Im getting really Pee'd off with Microsoft

Si UK
On 8/20/2020 at 6:44 PM, Alan G said:

I am constantly baffled why people just don't delay the updates until all the dust has cleared.  I set the major updates to delay by 90 days and the monthly updates by 15 days.  I never have to deal with the mistakes MSFT makes and by the time I am ready to update everything is just fine.  Right now I am on 1909 until December.

yea that's fair. i live on the edge and run Insider Preview builds. they are actually not all bad, most issues i have with Windows develop over time and then i have to reinstall, but because i get an entirely new OS basically every week or so those issues don't develop. 

i'm not stupid though, i have a backup system on 1909 just in case a new build messes up my main machine. 

Edited by Ashley xD
typo

She/Her

So from experience, I have had an update loop problem with Windows. It was, in all cases, that I experienced this (which affected previous version of Windows), drivers.

Basically, the manufacture screwed up in various ways (such as version number), and so, Windows Update thinks you have an update, you install that driver, then check again for update, and here you go, the same driver again, wanting to install.. you install it, and check again, and look who is back.

The only fix is to uninstall the driver, remove all traces of it, and install the latest drivers from the manufacture website, restart and hope that fixes the problem by having even newer drivers that is being delivered to Windows Update... and hope that someone noticed this and fixes by then before things catches up.

Alternatively, you can use Microsoft tool here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

to hide a broken driver update. It will block it the update up until the next version of Windows 10 is released. This is because when you update to a new version of Windows 10, it performs an actual OS upgrade, like if you passed from say Windows Vista to 7, or 7 to 8, etc. But in this case, it remains Windows 10 in name. And so, all drivers and software are re-installed, and their configurations are transferred over.

@GoodBytes isn't that fixed now though? for me driver updates are marked as optional in Windows Update and it doesn't install them by itself even on the latest insider build. 

She/Her