Google Play Music being retired - transitioning to YouTube Music

Dellenn

Google Play Music being retired - YouTube Music replacing the service by end of 2020. 

Quotes

YouTube Music is replacing Google Play Music as your new destination for music listening and discovery. Between October and the end of this year, access to Google Play Music will be removed permanently. We know that you’ve spent time building your Google Play Music library, so we’ve made it easy to transfer your music library to YouTube Music with just one click, including playlists, uploads, and recommendations.

Need my library to transfer fully to see what the experience is like on mobile - not sure if it's comparable or not yet. The transfer process is simple - click a button and then wait for it to complete (you do NOT need to sit and wait, will be done in the server background).

Purchases will no longer be allowed in 30 days, all pre-orders canceled & store is shutting down.

Image is an email I received today.

Google Play Music.jpg

2 minutes ago, Saksham said:

YT Music sucks ass. GPM was much better. i'm switching to Spotify. 

My issue is my current music library - what the hell do I do with it? I mean, I can use iTunes Match to get it into their cloud - but I specifically kept my stuff in Google Music so I could go back and forth to iOS or Android as needed.

Can you upload your entire library to Spotify without issue?

It’s a good thing I have student discounts for both YT premium and Spotify. YouTube Music’s UI is ugly compared to Spotify imo

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, Dellenn said:

You can import your songs into the desktop app, and then sync it to your devices, but obviously that's not exactly the same. At the very least, it allows you to stay within one app.

3 hours ago, Dellenn said:

My issue is my current music library - what the hell do I do with it? I mean, I can use iTunes Match to get it into their cloud - but I specifically kept my stuff in Google Music so I could go back and forth to iOS or Android as needed.

I'm not sure what you mean. You just stated that it's transferring to YT Music, and you can upload music to YT Music as well, and then have access whether you're on iOS or Android.

2 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

It’s a good thing I have student discounts for both YT premium and Spotify. YouTube Music’s UI is ugly compared to Spotify imo

really? i actually like the YT music UI it seems pretty standard for a music app

Screenshot_2020-08-15-21-01-35.png?width=318&height=565

I enjoy the new youtube music ai and layout. It has way better sound quality then spotify, the more songs i listen to, it gives me a better idea of what i wanna listen to on random. It's quite unique if you ask me. Plus if you were already a google play music subscriber, you already get youtube premium and yt music for cheap.

The geek himself.

3 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

really? i actually like the YT music UI it seems pretty standard for a music app

Screenshot_2020-08-15-21-01-35.png?width=318&height=565

the problem is that it clutters your recommendation page by all sorts of bullshit songs i don't want to see.  

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Feels like I’m the odd one out. I always denied the message when it said to try out google play music in the past whenever I was playing YT Music. I never tried out Spotify though, so there’s that. Don’t plan to either. About to get a student discount with YT premium since I use both YouTube and YT music religiously.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

inb4 someone says "I just use the five finger discount" 🤣

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

What I'm wondering is why do we have to import our Google Music library manually be pressing that button ourselves.

That's music we've bought. That we paid for on Google's services. But if we don't import it into YT Music, what happens?

Do we lose it once Google Music goes away? Why is this not an automated process?

It's the same God damn Google Account. The fact they even give the option to manually transfer it all by the press of a button shows that this is possible to do.

Transferring the music we paid for should be the default without any input on our parts while giving the option to manually import playlists and what not. It's not hard Google.

Also, no download button in YT Music. With Google Music, I was able to download locally the music that I have bought. Not seeing that option anywhere in YT Music. (Except maybe through Google Takeout... Which is not the option I'd be looking for if I wanted to download a single song)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

14 hours ago, Dellenn said:

you can back up your stuff and such.  Apple Music is also on Android.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

I am not a fan of live services,i prefer my games and music offline.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Streaming music LULW

On the other hand on phone YT app it self doesn't allow you to lock screen t play a song ahahaha, yes I know there's way around it. But what a joke. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

20 hours ago, Saksham said:

You cannot upload music to Spotify. it really sucks that you can't do that, but YT Music is so bad, that i'm willing to sacrifice. 

I recall a time when I used to be able to do that. I wonder why they killed the feature. 

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

The most annoying part about this is that you LOSE features and can only gain them by paying for them. Features that nearly every other audio streaming service has. Such as playback while the display is off!

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

I've been a GPM user ever since it was first released and 2hen I've tried YouTube music I've never really liked it. 

What service should someone like me use now? I want to be able to upload my own music, no ads and I want to be able to do it for free (like on Google play music). Am I just screwed? YouTube music, as far as I know, can't even play music while the screen is off without a subscription, and I don't want any videos (just a waste of bandwidth). 

Does Apple music offer what I want? Spotify doesn't. 

I use Youtube music regularly, its probably not the highest bitrate, but its quite simple to use, my only complaint is having all the video still there and some other video related bugs, but its seemingly good enough for all my needs

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

I think one of the biggest issues is for people who have Google Family Link. If their parents set their rating limit to E 10+ (or the similar rating in your region), then they can't get YouTube Music. I'm one of these people. I have a Samsung phone, though, so I could get like, Samsung Music through the Galaxy Store, but I don't want to have to download another app, so I’m just going to use My Files as my "default music player". I'm just sick and tired of downloading apps that I don't want on my phone, like Microsoft Teams, which I pretty much had to download for school. Granted, I kind of hate Play Music anyway, but it still functioned moderately okay on my phone for what it was! 

Oh look another product Google can roll out that's probably no better than what it replaces, and will also get no feature development until it gets retired for the next exact same thing with a different skin

(For realz I don't think Gogle Play Music got a single feature update in the 5 years I've been using it)

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

On 8/15/2020 at 5:44 PM, Dellenn said:

Purchases will no longer be allowed in 30 days, all pre-orders canceled & store is shutting down.

"Purchases". You forgot the quotation marks :P 

On 8/16/2020 at 7:46 AM, TetraSky said:

What I'm wondering is why do we have to import our Google Music library manually be pressing that button ourselves.

That's music we've bought. That we paid for on Google's services. But if we don't import it into YT Music, what happens?

Welcome to the wonders of "life as a service"!

Personally, I'll continue to back up to hard drives and move the SD card around, or transferring to a new one when it dies (been using it since 2011, I guess the day is not far). Luckily, my phones are always "low end" enough to support SD cards :D The day they don't is the day I'll go back to dedicated MP3 players.