Low profile gpu upgrade for media pc cause of video stutter

Dr0y

I'm in Canada, prices are CAD.

So the living room pc goes like that and I've been using it with that configuration for about 1+ year now :

HP 6005 pro sff

Phenom II x4 B95 3,0 GHz

GT 430 1gb ddr3

8 Gb  ddr3 (4x 2gb at 1333MHz 9-9-9-24)

Atheros/Qualcomm AR922x wireless adapter

Vaseky V800 64gb SSD

PSU 240W BTX Active PFC (89% efficiency according to the hp product page)

Temperatures are fine on the gpu side (highest max it ever got was 71 ... usually stays around 60) and the cpu is always under 40.

That pc is the only device in the house that has those problem.  Other pc and phones are just fine. 

So I watch youtube video 1080p and the image stutters/freeze really badly in some video but the audio is fine.  Strangely not all of the video does that, gamers nexus and jaystwocent stutters while gameranx doesn't.   It's ok when I watch in 720p but I would really like 1080p.  I have amazon prime and it's ok while watching in 1080p which is kinda puzzling as why prime is fine but not certain youtube video.  Maybe it has something to do with the fps of the video but really not sure about it.  

I was wondering if it was related to the low amount of vram on the gt 430 and if something like a gt 1030 ( evga gt 1030 125$) would be a bit better to watch youtube video.  In the first place I wanted to have a gtx 1650 low profile (maybe be able to do some low specs gaming and retro gaming) but I think that my psu is really not powerful enough ... about the same for the gtx 1050 ti (both are about the same price anyway at around 225$ so I would go for the more powerful of the two which is the gtx 1650 and I really dig the zotac with 4gb ddr6 memory) 

So my concern is would my psu be powerful enough to power the gtx 1650 (don't think so) or the gt 1030.  Is it powerful enough in the first place for the gt 430 or has it been barely working and starving badly when I try to play video ?

Another thing I think is on the low spec side is that wireless adapter.  It's quite old and still use pci connection and maybe it's not good enough for youtube.  Maybe all that comes from that outdated wireless adapter. 

I don't want to change the whole system as it would cost more than the price of any gpu I'm considering.  If i ever upgrade my main computer (will be aiming for mid to high end so much $$$ involved), my old one will most likely become the living room pc.  If there is any not that expensive psu that could fit in there just let me know about it too. 

Thanx for your input. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

4 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

I'm in Canada, prices are CAD.

So the living room pc goes like that and I've been using it with that configuration for about 1+ year now :

HP 6005 pro sff

Phenom II x4 B95 3,0 GHz

GT 430 1gb ddr3

8 Gb  ddr3 (4x 2gb at 1333MHz 9-9-9-24)

Atheros/Qualcomm AR922x wireless adapter

Vaseky V800 64gb SSD

PSU 240W BTX Active PFC (89% efficiency according to the hp product page)

Temperatures are fine on the gpu side (highest max it ever got was 71 ... usually stays around 60) and the cpu is always under 40.

That pc is the only device in the house that has those problem.  Other pc and phones are just fine. 

So I watch youtube video 1080p and the image stutters/freeze really badly in some video but the audio is fine.  Strangely not all of the video does that, gamers nexus and jaystwocent stutters while gameranx doesn't.   It's ok when I watch in 720p but I would really like 1080p.  I have amazon prime and it's ok while watching in 1080p which is kinda puzzling as why prime is fine but not certain youtube video.  Maybe it has something to do with the fps of the video but really not sure about it.  

I was wondering if it was related to the low amount of vram on the gt 430 and if something like a gt 1030 ( evga gt 1030 125$) would be a bit better to watch youtube video.  In the first place I wanted to have a gtx 1650 low profile (maybe be able to do some low specs gaming and retro gaming) but I think that my psu is really not powerful enough ... about the same for the gtx 1050 ti (both are about the same price anyway at around 225$ so I would go for the more powerful of the two which is the gtx 1650 and I really dig the zotac with 4gb ddr6 memory) 

So my concern is would my psu be powerful enough to power the gtx 1650 (don't think so) or the gt 1030.  Is it powerful enough in the first place for the gt 430 or has it been barely working and starving badly when I try to play video ?

Another thing I think is on the low spec side is that wireless adapter.  It's quite old and still use pci connection and maybe it's not good enough for youtube.  Maybe all that comes from that outdated wireless adapter. 

I don't want to change the whole system as it would cost more than the price of any gpu I'm considering.  If i ever upgrade my main computer (will be aiming for mid to high end so much $$$ involved), my old one will most likely become the living room pc.  If there is any not that expensive psu that could fit in there just let me know about it too. 

Thanx for your input. 

Try this extension

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/h264ify/aleakchihdccplidncghkekgioiakgal?hl=en

It transforms youtube vp9/vp8 (youtube proprietary video codec) into normal h264

9 minutes ago, Jenko32 said:

Try this extension

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/h264ify/aleakchihdccplidncghkekgioiakgal?hl=en

It transforms youtube vp9/vp8 (youtube proprietary video codec) into normal h264

I don't use chrome, I'm on firefox

(edit)

I found the extension H264ify for firefox that seems to do the same.  I might try that. 

I'm still curious about upgrading the gpu.   

