Help me find my bottleneck?

Burnedice25

Hello! 
I am looking to upgrade my rig as its lagging behind now i have gotten a new monitor (a 1440p, 144hz) I have already upgraded my GPU from a GTX 1050Ti so im not looking to change me GPU again.

current specs:
i7 3770
GTX 1070Ti

8 GB DDR3 1600
1 x SSD
2x HDD

I play a lot of CPU intensive games (KSP, DCS, etc...) and also do a lot of content creation. 

so, heres the questions i need a bit of help with...
(1): is my GPU or CPU the main bottleneck?
(2): Is my GPU enough for 1440p at 144hz?
(3): What CPU upgrade is best for me? (NOTE: if i have to buy a new CPU, that means i need to buy a CPU, new MOBO, and possibly new RAM) (Also, Ryzen is not a option, im a intel fanboy lol)
(4): I want to get a second SSD for some important games, is NVMe to PCIe Mini good or will i be slow? My MOBO doesnt have NVMe but has PCIe mini. Or am i better off just getting a second SATA, im looking for capacity rather than speed.

thanks for the help :)

(P.S forgot to add, im looking for a 6 core, 12 thread CPU. I like multitasking :P)

1. Your bottleneck is likely your cpu. To be 100% sure, check task manager when gaming to see what percent utilization your cpu and gpu are at.
2. if you lower the settings a bit, yes (in most games). What games do you play?

3. Depends on your budget for the upgrade. What is the budget (will be for cpu, motherboard, ram, and your new ssd)?

4. I can give an answer with budget from above.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

CPU. Buy a B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16gb D4, and a Ryzen 5 3600. Set you back about $300 total.

Also I found your bottleneck it's right here

Empty_Wine_bottle.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Again, im not interested in Ryzen. What would you suggest in Intel's offerings?

1 minute ago, Burnedice25 said:

Again, im not interested in Ryzen. What would you suggest in Intel's offerings?

the amd squad aint gonna leave you alone if you dont give em a good reason lol

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

5 hours ago, NZgamer said:

I'd say mainly the CPU is the bottleneck

Nope.

There's nowhere to go. Also, that is an absolutely ridiculous reason to dismiss AMD. Intel is losing now for a reason.

SATA will be better for this then I suppose.

My GPU is doing fine for the games i play, again mostly CPU intensive games,

In terms of Intel, whats the best option for a good 6 core that will last me for a while?

5 hours ago, VeganJoy said:

the amd squad aint gonna leave you alone if you dont give em a good reason lol

Blue's my favorite color.

But nah, IMO the single core / thread performance is wayyyyyy more important for me.

5 hours ago, zeusthemoose said:

1. Your bottleneck is likely your cpu. To be 100% sure, check task manager when gaming to see what percent utilization your cpu and gpu are at.
2. if you lower the settings a bit, yes (in most games). What games do you play?

3. Depends on your budget for the upgrade. What is the budget (will be for cpu, motherboard, ram, and your new ssd)?

4. I can give an answer with budget from above.

I have a budget for maybe 600 AUD to upgrade what i want. Again, i play mostly CPU intensive games. KSP, DCS, etc..

3 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

Blue's my favorite color.

But nah, IMO the single core / thread performance is wayyyyyy more important for me.

if cost is not an objection then the 10600k is a solid choice for pure speed and gaming performance. the z490 boards are expensive and its just a slightly better 8700k but it is benchmark-wise the best for gaming (aside from the 10900k which is twice the cost)

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Just now, NZgamer said:

AMD's single core performance is close to Intel for a better price. Blue is one of my favourite colours too but I don't run out and buy everything that has blue in their logo.

1 minute ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

Intel isnt even that far a head in single core anymore ^^ 

The blue color thing was a joke.

But in the things that i do, any improvement in single core performance is one i need, even if its marginal. And i honestly dont think i have the budget for a new CPU / MOBO / RAM. Im looking a second hand stuff most probably. maybe something in the 7### series from Intel, but still have the modern socket to upgrade

2 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

I have a budget for maybe 600 AUD to upgrade what i want. Again, i play mostly CPU intensive games. KSP, DCS, etc..

Then you definitely want AMD...

Looking at pcpp, all intel CPUs I would consider are around 400+ including 8th and 9th gen. That wouldn’t leave you with enough room for a good motherboard and ram (let alone another ssd).
But for 600 on amd, you could get a 3600, b450 tomahawk max, and 16gb cl16 3200 ddr4 ram.

And intel is not too far ahead of amd in single threaded performance while amd is much better multi threaded performance. All for a cheaper price. 

