Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WiFi 6 Router

I need a new router...

All of the buzz these days is to get a Wifi 6 router but some people are saying to wait it out.

I need something new and I do want to future proof it. 

Help me out please. 

I would say if you can wait then wait for WiFi 6E to come out and gain traction (probably 2-4 years at least). Otherwise just get quality WiFi 5 (AC) router now and not worry about it until like 75%+ of your devices support WiFi 6 (or 6E)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

The thing is that I would be buying devices that does have WiFi 6 enabled so no point in getting a WiFi 5 router. 

Suggestions for WiFi 6 routers please. 

10 minutes ago, EchoBlue said:

The thing is that I would be buying devices that does have WiFi 6 enabled so no point in getting a WiFi 5 router. 

Suggestions for WiFi 6 routers please. 

budget?

How much bandwidth do you need? ISP speed?

How big is the area that you want wifi?

For budget if you can give me top 3 WiFi 6 router to buy.

I'll need something that can do 1000mb minimum. 

The area is about the size of a normal home. Although I do want up stair and down stair to reach it too. 

2 hours ago, EchoBlue said:

The area is about the size of a normal home. Although I do want up stair and down stair to reach it too. 

your not doing 1000mb on wifi in real world uses, 300-500mbit is much more realstic.

When you say 1000mb minnimun, do you want >1gbit ports on it, thats gonna be much more expensive normally.

What is a normal home? You might want multiple accesspoints. Do you have ethernet in your home already or do you need a wireless mesh?

Ok 500mb 

I think I can cut it down to 500mb. 1000 might be a too much.

I don't think I will need a mesh system in the house but it wouldn't hurt to have as an option in case I might have a dead spot. 

That's an impossible expectation even with the current state of WiFi 6 in all areas of a 2-level home. You might get that speed within a few metres proximity of the wireless router, but that speed drops off quickly with intervening walls and floors.

Wireless signals do not travel well in a vertical direction, so it is recommended that wireless access points be placed on each level that you need reliable WiFi. A rough sketch of your home's floor plan will be useful in planning AP placement.

Still state a budget. If you just want a single wireless router, you're going to have to settle for limited range. A multi-AP setup will give you more reliable speeds and connectivity, but will cost more.

I've tested full Ubiquiti gear setups and am now experimenting with their airCube-AC. Seem to work very well for the size of the unit; using several of these all wired into a switch would work well for small homes or apartments. I swapped it out for a Synology RT2600AC and have found it to be just as good, albeit with more features and settings. I still have to see how well the Ubiquiti Alien works; it's supposed to be one of the better all-in-one WiFi 6 routers currently out there (for a steep price of course) with a very rare feature - 8x8 MU-MIMO, which should come in handy if you need multiple reliable concurrent WiFi client connections on wireless-AX.

Are we talking more than $500 for what I need?? 

There are some routers with mesh system and some with no mesh? 

I am wondering if no mesh system means it has a much better wifi connection?

Why is this so hard to choose...

1 hour ago, EchoBlue said:

Are we talking more than $500 for what I need?? 

There are some routers with mesh system and some with no mesh? 

I am wondering if no mesh system means it has a much better wifi connection?

Why is this so hard to choose...

mesh helps with larger houses, since you don't say the size, I have no idea if it will help

Estimated at around 2000 - 3000 sq ft

Please note up stair and the basement