Few Questions About the Redragon K552-2 Kumara

Boomwebsearch

Hi LinusTechTips Community,

I was looking through the mechanical keyboards available on Best Buy and found this Redragon K552-2 Kumara for $35 USD and was wondering if it's a good deal. I think that it's using Outemu blue mechanical key switches, although I don't know much more about it. Has anyone had any experience with this keyboard and is the backlight color static or can it be changed?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/redragon-k552-2-kumara-wired-gaming-mechanical-blue-switch-keyboard-with-back-lighting-black/6419321.p?skuId=6419321

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions,

@Boomwebsearch

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

ive had a rough past with redragon and its sister company dragon gaming gear. Both are basically for starters products. they look really good on the box but the products themselves are pretty cheap plastics and sometimes the mechanical switches are membrane with springs or latches that emitate sound or feel (thus the Feels like mechanical on the front of the box). Like the ornata keyboard from razer.
If you really look for a good keyboard id say going up the price to around 60+ usd. and buying from websites on the internet isnt such a bad idea. linus made a video on it in the past

Otherwise if you want to buy a keyboard for your little brother. its not a bad choice

7 minutes ago, Fennie said:

ive had a rough past with redragon and its sister company dragon gaming gear. Both are basically for starters products. they look really good on the box but the products themselves are pretty cheap plastics and sometimes the mechanical switches are membrane with springs or latches that emitate sound or feel (thus the Feels like mechanical on the front of the box). Like the ornata keyboard from razer.
If you really look for a good keyboard id say going up the price to around 60+ usd. and buying from websites on the internet isnt such a bad idea. linus made a video on it in the past

Spoiler

Otherwise if you want to buy a keyboard for your little brother. its not a bad choice

If you buy a memchanical keeb the switches will be as you describe. Pay more attention before buying and you will be okay. Other than that they are solid budget keebs, plastic is fine, not much flex at all.

@BoomwebsearchColor is static sadly, can't be changed, keep in mind outemu blue are loud as fuck. Would recommend this instead https://www.amazon.com/VELOCIFIRE-TKL02-Mechanical-Copywriters-Programmers/dp/B07DFBKYT5/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3CIFKG3BLWKMP&dchild=1&keywords=velocifire+mechanical+keyboard&qid=1597415433&sprefix=veloci%2Caps%2C366&sr=8-5

2 minutes ago, nox_ said:

If you buy a memchanical keeb the switches will be as you describe. Other than that they are solid budget keebs, plastic is fine, not much flex at all.

@BoomwebsearchColor is static sadly, can't be changed, keep in mind outemu blue are loud as fuck.

Are the Outemu blue switches louder than Cherry MX blue mechanical switches and by how much?

@Boomwebsearch 

5 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Are the Outemu blue switches louder than Cherry MX blue mechanical switches and by how much?

outemus are not louder, at least not by much, these reddragons keebs have some "twang" sound when typing, so might be louder due to their construction not due to switches. Would recommend getting this keeb instead : https://www.amazon.com/VELOCIFIRE-TKL02-Mechanical-Copywriters-Programmers/dp/B07DFBKYT5/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3CIFKG3BLWKMP&dchild=1&keywords=velocifire+mechanical+keyboard&qid=1597415433&sprefix=veloci%2Caps%2C366&sr=8-5let me know if it leads to amazon.com and not co.uk or something,been having issues with their links lately.

I had the tenkey version of that keyboard.

It is well built with almost no flex. And the Otemu Blues feel good for a budget keyboard.

But when typing the springs make a strachy sound and if you type too fast a metal reverberation starts to make noise.

Also after 8ish months the space bar started double spacing when you pushed down on it. If you take it out and put it back in it fixes it for like a day. And the space bar was especially strachy.

6 minutes ago, nox_ said:

outemus are not louder, at least not by much, these reddragons keebs have some "twang" sound when typing, so might be louder due to their construction not due to switches. Would recommend getting this keeb instead : https://www.amazon.com/VELOCIFIRE-TKL02-Mechanical-Copywriters-Programmers/dp/B07DFBKYT5/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3CIFKG3BLWKMP&dchild=1&keywords=velocifire+mechanical+keyboard&qid=1597415433&sprefix=veloci%2Caps%2C366&sr=8-5let me know if it leads to amazon.com and not co.uk or something,been having issues with their links lately.