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Just now, VeganJoy said:

if cost is not an objection then the 10600k is a solid choice for pure speed and gaming performance. the z490 boards are expensive and its just a slightly better 8700k but it is benchmark-wise the best for gaming (aside from the 10900k which is twice the cost)

Cost is a thing, im maybe looking at 600 AUD. So looking at something like Skylake

1 minute ago, zeusthemoose said:

Then you definitely want AMD...

Looking at pcpp, all intel CPUs I would consider are around 400+ including 8th and 9th gen. That wouldn’t leave you with enough room for a good motherboard and ram (let alone another ssd).
But for 600 on amd, you could get a 3600, b450 tomahawk max, and 16gb cl16 3200 ddr4 ram.

And intel is not too far ahead of amd in single threaded performance while amd is much better multi threaded performance. All for a cheaper price. 

again, for my budget im looking at probably used CPUs, stuff like Skylake

Just now, Burnedice25 said:

again, for my budget im looking at probably used CPUs, stuff like Skylake

Then we won’t be able to recommend anything specific as it completely depends on the deals you can find. And I don’t know anything about used market in Australia so I can’t even give a general recommendation.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Just now, zeusthemoose said:

Then we won’t be able to recommend anything specific as it completely depends on the deals you can find. And I don’t know anything about used market in Australia so I can’t even give a general recommendation.

if i were to sell my CPU / RAM / MOBO, how much would i get for it? $150?

Just now, Burnedice25 said:

if i were to sell my CPU / RAM / MOBO, how much would i get for it? $150?

Depends on what your used market looks like. Go on eBay or other reselling platforms used in your area and see what similarly specced systems are going for or did sell for (sort by sold on eBay) and base your pricing on that.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

7th gen is from 2017. The socket is dead, I wouldn't consider it modern. Plus the chipset is restricted. You said you wanted a 6 core, you can't get 6 cores on 7th gen.

LGA 1151 gives me everything up to Coffee Lake. Im not looking for the best here, im on a budget

7th gen is from 2017. The socket is dead, I wouldn't consider it modern. Plus the chipset is restricted. You said you wanted a 6 core, you can't get 6 cores on 7th gen.

Also, im on socket 1155, I have the best CPU for my socket, literally any newer socket is good for me. Plus, 1151 sockets will be filling the used market

48 minutes ago, Burnedice25 said:

But in the things that i do, any improvement in single core performance is one i need, even if its marginal.

What kind of bizarre logic is this? You currently run a 3770 which is miles behind the Ryzen 3600 that everyone has been recommended. You haven't gone and run out to upgrade to find the extra marginal performance you claim you need in the 8 years since the release of the 3770. Yet, all of a sudden, the marginally better single core performance of a 10600k is the all important factor.

If you are considering Skylake era hardware, this entire thread is even more senseless. Say goodbye to any single core advantage that you might have had over Ryzen 3000, because Skylake doesn't have any.

Edit: you also seem to believe that a 100 or 200 series board gives you an upgrade path to Coffee Lake. It does not.

*** Thread cleaned ***

This should be obvious, but the point still is to help OP to get what they want. Not to push your own agenda on them if they have set their mind on something.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, NZgamer said:
8 hours ago, Burnedice25 said:

3): What CPU upgrade is best for me? (NOTE: if i have to buy a new CPU, that means i need to buy a CPU, new MOBO, and possibly new RAM) (Also, Ryzen is not a option, im a intel fanboy lol)

There's nowhere to go (that's a reasonable upgrade). Also, that is an absolutely ridiculous reason to dismiss AMD. Intel is losing now for a reason

So, you want to pay more, and get worse preformance,  Being a Intel fanboy is NOT a reason. Intel is being realy..... not cool right now. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Burnedice25 said:

(1): is my GPU or CPU the main bottleneck?
(2): Is my GPU enough for 1440p at 144hz?
(3): What CPU upgrade is best for me? (NOTE: if i have to buy a new CPU, that means i need to buy a CPU, new MOBO, and possibly new RAM) (Also, Ryzen is not a option, im a intel fanboy lol)
(4): I want to get a second SSD for some important games, is NVMe to PCIe Mini good or will i be slow? My MOBO doesnt have NVMe but has PCIe mini. Or am i better off just getting a second SATA, im looking for capacity rather than speed.

1. Your CPU is definitely the bottleneck here.

2. Depends on the game and with which settings. I have an rtx 2060 which is similar to the 1070 ti and can play a lot of games at 1440p 144hz. So you should be good.

3. Being an intel fanboy is not a good reason! Ryzen will give you so much more for the money. If you can get this stuff below or wait for new AMD CPU's so come out that would be good.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $174.99 @ Walmart
Motherboard MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $99.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $57.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $332.97
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-15 10:24 EDT-0400  

4. The motherboard I listed has an m.2 slot. The Western Digital Blue SN550 would be a great option. 500GB one is $60 and 1TB option is $105.