Time to ascend, AW3420DW?

Andreas Lilja

It's on sale on Dell Canada for 1,270 Canuckian dollars after tax (with 15% coupon). My budget was roughly 2k. 

Heavily leaning towards Dell because of warranty and overall quality, read many horror stories especially about LG, which seems currently like a common alternative.

No HDR seems like an obvious con.

Searching for 34-35 inch 1440p ultrawide. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

$1000 usd for that? seems excessive. there are many 34inch 1440p ultrawides half that price. why are you looking at dell? they don't make they good monitors...

Edit: wdym by No HDR is a con?

Edit 2: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#F=863600000,1651000000&r=512001440,344001440&sort=price&page=1

^^^ here... US$500 monitors that are likely better

17 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

It's on sale on Dell Canada for 1,270 Canuckian dollars after tax (with 15% coupon). My budget was roughly 2k. 

Heavily leaning towards Dell because of warranty and overall quality, read many horror stories especially about LG, which seems currently like a common alternative.

No HDR seems like an obvious con.

Searching for 34-35 inch 1440p ultrawide. 

1000$+ for that? It's alienware you are paying a LOT for the branding and not for the monitor sure it's alright but there is better out there for less or the same for half the price or lower.

Did I mention it was for gaming, so Gsync is definitely on the table amongst other things? 120hz?

@Saksham @jaslion

Most buying guides I'm finding are either ASUS ROG, Samsung, LG, Acer Predator, etc. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 minute ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Did I mention it was for gaming, so Gsync is definitely on the table amongst other things? 

@Saksham @jaslion

Most buying guides I'm finding are either ASUS ROG, Samsung, LG, Acer Predator, etc. 

The guides aren't wrong asus and lg are both really good gaming monitor makers with acer not far behind. Samsung is also great but can be more hit or miss on their models but when they do hit they hit hard.

Alienware isn't because it's just not worth the big markup for a displaypanel that can be found in cheaper monitors too. Also you don't need gsync. Freesync works with nvidia too now so if a monitor doesn't have gsync but does have freesync don't drop it do consider it.

dont EVER buy based on brand. Buy based on the specific product. look for reviews and buy those products. If there are no good reviews, don't buy it. It's that simple. For reliable sources of reviews for monitors, look for reviews on RTINGS website, HardwareUnboxed youtube channel, and other technical news outlets like annandtech. 

For monitors, superficial reviews that just read out the specs are bullshit. Specs don't mean anything for monitors.

quick example.... many monitors advertise 1ms response time. But, that means 1000hz monitor (1/1000ms). Now those don't exist to they? marketing is BS.

RTINGS and HardwareUnboxed test these claims and see the actual performance of a monitor and give objective recommendations.

tl;dr Don't buy based on brand, don't buy based on specs, HDR400 is a scam.