Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oracle reportedly in talks to acquire TikTok’s

Summary

The Trump administration signed an executive order on August 14th ordering ByteDance to sell its U.S. operations within 90 days or face a ban.

Oracle is trying to buy tiktok. we already know microsoft and twitter are also in talks for acquisition from bytedance. 

US President Donald Trump has said tech giant Oracle would be "a great company" to take over TikTok US operations.

now of course bytedance hasn't even offered a price for sell, or even if they will sell in first place.

Quotes

In China, the foreign equivalents of TikTok and WeChat — video and messaging apps such as YouTube and WhatsApp — have been banned for years. The country’s extensive blocking, censorship and surveillance violate just about every principle of internet openness and decency. China keeps a closed and censorial internet economy at home while its products enjoy full access to open markets abroad.

The asymmetry is unfair and ought no longer be tolerated. The privilege of full internet access — the open internet — should be extended only to companies from countries that respect that openness themselves.

Behind the TikTok controversy is an important struggle between two dueling visions of the internet. The first is an older vision: the idea that the internet should, in a neutral fashion, connect everyone, and that blocking and censorship of sites by nation-states should be rare and justified by more than the will of the ruler. The second and newer vision, of which China has been the leading exponent, is “net nationalism,” which views the country’s internet primarily as a tool of state power. Economic growth, surveillance and thought control, from this perspective, are the internet’s most important functions.

China, in furtherance of this vision, bans not only most foreign competitors to its tech businesses but also foreign sources of news, religious instruction and other information, while using the internet to promote state propaganda and engage in foreign electoral interference. Though China is the pioneer of net nationalism, it is on the rise elsewhere, particularly in nations like Saudi Arabia and Iran and, more recently, Turkey and India.

None of this is to claim that when it comes to internet surveillance, the United States government or American tech firms are free from sin. Nor is it to defend the bellicose and unilateral manner in which Mr. Trump has handled TikTok and WeChat. He is the wrong figure to be fighting this fight, particularly because his inclinations are suspect. One imagines he might prefer an American internet designed to serve his propaganda needs. A better approach would be for more of the world to isolate China in concert.

My thoughts

ok i know its a little too late, it was on techlinked, but couldn't find any forum page on it , so let's talk about this. The only reason Trump is siding with Oracle is, Larry Ellison (founder of Oracle, now CTO) has helped his campaign; alot. Of all companies on earth, none of them are as ruthless and scummy as oracle. Remember this is the same company that is still continuing the lawsuit against google for java api names 10+ years after and how google is violating a copyright. this is also the same company that charges for jvm per machine. they left mysql to die, for people to pay for oracle db. do i even need to mention solaris. what about countless of tech they buy just to kill it so they dont have a competitor. i digress. I cant even imagine what kind of ruthless plans would oracle have for tiktok. lets hope microsoft acquires it.

Sources

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/08/18/oracle-reportedly-in-talks-to-acquire-tiktoks-u-s-operations/

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53830533 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/18/opinion/tiktok-wechat-ban-trump.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_v._Oracle_America

whoever it is,better do it fast if they want the app to survive before the set time limit expires

Details separate people.

5 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

whoever it is,better do it fast if they want the app to survive before the time set limit expires

well yes but no to oracle.  

trump will use tiktok for his campaign.

trump dance challenge!

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

trump will use tiktok for his campaign.

trump dance challenge!

lol imagine

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Oracle? But why would they?

why they wouldn't, oracle likes to put its claws against everything. as i said one of the worst companies on earth.  correction universe.

3 minutes ago, ACEHACK said:

why they wouldn't, oracle likes to put its claws against everything. as i said one of the worst companies on earth.  correction universe.

Oracle buys a lot of things but nothing like this, it's nearly as odd as Microsoft investing in Apple.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Oracle buys a lot of things but nothing like this, it's nearly as odd as Microsoft investing in Apple.

It is a business, they will aquire something if it is profitable to do so. Tiktok rakes in so much cash Im not surprised that every tech company and their dog has their eyes on it.

Main Computer

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||    Radeon RX 460   ||||  32GB DDR3-1866   ||||  MSI SLI Krait Edition Z97s   ||||  Antec Signature 600w

500GB Samung 840EVO |  240GB Sandisk SSD Plus

Laptop - Lenovo Y700

Ubuntu   |||   Intel Core i7-6700HQ  |||   8GB DDR4-2133   |||   GeForce GTX 960m

120GB SSD

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Lubuntu  ||||   Intel Core i5-2400   ||||   8GB DDR3-1333

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC

Lubuntu  |||  Intel Core i3-4170  |||  8GB DDR3-1333

120GB SSD

Just now, seapriestess said:

It is a business, they will aquire something if it is profitable to do so. Tiktok rakes in so much cash Im not surprised that every tech company and their dog has their eyes on it.

yeah but not really, historically oracle has always been after a patent or a technology that they can use to screw over the competition if not kill it entirely. and buying a social media platform, that is really out of character for them. that said, i hope it never happens, god knows how oracle will use this.

4 minutes ago, seapriestess said:

Not if it has nothing to do with their business model and is only a potential liability in terms of both long term prospects and legal issues. Oracle just is not a company that has anything to do with this kind of market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Oracle

They haven't brought a single thing that doesn't directly relate to corporate and enterprise, something TikTok has nothing to do with.

Just now, leadeater said:

Not if it has nothing to do with their business model and is only a potential liability in terms of both long term prospects and legal issues. Oracle just is not a company that has anything to do with this kind of market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Oracle

They haven't brought a single thing that doesn't directly relate to corporate and enterprise, something TikTok has nothing to do with.

Just now, ACEHACK said:

yeah but not really, historically oracle has always been after a patent or a technology that they can use to screw over the competition if not kill it entirely. and buying a social media platform, that is really out of character for them. that said, i hope it never happens, god knows how oracle will use this.

Fair enough.

Main Computer

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||    Radeon RX 460   ||||  32GB DDR3-1866   ||||  MSI SLI Krait Edition Z97s   ||||  Antec Signature 600w

500GB Samung 840EVO |  240GB Sandisk SSD Plus

Laptop - Lenovo Y700

Ubuntu   |||   Intel Core i7-6700HQ  |||   8GB DDR4-2133   |||   GeForce GTX 960m

120GB SSD

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Lubuntu  ||||   Intel Core i5-2400   ||||   8GB DDR3-1333

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC

Lubuntu  |||  Intel Core i3-4170  |||  8GB DDR3-1333

120GB SSD

1 minute ago, seapriestess said:

Fair enough.

looking how they are still screwing over google for android after 10+ years for api copyright bullshit, i can only imagine they would be interested in this for lawsuits against anyone else.

Considering the value of TikTok - I doubt that any proper company would be able to afford it. I mean if you're raking in millions, or even billions per year, you might have some skeletons in your closet. 

I hope this happens since Oracle is probably the best at killing things and I really want this clock app to finally die.

Does that mean we get a new MySQL version featuring neural networks from idiot TikTok videos?