Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gambling and Lootboxes: Why is nothing being done in EU?

Simple answer: Because every country needs to regulate it on it's own, and public should address anything illegal to authorities if needed. But here's more meaningful insight directly from The European Commission, obtained via e-mail conversation.

************@ec.europa.eu
Tue 8/18/2020 12:08 PM

Dear Mr *******,

Thank you for your email. Please note that there is no EU legislation regulating gambling. Member States are free to adopt for public policy purposes specific legislation as long as in line with the rules on the internal market as established by the Treaty and as interpreted by the Court of Justice of the EU.

The Commission is well aware of loot-box practices such as the ones described in your email. It is for Member States to assess under which circumstances these practices actually constitute gambling within their eventual specific national law. We therefore suggest that you contact the relevant authority in your Member State of residence.

From a consumer law point of view, in-app purchases (including to open a loot box) should be marketed with sufficient transparency. Traders must communicate to consumers the existence of in-game offers and their main characteristics before the game is purchased or downloaded. Furthermore, direct exhortation to children to buy products or to persuade their parents or other adults to buy those products for them is illegal under EU consumer law. In game purchases should therefore not constitute such exhortation when presented into games targeting children or likely played by children. 

Please note that in the area of consumer protection, the European Commission has no direct enforcement powers. The enforcement of consumer protection legislation, including the rules stemming from EU Regulations and Directives, is solely the responsibility of the competent authorities of the Member States.

However, the European Commission supports and facilitates the enforcement work of the Member States in cross-border situations under the Consumer Protection Cooperation (CPC) Regulation[2], which links the competent authorities of the Member States in a pan-European enforcement (CPC) network[3]. In this context, it might be of interest to you that the CPC network, with the support of the Commission, carried out a joint enforcement action in 2014 and asked Apple, Google and the Interactive Software Federation of Europe to ensure better protection of consumers regarding in-app purchases in online games for children.[4]

Furthermore, I would also like to draw your attention to two further initiatives taken by the European Commission to protect consumers, players and, in particular minors, in respect to online gambling. Notably the 2014 Commission Recommendation on principles for the protection of consumers and players of online gambling services and the prevention of minors from gambling[5] as well as the European Strategy for Better Internet for Children, under which the Commission funded Safer Internet Centers providing training, free helplines and advice on responsible gaming[6].

We hope that this information is useful to you.

[2] Regulation (EU) 2017/2394 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 12 December 2017 on cooperation between national authorities responsible for the enforcement of consumer protection laws, OJ L 345, 27 December 2017, p. 1-26.

[4] https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_14_847.

Also, if needed, I have the formal permit to post this reply publicly:
image.png.c79cd3747a0b89174ecd0a1d6da0ff01.png

3 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

What's more of a problem is a parent giving their kid the credit card.

Yes, I agree - and I have to agree. But that's more of a cultural problem, and a social problem (even when taking the entire human population as "global village"). I just tried to give more valid insight into what's not possible to do and what's being done - the later being addressed in the second part of the e-mail, where they explained actions undertaken and currently active.

3 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

What's more of a problem is a parent giving their kid the credit card.

Often the kids just take the information from the card or consoles the card is saved as the default payment method and automatically charged. To the kids it is as simple as a couple button presses and they are in. A lot of parent don't understand the consoles or are not willing to put the effort into learning what is safe to do. A simple seperate account on the console would prevent a heap of issues. The main issue is that at least for playstation any payment method you put in is stored by force and you have to delete it every time on the website which is super clunky. A lot of people don't know that it does that and have this happen.

The EU makes tons of stupid laws but when there is something where there should be a law they don't.

Quote me or @Not Wills for a reply!

All my setup below!

Discord: !Wills#6624

Current builds:

System: AMD ryzen 5 3600 (4.35Ghz, 1.2375V) | Scythe Ninja 5 | Asus ROG B450F | Zotac Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 dual fan (OC, Core base: 1366, Core boost: 1440, Memory: 4206) (+200 core +700 memory) | Corsair 2x8GB 2666Mhz DDR4 | Kingston A400 240gb x2 | Corsair 275R Airflow | EVGA 500W 80+ White | EZDIY-FAB Black cable extensions | 

Setup: Dell S2419H | Iiyama Vision Master Pro 17 | Panasonic 40AS640 | Logitech G502 | Logitech G440 | Royal Kludge RK61 | Neewer boomarm | FiFine 669B | Razer Kracken | Sony XZ1 | iPhone XR |

11 hours ago, jaslion said:

Often the kids just take the information from the card or consoles the card is saved as the default payment method and automatically charged. To the kids it is as simple as a couple button presses and they are in. A lot of parent don't understand the consoles or are not willing to put the effort into learning what is safe to do. A simple seperate account on the console would prevent a heap of issues. The main issue is that at least for playstation any payment method you put in is stored by force and you have to delete it every time on the website which is super clunky. A lot of people don't know that it does that and have this happen.

I was aware of this issue, and I'm pretty sure it's done like that to relieve the PS system/servers. Hopefully, we'll see that changed in years to come - because it's really malpractice. They don't stop you from removing your info, but they're perfectly aware that it makes the use of the platform tedious if you do.

< removed by moderation >

11 hours ago, Not Wills said:

The EU makes tons of stupid laws but when there is something where there should be a law they don't.

As I stated above, it would be unreasonable. It would literally lead to membership blackmail.