Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AIO has gone AWAL

Go to solution Solved by DGBuildsPCs,

If you have the space and don't want to do a full custom loop, go with a nice Noctua Air cooler, they're awesome and quiet and low maintenance.

TL;DR: I did some maintenance to my AIO, now my PC barely works 'cause of thermals. I think that there is air in the pump. Should I try to fix it, or just get a new cooler? Would a good air cooler be a better replacement?

In 2014, my brother became the lucky owner of an Alienware Area 51 R2, outfitted with an i7-5820k. Recently, he got a laptop and he prefers to use it for gaming. Since I adopted the R2, I decided to give it a real upgrade, A GTX1080, and do some overclocking to squeeze out as much performance as possible. I managed to get a stable overclock at ~4.2ghz (that 5820k really still is a beast), but after running cinebench, I noticed some epic thermal throttling back town to ~2.5ghz. I thought perhaps the thermal compound had gone bad, and it would be good practice to replace it. Also, the radiator/case fan was absurdly loud at full crank, so I wanted to replace that too. After replacing the thermal compound, instead of better performance, the CPU throttles at idle down to ~0.8ghz. The computer is unusable. 

The cooler is the factory one, a K31VH 0K31VH. A 120mm AIO. I made sure I mounted the cooler level to the CPU. I can hear the crackling of air somewhere in the loop. My guess is that when I took the cooler off, the air trapped in the radiator made its way to the pump. Any way to remedy this? Should I? I heard that for the most part, 120mm AIOs are pretty useless, and I'm better off with a big ol' air cooler. I'm probably gonna have to replace the cooler anyways, since this one if pretty old, and running with barely any water in the pump can't be good for it.

7 minutes ago, PixelGeek said:

In 2014,

I guess that explains a lot

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Hi

If you have the space and don't want to do a full custom loop, go with a nice Noctua Air cooler, they're awesome and quiet and low maintenance.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz | GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1660 Ventus 6GB OC | PSU: Corsair CX750M Semi Modular 80+ Bronze | Storage: Kingston A400 480GB SSD and WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD

Comic Sans FTW.

8 minutes ago, PixelGeek said:

I heard that for the most part, 120mm AIOs are pretty useless

Not really, depends who's made it and it design, but this will be some generic AIO made for Dell.

I use a Corsair H80i V2 120mm AIO and it does me fine keeping my CPU, AMD FX-8350, below 50*C under heavy load and this CPU has an All-Core overclock to 4.42Ghz with a all core boost to 4.6Ghz. It never thermal throttles or overheats with this AIO.

You case will have limited space for a big air cooler, and the MB has RAM slots on either side of the CPU socket so clearance is also and issue.

Maybe get an NZXT Kraken 120mm AIO or similar AIO to replace the cheap generic one that's in there.

Just be sure to check measurements of anything you wish to buy with space in your case as the case for this PC is not exactly standard lol.

Yeah, well made AIOs are always a good option. I suggested the Air cooler because they're basically maintenance free for the most part, no worries about air getting trapped in the pump or anything like that. But, if space with RAM clearance on your board is an issue then a well made AIO is going to be the best bet, the random made one from Dell might not even be worth the material it was made from. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz | GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1660 Ventus 6GB OC | PSU: Corsair CX750M Semi Modular 80+ Bronze | Storage: Kingston A400 480GB SSD and WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD

Comic Sans FTW.

54 minutes ago, PixelGeek said:

What kind of room do you have in your case?

Comic Sans FTW.