What is DisplayPort 1.4 Display Stream Compression

e22big
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

It's a real time near lossless image compression ... the video card compresses the image on the screen and sends it to the monitor, and the monitor must have a processor powerful enough to decompress the frames as they come.

The image compression is something like... let's say a mix between PNG images (lossless) and JPG 95% or better, basically difficult to spot artifacts... but it's not lossless, bit exact. 

DSC must be supported by the processor inside the monitor.... so if your monitor is old it won't be supported.

See VESA and MIPI Announce Display Stream Compression Standard

and the whitepaper here that's more technical : http://www.vesa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/VESA_DSC-ETP200.pdf

Just watch this video from James

And I am confused about what he mentioned at aroudn 1:45 of the video. I understood that DisplayPort 1.4 doesn't support 4k, 120fps, at 10 Bit colour but with DSC it now.. can? What does this mean for an older monitor with DP 1.4? are they all going to support 4k 120fps 10bit now with firmware update? or it will only be available for any display that came after GL950? 

Really confused about it, do you guy have any idea?

5 minutes ago, e22big said:

Just watch this video from James

And I am confused about what he mentioned at aroudn 1:45 of the video. I understood that DisplayPort 1.4 doesn't support 4k, 120fps, at 10 Bit colour but with DSC it now.. can? What does this mean for an older monitor with DP 1.4? are they all going to support 4k 120fps 10bit now with firmware update? or it will only be available for any display that came after GL950? 

Really confused about it, do you guy have any idea?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#1.4

It's a real time near lossless image compression ... the video card compresses the image on the screen and sends it to the monitor, and the monitor must have a processor powerful enough to decompress the frames as they come.

The image compression is something like... let's say a mix between PNG images (lossless) and JPG 95% or better, basically difficult to spot artifacts... but it's not lossless, bit exact. 

DSC must be supported by the processor inside the monitor.... so if your monitor is old it won't be supported.

and the whitepaper here that's more technical : http://www.vesa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/VESA_DSC-ETP200.pdf

21 minutes ago, mariushm said:

thanks man, I guess this is it

but damn, this make display standard even more confusing that it already is - so if you are buying a 4k 120hz with DP 1.4, you will also have to check if it's DP 1.4 that support 4k 120hz 10 bit. That will sure confuse the hell out of me when I am looking to buy a new monitor