Aftermath of the Verge PC build - 2 years of bullying

Vishera

2 years have past,and yet some people from the PC enthusiast community bully and harass Stefan Etienne to this day,

All day every day Etienne exeprience cyber-bullying,His twitter account is full of bullies.and his twitch too.

Everyone makes mistakes,but nobody deserve harassment and bullying for a bad PC build guide...

This issue must be brought to the forefront and condemned by influencers and the community.

I think that @LinusTech should do a video condemning that behavior,Bullying is not ok.

Please @leadeater, @wkdpaul pass it to the higher ups at LMG.

From today:

From yesterday:

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Just now, lewdicrous said:

This one was the best imo.

EfcIpwpU0AA765i?format=jpg&name=large

-10 points for not having a shovel, though.

The guy gets such replies,comments and messages all day everyday...

It's not funny anymore.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

TBH if you are cyber-bullying someone about something minor they did 2 years ago, you are the sad one. I don’t know how a part of your daily routine is ‘Oh yeah, better go leave a comment that has been said x1000 times before on this guys Twitter’. 

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

The guy gets such replies,comments and messages all day everyday...

Like you said in the OP, they made a mistake, but what made it worse is how they reacted after it; the strikes/claims against certain YouTubers, etc.

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

It's not funny anymore.

I'll give you that, the memes became stale.

Created an account to reply to this thread.

I agree ppl should chill but there is a very good reason why he keeps getting memed on, he refuses to apologize for the build and even double down multiple times saying things like "Those elitist youtubers are haters, the pc works who cares", even to this day he is arrogant about the build and believes he did no wrong.

6 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Twas my favorite on the list presented as well

the memes became stale.

But that cement truck aint stale!  That was pretty good lol

I honestly cant understand "cyber" bullying.  I cannot be bullied over the internet.  Its just...not possible.  They can type some things, and I can choose to allow an emotional reaction - but thats the extent of it.  

What I see, and Ive heard about this story since its inception, is that the guy made a brutal mistake on the internet - and we all know the internet doesnt forget - and has to live with it.  I guess thats because I know that the difference between famous, and infamous is ONLY two letters from the alphabet.  Your name is still in peoples mouth (fingertips).

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 minute ago, warmongerp said:

I agree ppl should chill but there is a very good reason why he keeps getting memed on, he refuses to apologize for the build and even double down multiple times saying things like "Those elitist youtubers are haters, the pc works who cares", even to this day he is arrogant about the build and believes he did no wrong.

I agree that the PC Build and the way they responded was incredibly bad and un-business like, but if we held everyone up on any tiny thing they did we would have no advances in this world. 

2 minutes ago, warmongerp said:

believes he did no wrong.

Pretty sure he has openly admitted that he did wrong. 

Just now, warmongerp said:

Just leave him be,2 years have past and it doesn't need to last that long,it got out of proportion.

5 minutes ago, warmongerp said:

See that's the thing. Everyone makes mistakes, but the build was bad by any objective measure. To insist that it's not, or that you actually knew what you were doing, despite that being obviously not the case, is to invite ridicule.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 minute ago, gloop said:

I agree that the PC Build and the way they responded was incredibly bad and un-business like, but if we held everyone up on any tiny thing they did we would have no advances in this world. 

Pretty sure he has openly admitted that he did wrong. 

Nah hes pretty arrogant about it, there are multiple instances of him being condescending, he doesnt believe he did wrong.

if he released a video or even a tweet with an apologize and saying that he would do better next time or something along those lines ppl would not meme on him anymore, if you have anything of the sort pls link me.

to be honest this doesn't seem like a big issue.

the man made a bad guide, then refused to admit to making mistakes. and till this day refuses to admit aswell!

ofcourse people are gonna send him some memes about his stupid behaviour.

if you let 'influencers' talk about this you are only gonna get more attention, and in turn more people calling him out.

Just now, warmongerp said:

ppl would not meme on him anymore,

See, this is the issue. 

People wouldn’t. 

You will still have the 12yr olds thinking it’s funny and cool to send a meme that’s been done 1000x times to this guy, even if he apologized for it. 

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

See that's the thing. Everyone makes mistakes, but the build was bad by any objective measure. To insist that it's not, or that you actually knew what you were doing, despite that being obviously not the case, is to invite ridicule.

That's not the point, @warmongerp @RollinLower why harass the guy for so long?,people should just leave him be.

Doesn't matter if he is right or wrong,it's going on for years.

Just now, gloop said:

See, this is the issue. 

People wouldn’t. 

You will still have the 12yr olds thinking it’s funny and cool to send a meme that’s been done 1000x times to this guy, even if he apologized for it. 

We won't know for sure until he acknowledge the huge fuck up that build video was.

People can often surprise you when you show humility

The overarching lesson here though is to own it, one way or the other. The Internet never forgets, so if you don't want to be ridiculed for your mistakes, either make darn sure you know what you're doing before putting your name, and (seriously?) Twitter handle on it, or just learn to let it go. I mean I haven't actually seen Linus drop anything recently, but even if he never dropped anything again, he'd forever be known as the guy that drops expensive computer components. But, Linus also owns it and laughs along, and it's endearing because of that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, Vishera said:

That's not the point, @warmongerp @RollinLower why harass the guy for so long?,people should just leave him be.

if you call out the bullies now you are only going to get more backlash from the new media attention.

the best you can do is leave it be, and it'll die in due time.

1 minute ago, gloop said:

This is the case with a lot of public figures, at least the ones on YouTube.

24 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

This one is better.

Feelsbad for that guy though, 100% of his twitter replies are about thermal paste. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

7 minutes ago, Vishera said:

You are on the internet, you either acknowledge your mistakes and fuck ups or others will acknowledge them for you, this is specifically true if you are a personality on Youtube/twitch

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I'm not saying it's necessarily right or wrong, but it's the Streisand Effect. By trying to insist that you did nothing wrong, when anyone with two eyeballs and some grey matter behind knows you screwed up, means that people will definitely continue to ridicule you. Own it. Yeah, that sure what bad, but I've learned from my mistakes. It's no fun making fun of a contrite person. Not that it should be "fun", but simply the bullies give up because there's no sport in it. The fact that it's still going on after two years is directly because this guy still insists it was a perfectly fine build after two years.

I would've had more sympathy for them if they owned up to it, released a corrected video (I believe Steve-GN also offered to help them), and didn't go after YouTubers, but I think it's 2 years too late.

Just now, BlueScope819 said:

@Vishera You know that LMG, the mods on this forum, etc, have no control over other people? You are asking for the impossible.

They have influence,not control,it could help if influencers condemn this behavior,and some of those bullies are viewers of Linus Tech Tips...

I would've had more sympathy for them if they owned up to it, released a corrected video (I believe Steve-GN also offered to help them), and didn't go after YouTubers, but I think it's 2 years too late.

Doesn't matter,what's going on right now is bullying and must be stopped.

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

They have influence,not control,it could help if influencers condemn this behavior,and some of those bullies are viewers of Linus Tech Tips...

I think you need to know about the Streisand effect. I feel like that's why it became as big a news as it did.