Prompt user to load edited comments, just like reply

Moonzy
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

A post edited button is a good idea, but it's not possible to retrofit the existing "x new replies" behaviour to support that. I've suggested it to IPS, but they rarely respond to feedback so the chances are that it won't happen.

It may be feasible for me to add it, but I won't promise anything and it's unlikely to be in the next update.

image.png.ff98e6a3536758fb728ee5cd9712ecaa.png

this but for edited comments

"1 reply has been edited Show Edited Reply"

because I'm dumb and always needs to edit my posts

and people im replying to might see the wrong info and that's not good

and posting more than one post is sorta spammy

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Thank god I thought I was the only one who did this. 

Seriously, like 50% of the comments I make I have to go back and edit for something. 

Maybe I just hit the save button to aggressively. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

your not the only one

and I like this idea

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I like the idea and I was actually hoping for this a few days ago. But then you would get notifications whenever someone fixes some spelling mistakes which would get annoying. Would it be possible for the alert to only be sent if they mark it so the message shows as edited?

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Yes please, Im an editing fiend.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

I'm also a member of the post first edit later club.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Better yet, if it could just automatically refresh without even having to mention or ask, but I suspect that can't be done.  Well, with that said I suspect this can't be done anyway but I hope it can, it would make a lot of sense.  As for the notifications, if possible it would be good not to get them as I agree that would be excessive.  Just a note for when you're actively viewing the page.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Better yet, if it could just automatically refresh without even having to mention or ask

i wouldnt like the idea of a whole page refresh without me prompting

might be in the middle of typing a reply

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I suspect this can't be done anyway but I hope it can

same, and same

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

As for the notifications, if possible it would be good not to get them as I agree that would be excessive.

no notification at the bell needed, just the prompt on the left side when you're viewing the page (like if someone replied at a page you didnt follow, you'll still get the notification of new replies on the left)

i like the idea of editor picking if we should notify the reader, because small edits like spelling isnt too important

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

i wouldnt like the idea of a whole page refresh without me prompting

might be in the middle of typing a reply

I guess I should clarify, I don't mean an old-school sledgehammer full page reload like hitting the browser button, I mean like how it dynamically adds new replies with you click "show reply", just instead of showing new ones, it would update the existing ones (but as I said, with the added convenience of it just happening rather than prompting you with a link at all).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

just instead of showing new ones, it would update the existing ones

yea but i wish it directed me to the edited post, because it's hard to hunt for edited posts

maybe show the added things in highlight? that would be neat asking for a lot here

10 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

i quickly edit my posts for typos and postscript thoughts

that's why maybe allow editor to choose whether to notify the reader on the current page

typo need not be notified, but error in facts, or additional thoughts should be notified

I edit constantly -- I usually panic when I see OP visit the thread before I'm done editing.

I think a button like below would be awesome:

image.thumb.png.0ee7f39ebe76f0ddb107659cfe2e2b96.png

This might introduce the potential to have a edit history popup modal to actually see what changed since you loaded the post, styled similarly to StackOverflow. I would suggest that this only be accessible when refreshing a post.

image.thumb.png.9539667445f3e731c120c76512597fd2.png

Seems like the edit history portion would be possible (https://invisioncommunity.com/developers/docs/fundamentals/comments/implementing-edit-history-for-comments-r105/), though I would not know the technical implications of adding such a system.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

A post edited button is a good idea, but it's not possible to retrofit the existing "x new replies" behaviour to support that. I've suggested it to IPS, but they rarely respond to feedback so the chances are that it won't happen.

It may be feasible for me to add it, but I won't promise anything and it's unlikely to be in the next update.

HTTP/2 203

one small issue with showing edited history is risk of exposing sensitive information (that i sometimes edit out)

countermeasures should be taken to prevent this