Internet Lag on Select games

The Real Deadpool

Hello any readers!

I currently have a problem with select games that actually all seem to be Steam Related. When I play Select  games they start to have lag spikes or delays of 4 seconds.
Note: I have never had this problem before and I've spent some time trying different things before asking.
Current specs if needed;
-Taichi Ult mobo
-Msi gtx 1080 
-Ryzen 5 2600
-32gb ram
-Wired Internet connection

Things that I have tried to Fix this Lag;
-Update all drivers
-Priority On games that lag and steam
-Closed anything while gaming
-Checked Router for updates   ( Router i have NetGear AC2300)
-Checked the Wired cable connected to PC.

Games that are currently lagging that i have tested;
Risk of Rain 2 (4 sec delay)  **Never lagged then one day it did**
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Constant lower connection... This one might be just the game in general?
Brawlhalla (big spikes at random)
Rocket Arena (spikes)
Vr Chat (not really as of recently.)

Not the best at explaining these things. Hopefully that's informative.
Didn't Really try TracerT idk how to.I didn't fully understand how to sadly :c .   Seeing i narrowed it down to steam games 

how many devices on your internet(wifi and ethernet)? What speeds do you pay for? what time does the spike happen (only day/only evening/all the time)?

What ISP? What modem? Did you buy your own modem or is it the ISP provided one?

Troubleshooting lagging is really time consuming so let give you a hint on where to start:

First check your pc and see if the temperature is well within reason while gaming.

Use HWInfo64, it will record the max temperatures in your system. A hot cpu that clocks down until temps are below the threshold, will cause a significant delay or lag.

You want your Ryzen to stay below 70 under full load, short spikes up to the 90s are not a problem as long as those are only short spikes.

If you can rule out other demanding games and if your temps are good, than you can rule out your PC and your infrastructure (internet, networking, etc. ), now look at what those games have in common, maybe they use all are hosted on servers overseas or you are logging in at a busy hour maybe?

Do they use the same anti-cheat software, etc.

You want to rule out as much as possible to find a solution.

I have not played any of the games you have mentioned other than Battlefront, which runs great and sometimes it doesn't, nothing new there.

36 minutes ago, Saksham said:

how many devices on your internet(wifi and ethernet)? What speeds do you pay for? what time does the spike happen (only day/only evening/all the time)?

What ISP? What modem? Did you buy your own modem or is it the ISP provided one?

4 phones, 3 tv's (2 are like almost always off). Ethernet (Changed wire recently incase it was damaged). Any time of day the lag happens i can be the only one using the internet. Charter aka Spectrum. AC2600 (less than 1 year old) IPS gives one.

I can run speed test and everything is normal. i can play Games like Sea of thieves and be completely fine (not on steam)

21 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Troubleshooting lagging is really time consuming so let give you a hint on where to start:

First check your pc and see if the temperature is well within reason while gaming.

Use HWInfo64, it will record the max temperatures in your system. A hot cpu that clocks down until temps are below the threshold, will cause a significant delay or lag.

You want your Ryzen to stay below 70 under full load, short spikes up to the 90s are not a problem as long as those are only short spikes.

If you can rule out other demanding games and if your temps are good, than you can rule out your PC and your infrastructure (internet, networking, etc. ), now look at what those games have in common, maybe they use all are hosted on servers overseas or you are logging in at a busy hour maybe?

Do they use the same anti-cheat software, etc.

You want to rule out as much as possible to find a solution.

I have not played any of the games you have mentioned other than Battlefront, which runs great and sometimes it doesn't, nothing new there.

All of my temps since day one were set to bee as cool as possible within reason to noise from fans. i have everything under corsairs ICUE and a COmmerder pro for the fans. Gpu never hits over 70 bc of msi afterburner fan setup.

I will relook into the CPU maybe this time of year the Water temp is going up on the cpu.

4 minutes ago, The Real Deadpool said:

All of my temps since day one were set to bee as cool as possible within reason to noise from fans. i have everything under corsairs ICUE and a COmmerder pro for the fans. Gpu never hits over 70 bc of msi afterburner fan setup.

I will relook into the CPU maybe this time of year the Water temp is going up on the cpu.

Adjust the fan curve so you will have max rpm on the pump and fans at 60 or 65 C. With closed windows and no AC, the ambient temperature will rise significantly enough to upset your fine tuned settings.

11 minutes ago, The Real Deadpool said:

You want your Ryzen to stay below 70 under full load

I read this as  Fahrenheit not Celsius , Lmao sorry

4 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Adjust the fan curve so you will have max rpm on the pump and fans at 60 or 65 C. With closed windows and no AC, the ambient temperature will rise significantly enough to upset your fine tuned settings.

But a decent amount of time windows are closed and ac off. I set up the temps that way.

Edit: Going to play 1 round of Battlefront for the HWmonitor

Temp Curve.png

Edited by The Real Deadpool

download speedtest (ookla) on your phone. When you run a test on that, it gives you more info like jitter and packet loss. please report those numbers too. also, what speed are you paying for? 

Edit: is this dsl? satellite? fiber?

50 minutes ago, Saksham said:

download speedtest (ookla) on your phone. When you run a test on that, it gives you more info like jitter and packet loss. please report those numbers too. also, what speed are you paying for? 

Edit: is this dsl? satellite? fiber?

I dont know the exact package from charter... its DSL. But i get about ~12-13MB download and ~10-11 Upload

Note: In bed now gotta wake up for 5am so last message  for today.

I will try to run this after work tomorrow (around 7 when I play a game and tomorrow morning when no one is using the internet.

20200816_213936.jpg

You have people trying to troubleshoot latency problems and others thinking you’re talking about graphical performance. Usually when people say lag they mean network problems.

If you’re referring to 4 seconds of packet loss, that’s almost certainly a network issue and you need to diagnose it as such.

The first step would be to open up command line and run something like “ping -t Google.com” without quotes and just let it run. When the game lags out, tab out ASAP and see if the pings to Google in the command line also timed out. If they did, that would point to you having local network issues. If they didn’t, it would point to it being an external network issue.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

9 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

You have people trying to troubleshoot latency problems and others thinking you’re talking about graphical performance. Usually when people say lag they mean network problems.

If you’re referring to 4 seconds of packet loss, that’s almost certainly a network issue and you need to diagnose it as such.

The first step would be to open up command line and run something like “ping -t Google.com” without quotes and just let it run. When the game lags out,

Sorry trying to explain it correctly, not the best at explaining things based on topic. But this is a network issue. Apologies if it was worded as a gpu issue.

I will try that when I get home tonight. 

20 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

If they did, that would point to you having local network issues. If they didn’t, it would point to it being an external network issue.

Tested out 2 games that had the biggest lag spikes. Brawhalla and Risk of Rain 2

Brawlhalla Had a few lag spikes with only 1 of the 7 times google timed out as well.
Risk of Rain over like 5 minutes had a Few lag spikes and just stutters,None being in sync with Google pings.

Seems this is external then unless that wasn't a good test.
I'm going to assume this is a ISP problem now :c.