R9 270x popped psu

Yasin40

Hi guys

I did something very stupid today

I hooked up an i3 2100 and r9 270x to a 430w psu. 

For a few days I just did heavy gaming and used heaven/furmark and aida64 to do stress tests. 

Everything seemed perfectly fine. 

According to reviews the r9 270x with an overclocked i7 would never pull above 390 watts, so I thought it was OK to use an HP 430W unit. 

Today I ran OCCT and AIDA at the same time. 

Vram and gpu tests were perfectly stable. 

Then I tried the power test.... 

It ran fine for about 10 minutes, at which point I thought OK must be good then, but then it suddenly shut off. 

I thought OK must be too much for the PSU, but I hadn't expected it to make a POP noise, smoke, and see blue electric shocks from the back of my case. 

It was so catastrophic in fact that it had managed to shut off all electricity to the upstairs part of my house. 

Now I've put a 460 Watt Delta unit from an HP workstation in it, which according to what I've read is a very reliable psu and ran some games. It worked fine. 

I then ran the OCCT power test for a minute and got scared it was gonna blow up too. 

What should I do guys? 

The reason I was testing the PC is because I want to sell it for a small profit, but I would never ever sell something that doesn't work well and could potentially be dangerous. 

Any idea where I could find decent (used) 500+ Watt PSUs for cheap? 

Very sorry for the long post but the PSU imploding really scared me and I'm still on a bit of an adrenaline high. 

Thanks for reading and your advice. 

2 minutes ago, Yasin40 said:

Hi guys

I did something very stupid today

I hooked up an i3 2100 and r9 270x to a 430w psu. 

For a few days I just did heavy gaming and used heaven/furmark and aida64 to do stress tests. 

Everything seemed perfectly fine. 

According to reviews the r9 270x with an overclocked i7 would never pull above 390 watts, so I thought it was OK to use an HP 430W unit. 

Today I ran OCCT and AIDA at the same time. 

Vram and gpu tests were perfectly stable. 

Then I tried the power test.... 

It ran fine for about 10 minutes, at which point I thought OK must be good then, but then it suddenly shut off. 

I thought OK must be too much for the PSU, but I hadn't expected it to make a POP noise, smoke, and see blue electric shocks from the back of my case. 

It was so catastrophic in fact that it had managed to shut off all electricity to the upstairs part of my house. 

Now I've put a 460 Watt Delta unit from an HP workstation in it, which according to what I've read is a very reliable psu and ran some games. It worked fine. 

I then ran the OCCT power test for a minute and got scared it was gonna blow up too. 

What should I do guys? 

The reason I was testing the PC is because I want to sell it for a small profit, but I would never ever sell something that doesn't work well and could potentially be dangerous. 

Any idea where I could find decent (used) 500+ Watt PSUs for cheap? 

Very sorry for the long post but the PSU imploding really scared me and I'm still on a bit of an adrenaline high. 

Thanks for reading and your advice. 

Honestly, eBay has loads of used psu’s just see where they are on the tier list

2 minutes ago, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

Thats a old PSU. Better off with something newer. It's still decent tho

image.png.cdf2f92ba7e9c6f26e8b56416a536117.png

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

Your PSU blew up not because 430W of power is not enough but because it is a poor quality unit and probably doesn't even provide that much power through the 12V rail. However, I don't understand why you still want to buy something cheap after you just experienced what happens with cheap units. I recommend buying something like System Power 9 400W. I checked that you can get it for €45 at one of your local shops. Also, you can show us the label of that Delta unit, maybe it will be good enough for now.