should i upgrade my motherboard

I have a Asrock z390 Extreme4 with a 9700k but the motherboard doesnt fully work with my 4400mhz ram i have it clocked at 4200 to get it to boot and half the time it doesnt set my xmp. i was going to wait for the 11th or 12th gen intels to come out to get a new motherboard but i think at this point i should get a new one.

Memory speed is still mostly dependent on the CPU as it contains the memory controller. Board has very little to do with it. Your 9700K might not be good enough to support 4400. 
The only thing to solve that is to upgrade the CPU and pray it has a better memory controller.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Memory speed is still mostly dependent on the CPU as it contains the memory controller. Board has very little to do with it. Your 9700K might not be good enough to support 4400. 
The only thing to solve that is to upgrade the CPU and pray it has a better memory controller.

damn guess ill just wait for the 11th gen cpus or 10th price to go down

53 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Board has very little to do with it.

From my understanding, this is not entirely true.

Yes, the CPU memory controller has to be able to run the RAM at that speed, but the motherboard quality will definitely impact whether or not the RAM will be able to hit even its advertised speeds, both on a UEFI/BIOS level and a component level.

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

55 minutes ago, NickPickerWI said:

From my understanding, this is not entirely true.

Yes, the CPU memory controller has to be able to run the RAM at that speed, but the motherboard quality will definitely impact whether or not the RAM will be able to hit even its advertised speeds, both on a UEFI/BIOS level and a component level.

I'd say AsRock AsRock extreme 4 is pretty low end. 

But even if we suggest the top board, still cant guarantee he'll have better results.

That said 200mhz (100mhz effective) clock increase will show no real increase in Performance any ways. Probably not worth the money spent imo.

16 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'd say AsRock AsRock extreme 4 is pretty low end. 

But even if we suggest the top board, still cant guarantee he'll have better results.

That said 200mhz (100mhz effective) clock increase will show no real increase in Performance any ways. Probably not worth the money spent imo.

agreed