YouTube Removes Upload Email Notifications after over a decade

aselwyn1

So YouTube has deiced to remove all upload email notifications. meaning the bell now only controls mobile and desktop ones if you have them turned on a feature that was in YouTube for over a decade and was a much stablier way to make sure you watched all your videos instead of the "sub box" 

My thoughts

This is probably the dumbest move i have seen them make in a long time. its another sign that Google hates Youtube and doesn't care about users/creators if people want a email notification like me that i have been using them for a decade should be able to pick but YouTube has removed it. i may not watch a video for a day or 2 or maybe a few weeks but it just sits in my email list till i get to it. you can get around it by creating individual emails from IFTTT on a per channel basis but are much slower. really thankful for Floatplane's Email Notifications

Sources

https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/63269933?hl=en

Aselwyn1

Following another company's ideology, Less is more. Yet, we'll charge the same price and the consumer will have to buy our accessories to outfit a device that's perfectly capable of having it internally. 

By all means, its pretty stupid that they are going this route by removing things and especially for those that watch YouTube and want email notifications. If my older father knew about it, he would definitely go with this. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

14 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Following another company's ideology, Less is more. Yet, we'll charge the same price and the consumer will have to buy our accessories to outfit a device that's perfectly capable of having it internally. 

By all means, its pretty stupid that they are going this route by removing things and especially for those that watch YouTube and want email notifications. If my older father knew about it, he would definitely go with this. 

Yep i really also see this hurting smaller creators that don't get pushed by the algorithm  

Aselwyn1

Tbh, move makes sense to me, setting mobile/desktop as default. Only thing I would disagree is completely removing an option to have email notifications for people that still want it. I lean towards the younger audience and have clicked or opened email notifications grand total of 0 times, it's just spam to me... I assume, based on my behaviour, that a significant portion of view time is now towards mobile devices, why would I open one app(email about video upload) just to be redirected to the other one or go in and manually search for video based on that email? Also, generating these notifications is easier on bandwidth, speed and number of jobs required for processing them compared to emails...

I have never had videos not show up in my subscription box unless the uploader spesifically press the button for it not to be there. So I don't have notifications on, don't need it.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Not to play the devil's advocate, but I have email notifications disabled for channel uploads. I only get bell notifications within YouTube itself. It's a lot cleaner when I have dozens of emails to go through on the daily.

1 hour ago, sinkesnnj said:

I lean towards the younger audience and have clicked or opened email notifications grand total of 0 times, it's just spam to me... I assume, based on my behaviour, that a significant portion of view time is now towards mobile devices, why would I open one app(email about video upload) just to be redirected to the other one or go in and manually search for video based on that email?

We're both zoomers.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

they've been modifying & restricting youtubes system a lot lately.  not sure if they're slowly trying to pushing it to end the service in about a decade due to service load & volume it endures.

Details separate people.

They're always doing random crap, I've used that before and stopped so sub section only it is. Notifications are almost always useless, they're late, so the whole point of them is gone. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I was confused this morning looking for the Wan show in my e-mail, it literally made me question what day it was. Guess this would explain why the Social tab in my Gmail inbox is so empty.

There's many channels that I sub to that don't upload regularly, and I don't want to have to go to youtube to check for them, just in case they've uploaded.

I don't even use the youtube home page, I click on LTT videos from my inbox.

The dum dums and idiots really did rise through the sludge to be top turd at Youtube it seems. The new Youtube Studio only seems to let me download my video files in 720p30 despite being 4k60 uploads, the live control panel's a mess, now they wont even send an e-mail notification.

Hopefully people that still want them can re-enable them at some point.

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

They're always doing random crap, I've used that before and stopped so sub section only it is. Notifications are almost always useless, they're late, so the whole point of them is gone. 

Lots of people use them to make sure they never miss a video. there have been many times over the years the subbox was broken or it just never showed up on the homepage. i have always relied on the emails never going into my sub box or the YouTube home page in a very long time. thankfully i have found a workaround with IFTTT but its much slower, doesn't find live streams and isn't as good of a email but it works. really it should be a option of if i want a email/desktop or phone notification. 

Aselwyn1

1 minute ago, aselwyn1 said:

Lots of people use them to make sure they never miss a video. there have been many times over the years the subbox was broken or it just never showed up on the homepage. i have always relied on the emails never going into my sub box or the YouTube home page in a very long time. thankfully i have found a workaround with IFTTT but its much slower, doesn't find live streams and isn't as good of a email but it works. really it should be a option of if i want a email/desktop or phone notification. 

I did too, but got annoyed by spam in email. Don't need same notification in multiple places, reason I disabled it. A freaking email got sooner than notifications. I never used homepage, practically for me it doesn't exist. Now I don't rely on email, because I don't want too, I just go to subscription page for the most part. It works fine for me now for quite some time so I'm good. Notifications are still scuffed, like I've been watching some videos and after I was done I got notification about them. So broken.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

YT Management is where Google dumps the employees they can't fire for Network/Political reasons. Time & again they show they have world-class tech and basement-class leadership.

Guess I'm going to stop watching YouTube entirely. Literally the only reason i ever went to it was through an email notification link. I have never used the front page, or recommended pages or anything like that.