Edited by Dr0y
Found one similar on firefox

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

17 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

(edit)

I found the extension H264ify for firefox that seems to do the same.  I might try that. 

I used a GT 210 paired with a Q8200/Q9500 for 1 year in my htpc and the only problem were youtube videos but it would play H264 and H265 videos just fine

I didn't really watch youtube in that computer at the time so I just ignored

But tried h264ify on different PC and it works good 

2 hours ago, Dr0y said:

(edit)

If I would have to search a GPU I would check the used market. Here in Italy I usually see GTX 600-700 for 50€ but I think these GPU are not worth it cause I have had many GPU break in the 5 year mark (even two GTX 770 break after 5 years 2 months apart) other than the fact that your PSU is a problem wattage wise here

On the other hand if you search newer GPU the PSU is a must to change. Even with a 75W GPU (i think it's the PCI Express max wattage) the PSU might handle it but if it overheat a little bit it can blow up (blowing up like dying not like destroying the house)

41 minutes ago, Jenko32 said:

If I would have to search a GPU I would check the used market. Here in Italy I usually see GTX 600-700 for 50€ but I think these GPU are not worth it cause I have had many GPU break in the 5 year mark (even two GTX 770 break after 5 years 2 months apart) other than the fact that your PSU is a problem wattage wise here

On the other hand if you search newer GPU the PSU is a must to change. Even with a 75W GPU (i think it's the PCI Express max wattage) the PSU might handle it but if it overheat a little bit it can blow up (blowing up like dying not like destroying the house)

Well the gt 1030 is supposed to draw about 30 watt at max power and that's why I was considering that one.

That psu has proprietary connection to the motherboard and a special shape so I could probably not fit a normal one.   Looking for the same psu on more recent system to see if I would find one more powerful

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

2 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

Well the gt 1030 is supposed to draw about 30 watt at max power and that's why I was considering that one.

That psu has proprietary connection to the motherboard and a special shape so I could probably not fit a normal one.   Looking for the same psu on more recent system to see if I would find one more powerful

Remember to create a comparison with the price line of a new system (like new motherboard/psu vs new psu that might end up costing more than that)

1 hour ago, Jenko32 said:

Remember to create a comparison with the price line of a new system (like new motherboard/psu vs new psu that might end up costing more than that)

I did and a new system (r3 3100, cheap matx mobo, ram, psu) is about double the price of the gtx 1650 I wanted to buy in the first place ... so about 500$ ... so it will be no go for that cause when I upgrade it will be my main system and I will aim for something high end. 

I found an adapter that could allow me to use a normal psu on that motherboard and I have a thermaltake 430W laying around that I could use if the gt 1030 needs too much power. 

https://www.amazon.ca/COMeap-Power-Adapter-Workstation-12-inch/dp/B06XW7RWNH/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1JRG8PIEYQA4O&dchild=1&keywords=24+pin+to+6+pin+adapter+hp&qid=1598230597&sprefix=24+pin+to+6+pin+%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-3

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

2 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

I did and a new system (r3 3100, cheap matx mobo, ram, psu) is about double the price of the gtx 1650 I wanted to buy in the first place ... so about 500$ ... so it will be no go for that cause when I upgrade it will be my main system and I will aim for something high end. 

I found an adapter that could allow me to use a normal psu on that motherboard and I have a thermaltake 430W laying around that I could use if the gt 1030 needs too much power. 

https://www.amazon.ca/COMeap-Power-Adapter-Workstation-12-inch/dp/B06XW7RWNH/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1JRG8PIEYQA4O&dchild=1&keywords=24+pin+to+6+pin+adapter+hp&qid=1598230597&sprefix=24+pin+to+6+pin+%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-3

That adapter would work fine for your situation and would allow you to choose from an even wider range of GPUs

Just be sure that's made for your motherboard to avoid breaking something

3 minutes ago, Jenko32 said:

That adapter would work fine for your situation and would allow you to choose from an even wider range of GPUs

Just be sure that's made for your motherboard to avoid breaking something

there's a picture with the wires color so I can compare it to my psu wires and see if those are about the same.  I expect a psu fan error as the black looped wire on the white connector is the fan sensor.  If it bothers me I will just tap that wire to a fan nearby so it could have a reading. It's explained quite well in the comment section of the amazon page. 

Besides, after searching for a psu that would fit right there, I found out that a lot of people put some gtx 750 ti or gtx 1050 ti in there and it ran perfectly well so I have some hope about the gt 1030 working just fine. 

https://www.amazon.ca/EVGA-GeForce-Passive-Graphics-02G-P4-6332-KR/dp/B071LGVBDM/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=evga%2Bgt%2B1030&qid=1598233486&sr=8-1&th=1

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

So update on that ... it seems that the stutter came from the wifi card that was probably just too old and low specs.  I got a combo wifi and bluetooth from amazon and for now it's working just fine.  Still looking into upgrading the gpu at some point but will probably wait for black friday or boxing day deals. 

Here is the wifi/bluetooth adapter.  Came with low profile bracket, the two antenna of course and there's a connector on that to plug it into an internal usb port.  For now it works like a char wifi side.  I haven't tested the bluetooth yet but I intend to use my 8bitdo snes controller on that pc for old game stuff at some point. 

20200829_140755.thumb.jpg.e55bf1c28a6cdeedd5af0718e5f731f3.jpg

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd