, I got a warranty repair where they replaced the motherboard + Touch ID. I wasn't 100% sure the monitor caused the issue, so I kept using it. Hopefully I still get a warranty repair for the second time.

I talked with Apple support, they told me to contact Samsung support. Samsung support told me they will talk with a technician and call me back. I will update this thread about what they say.

Other symthomps I had:

(I'm using the default Samsung USB-C cable, and the 95W PC USB-C port on the monitor)

- When the mac went to sleep while plugged in into the monitor sometimes it started repeatedly playing the "charging chime" sound over and over again, and when I woke it up, it gave me the notification with the yellow warning sign saying "USB Devices Disabled". When this happened, I had to re-plug the monitor to get the display working again.

The actual "frying" happened like this:

1st time:

I powered on the monitor & plugged in the mac. I turned on the monitor. It said "check signal cable". I opened the lid of the mac to see what happened, and the mac was already dead.

2nd time:

I locked the screen. Few minutes lated I wanted to wake the mac up with the external keyboard. It said "check signal cable". I opened the lid, and nothing. I had to press the Touch ID button, and the login screen showed up. I then closed the lid, and re plugged the USB-C cable. Still no signal. I re-open the lid, and the mac is dead.

So this is where I am now. Just fried my mac for the second time..

Not sure what happens exactly, and what the monitor is doing wrong but this is just insane and should *never* happen.

Waiting for Samsung support's reply...

• 2 months later...

@xdavidhu Did you get any response from Samsung? Last month we fried two macbook pro's one usb-c port on both of them. One from 2019 and one from 2020. We already tried changing the usb-c cables and switch from multiple macbooks. Without any effect. Some strange thing that i noticed is that we can't set the monitor to 120hz anymore. When switching to the 15W usb-c port, the option is available.

• 1 month later...

@Prullebakje Not really, unfortunately. After many tries, their conclusion always was that it's not the monitor's fault. Apple support said the same thing, and said that it must be Samsungs fault. Two fried motherboards later, I am now using an USB-C to DisplayPort cable... At least the 120hz works over it. But all in all, terrible experience. I bought the monitor because of the USB-C. :/

I posted this elsewhere the first time this happened back in November right around when big sur came out but I don't think the OS is the issue:

-----------------

Samsung C43J890DKN

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports) 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 32 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X

I would occasionally leave the laptop plugged in to the monitor and come back a few hours later to it being completely dead. I have seen the USB Accessories disabled message once before. Neither of these were of any major consequence, charge it back up, even from the monitor, and it works fine.

Today I came home excited to update to Big Sur. Macbook was dead from being left connected. Sure fine this has happened before.. Except this time I can't get the right side ports to charge or reconnect to the monitor.

Left side still charges and works fine with monitor and official charger, usb c thumbdrive.

I upgraded to Big Sur, reset SMC multiple times, reset NVRAM and PRAM.

My right side thunderbolt ports do absolutely nothing while my left are functioning normally. At one point after doing all my troubleshooting steps I was charging from the functioning left side with the official charger and the USB Accessories Disabled message popped up then the macbook immediately turned off. It turned back on and has been fine but right side ports still dead.

-----------------

So it's been repaired since then, new IO board, touch ID and logic board. Pretty much a new machine, worked fine with monitor and now not even a month later I plugged it into the monitor this morning and I get nothing on either right side ports. They're completely dead again. No amount of pram/nram or smc resets will get the right side ports to work again.

Oh and thinking about it, I have also had the repeated charging chime before, that was before the first repair as I didn't dare leave it plugged into the monitor when not being used since the repair.

Honestly I think the monitor is to blame and I'll have to get an adapter to use it but I will be calling samsung. Really defeats the point of running everything off of one cord if it keeps killing laptops.

From a quick count at least 7 times from info on this thread. 

The more I ponder the issue I'm blaming the supplied usb c cable more and more. It is samsung part number BN39-02259B. Can be found online for less than $10. It's fairly stiff.

I was testing it out now on the side of my MacBook that still works and it is doing absolutely nothing now. I am not going to test it with anything else. I do not own another usb c cable with display port functionality.

I'll be purchasing the stupid expensive apple thunderbolt 3 pro cable to be sure I'm using the finest apple cable for my apple laptop and see if I have the same issue again.

If I do then we can be certain that the usbc pd on these monitors is trash and shouldn't be trusted.

• 3 months later...

Just found this thread.

New MacBook Pro 16" (late 2019 model); C43J890 monitor

Ports on right side suddenly stopped working for single connection USB-C after about 3 months of use (2 months ago).  

Ports on left side working just fine.  

I tried 4 different Thunderbolt 3 certified cables (ranging from $40 to $80 a piece) before getting one that worked. It came with a USB-C hub (that I decided not to use in favor of the monitor's hub abilities).

I have had the repeated charging chime, laptop being dead (or close to it) while plugged in, multiple less-than-full resolution experiences at wake-up, and I'm sure a few other challenges.

In all of my research, still haven't found anything that I trust diagnosing the cause.