Sucks for those creators, guess YouTube doesn't consider my views to be worth it.

Secondary note, if it wasnt for this forum and this post, i wouldve never heard of this or known at all. Did they not see fit to notify their users in any way whatsoever?

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Alternate title :

Another Sign that Google hates Youtube and doesn't care about users/creators.

I don't know if it's me being old now, but those types of notifications are just spam to me. Unless it's a site I rarely visit, or there's a specific promotion/offer or something, the amount of times I access a website from an email notification is virtually zero.

Given I utilize Youtube almost daily, a notification would be wasted on me, because I'm always going to cycle through my subs anyways to check new videos. Having an email is essentially pointless.

16 minutes ago, petercoffin80 said:

Is it for all youtubers?

yep 

Aselwyn1

23 hours ago, aselwyn1 said:

So YouTube has deiced to remove all upload email notifications. meaning the bell now only controls mobile and desktop ones if you have them turned on a feature that was in YouTube for over a decade and was a much stablier way to make sure you watched all your videos instead of the "sub box" 

My thoughts

This is probably the dumbest move i have seen them make in a long time. its another sign that Google hates Youtube and doesn't care about users/creators if people want a email notification like me that i have been using them for a decade should be able to pick but YouTube has removed it. i may not watch a video for a day or 2 or maybe a few weeks but it just sits in my email list till i get to it. you can get around it by creating individual emails from IFTTT on a per channel basis but are much slower. really thankful for Floatplane's Email Notifications

Sources

https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/63269933?hl=en

I used to be like you, and then I said fuck it, disabled the email notification and just started to browse my own subscription, because just like the app notifications, not all emails were arriving :/

Mind you, Google's still in the wrong here to not deliver every one...

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

I never cared about email notifacations which I also hate.

I once subscribed to Apple Explained, which was a mistake, because he posts like daily or whatever, and I get an email every single time.

Other people may miss this, but I don't

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Migrating comment from another thread for this topic:

I never activate email notifications on my social media and forum accounts. Often times it will just result in my email being spammed after a week. And yes, it gets so bad that I can't even stand the volume of emails sent to the secondary address I use for these accounts. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 8/15/2020 at 7:49 AM, sowon said:

Not to play the devil's advocate, but I have email notifications disabled for channel uploads. I only get bell notifications within YouTube itself. It's a lot cleaner when I have dozens of emails to go through on the daily.

We're both zoomers.

i was thinking am i the only who hates youtube emails? lol im not going to be like oh boy i wonder what my favorite youtubers uploaded let me check my emails. im going to go to youtube to check that

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i was thinking am i the only who hates youtube emails? lol im not going to be like oh boy i wonder what my favorite youtubers uploaded let me check my emails. im going to go to youtube to check that

More like I hate social media emails in general for that exact reason. I'll watch if I have time and feel like doing so. I don't need a mechanism to be constantly reminding me to watch someone's new upload. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

More like I hate social media emails in general for that exact reason. I'll watch if I have time and feel like doing so. I don't need a mechanism to be constantly reminding me to watch someone's new upload. 

facebook gaming is the worst. I had a streamer i watch a lot get a deal to stream exclusively on facebook gaming so i decided to actually follow them since i enjoy their content. it not only sends an notification when they go live it seem to send a notification every 30 minutes that they are still streaming its so annoying. i follow over 100 people on twitch and if i follow that many people on facebook gaming my phone is going to be constantly vibrating LUL

You people can turn off emails when subscribing. 
Or review subscribed stuff and turn them off. 
I often turned off notifications for channels i dont open anymore, 
but ! I lost the option to have those. it was my morning and evening ritual.

Pewdiepie, Linus Tech Tips, Tech News, Shroud, Valorant, Disrespects videos... there is plenty I watched on a day to day basis. 
I lterally lost a week of youtube, because it hasnt popped in my mailbox.

Just to be clear.  You want emails from *youtube*?

Oof

7 hours ago, Majoe said:

Pewdiepie, Linus Tech Tips, Tech News, Shroud, Valorant, Disrespects videos... there is plenty I watched on a day to day basis. 
I lterally lost a week of youtube, because it hasnt popped in my mailbox.

Yeah,  but here's a hint: all of these will upload a video to yt at least once a week , if not daily,  so you could just,  I dunno,  open the app and check? 

Also my yt recommendation are full of LTT videos - even though I barely watch them,  I watch 99% Monster Hunter videos (ok,  that may be an issue of yts messed up recommendation algorithm, but what I'm saying,  it's really, really hard to impossible to miss new videos of people you follow or just occasionally watch  IF you open YouTube like once a day / week)  

Those email's... are just spam,  you don't need them,  make a new "ritual" of checking yt once a day (takes 3 seconds)

Edit: umm, I just checked yt to make a screenshot to show how easy it is to find that stuff - but yet again they changed everything... It's completely random videos of gamernexus, old animes I never heard of and other random bs.. 

So my recommendation was a good one,  but it may not currently work anymore - it seems to me yt is nearly unusable now,  which I personally have no problem with whatsoever,  but I apologize as I couldn't know how messed up yt now looks (it was "normal" like 2 days ago lol...)  rip 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity