Need Suggestions for a Laptop for My Mom (a teacher)

So a bit of background: My mom is a teacher and it appears that she may start off this new school year continuing to work from home. 

Currently she is using her Microsoft Surface 2 (from like 2012-ish?) It does her well but starting to slow down and not hold a charge so it's time for an upgrade. 

Budget: $1000-$1500 ballpark

Size: She is looking for something in size space of her Surface, so I am leaning towards a 13". I think I could talk her into a 15" if needed, but more towards the 13". 

Specs: She's not someone who buys computers very often so something that will hold up overtime is a must. Thinking i7 with at least 16gb of memory. (She's a heavy multitasker) No dedicated graphics needed. 

Touch screen would be a big plus as well if it doesn't compromise on specs. She's used to the touch on her surface and very set in her ways. 

Looking for something on the thinner end. 

Also, needs ability to dock so she can easily hook up the laptop to her TV and charge. She does some media consumption in that fashion. 

My initial gut reaction was to go towards the XPS 13 but wanted to see if anyone had any other opinions. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

3 minutes ago, Skipple said:

So a bit of background: My mom is a teacher and it appears that she may start off this new school year continuing to work from home. 

Currently she is using her Microsoft Surface 2 (from like 2012-ish?) It does her well but starting to slow down and not hold a charge so it's time for an upgrade. 

Budget: $1000-$1500 ballpark

Size: She is looking for something in size space of her Surface, so I am leaning towards a 13". I think I could talk her into a 15" if needed, but more towards the 13". 

Specs: She's not someone who buys computers very often so something that will hold up overtime is a must. Thinking i7 with at least 16gb of memory. (She's a heavy multitasker) No dedicated graphics needed. 

Touch screen would be a big plus as well if it doesn't compromise on specs. She's used to the touch on her surface and very set in her ways. 

Looking for something on the thinner end. 

Also, needs ability to dock so she can easily hook up the laptop to her TV and charge. She does some media consumption in that fashion. 

My initial gut reaction was to go towards the XPS 13 but wanted to see if anyone had any other opinions. 

a slightly older dell precision workstation laptop u can find on ebay with the docking station is pretty cheap and is very powerfull (but not too big or too hot or any of the problems gaming computers have)

Dell XPS would be a good go to. LTT just put out a video about some LG laptops that would probably work well to. I tend to prefer Lenovo myself, there thinkpads are great.

Just now, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

a slightly older dell precision workstation laptop u can find on ebay with the docking station is pretty cheap and is very powerfull (but not too big or too hot or any of the problems gaming computers have)

While I like the idea, I highly doubt she would go for a used laptop. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

1 minute ago, CWALD said:

I tend to prefer Lenovo myself, there thinkpads are great.

I do too, and I use one for my daily driver for work... but looking at the spec sheet in comparison to the XPS lineup, the price to spec doesn't seem to be worth it... 

ask me about my homelab

2 minutes ago, Skipple said:

While I like the idea, I highly doubt she would go for a used laptop. 

the problem is new ultra-books with the exception of Thinkpads dont have docking stations...note that ideapads Dont have docking stations

2 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

I just got one of these to use as parts and after trying it I think I might keep it. the one I got would probably be a bit big and heavy for this use case but it packs a punch for cheap!

1 minute ago, Skipple said:

I do too, and I use one for my daily driver for work... but looking at the spec sheet in comparison to the XPS lineup, the price to spec doesn't seem to be worth it... 

You definitely pay for them but while mine is starting to age it has aged well. It feels robust and has outlasted a Sony Visio and and HP EliteBook.

Thinkpad X13 Yoga

Thinkpad X390

+ Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 dock 2.0

That's probably what I'd go for.

But for that config you'd need to go for the 8GB models. Not sure if that's enough RAM. It's also soldered... so meeeeh.

Edit:
HP Envy 13 is another choice. Quite a bit cheaper than the Thinkpads and comes with 16GB of RAM and also TB3.