The link brought to amazon.com which is right for me since I am in the United States, do you have any recommendations for a USB number-pad (non-mechanical is fine) or another mechanical keyboard (blue or brown mechanical switches are fine) under $50 USD with a number-pad?

@Boomwebsearch 

20 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

The link brought to amazon.com which is right for me since I am in the United States, do you have any recommendations for a USB number-pad (non-mechanical is fine) or another mechanical keyboard (blue or brown mechanical switches are fine) under $50 USD with a number-pad?

How about this one? https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Velocifire-VM02WS-Copywriters-Programmer/dp/B07MQD7WNB/ref=sr_1_2?crid=GJY0BF5O8H5N&dchild=1&keywords=velocifire%2Bfull%2Bsize&qid=1597416483&sprefix=velocifire%2Bfull%2Caps%2C295&sr=8-2&th=1No need to use it as wireless, there is type c cable, but that's a nice option, decent caps too. Sorry, it's over 50 usd, you can't go bit more for the budget?

There is this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KCRTN9Q/ref=twister_B07VJN69BB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 but the switches are linear.

Edited by nox_

14 minutes ago, nox_ said:

How about this one? https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Velocifire-VM02WS-Copywriters-Programmer/dp/B07MQD7WNB/ref=sr_1_2?crid=GJY0BF5O8H5N&dchild=1&keywords=velocifire%2Bfull%2Bsize&qid=1597416483&sprefix=velocifire%2Bfull%2Caps%2C295&sr=8-2&th=1No need to use it as wireless, there is type c cable, but that's a nice option, decent caps too. Sorry, it's over 50 usd, you can't go bit more for the budget?

There's a wired option, although is there any differences in comparison to the wireless? I can spend the extra $10 if needed, although I probably won't ever use the wireless since the cord will be able to reach fine and batteries are expensive to replace frequently.

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Velocifire-VM02WS-Copywriters-Programmer/dp/B01M0QEYR4/ref=sr_1_2?crid=GJY0BF5O8H5N&dchild=1&keywords=velocifire%2Bfull%2Bsize&qid=1597416483&sprefix=velocifire%2Bfull%2Caps%2C295&sr=8-2&th=1&tag=linus21-20

@Boomwebsearch 

3 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

There's a wired option, although is there any differences in comparison to the wireless? I can spend the extra $10 if needed, although I probably won't ever use the wireless since the cord will be able to reach fine and batteries are expensive to replace frequently.

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Velocifire-VM02WS-Copywriters-Programmer/dp/B01M0QEYR4/ref=sr_1_2?crid=GJY0BF5O8H5N&dchild=1&keywords=velocifire%2Bfull%2Bsize&qid=1597416483&sprefix=velocifire%2Bfull%2Caps%2C295&sr=8-2&th=1&tag=linus21-20

Wired one has worse build quality sadly, quite a bit of flex in the chassis, no metal mounting plate, all plastic construction.

Edited by nox_

The redragon k552 tkl can come in white or black.  Each color can come without led (I have white without led), with red led, with rainbow and rgb.  The case is plastic with metal plate.  The switches are plate mounted and some have swapable switches. The case is quite sturdy and really have close to zero flex, it must really be intentional.  Over all it's well built.  Keycaps are abs and mine are obviously white and non shine through since there's not led on my keyboard. 

When I bought mine there was no switches choice so I have the one with the outemu blue.  I think that now there's some switches choice between blue and red and that they have some square around the + of the stem (don't know if those have a specific name)  The board I have is swapable with other outemu switches but I haven't try to put any other switches in it.  I did use those outemu blue in my gmmk while waiting for my kailh speed copper to arrive.  As for the sound, those switches are really annoying to type on.  The spring make a metallic sound when you type and it's quite annoying, way more than the intended click of the switch.   In the end I just got something else and the k552 is a backup keyboard. 

You can take a look at the redragon k551 which is about the same as the k552 but in full size.  My sister have one in black with rgb and blue switches and she likes it a lot. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD