Standalone "TV guts" (device for frame interpolation, etc.)?

vanished

PC monitors are very simple displays, they just show what you feed in with basically no processing and as little delay as possible.  TVs are different.  They have much more of a "brain" and do all sorts of colour adjustment and other processing, including (for better or worse) frame interpolation.  Sometimes on a TV you want to turn this stuff off, and although the input lag never seems to go down to quite as low as it would without having that stuff, at least it helps and you do have the option.  The reverse isn't true though.  If you want that processing on a regular desktop display, oh well.

To that end, does anyone know of a device that is basically just the "guts" of a TV that will add this processing to any display?  Specifically, frame interpolation is the main feature I'm looking for, everything else would just be a bonus.  I know there are upscalers out there for increasing resolution but that isn't what I'm looking for.  I would imagine such a device would simply have an HDMI in, HDMI out, and power supply.  Maybe even USB or an IR receiver or just buttons or some other kind of input device for configuration, but that's theoretically optional.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Can't you use TV control board to power monitor? As much as I know monitor connectors are standart, there are afew types but other than that shouldn't be a problem

44 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

To that end, does anyone know of a device that is basically just the "guts" of a TV that will add this processing to any display? 

A GPU. Frame interpolation is done through software, as is color correction and upscaling. As I understand it, it's proprietary software owned by the manufacturers, so you can't get the exact results.

Frame interpolation has become somewhat popular (if controversial) for anime in recent years with DAIN. The other things can be done through your GPU control panel.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

41 minutes ago, Likwid said:

Can't you use TV control board to power monitor? As much as I know monitor connectors are standart, there are afew types but other than that shouldn't be a problem

In theory, that might be possible.  I'm hoping for a more consumer friendly option though that can be easily plugged into and removed from any display without having the DIY together a controller board and one particular panel.

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

A GPU. Frame interpolation is done through software, as is color correction and upscaling. As I understand it, it's proprietary software owned by the manufacturers, so you can't get the exact results.

Frame interpolation has become somewhat popular (if controversial) for anime in recent years with DAIN. The other things can be done through your GPU control panel.

I had considered a software solution, and I may end up resorting to that in the end, but I was hoping for something more stand-alone since from what I've seen, these kinds of things can be tricky to setup.  I know there have been projects around for running it on video for a while but I'm not sure I've ever seen a general purpose one that works on anything on screen (games, etc.)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 9:25 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

PC monitors are very simple displays, they just show what you feed in with basically no processing and as little delay as possible.  TVs are different.  They have much more of a "brain" and do all sorts of colour adjustment and other processing, including (for better or worse) frame interpolation.  Sometimes on a TV you want to turn this stuff off, and although the input lag never seems to go down to quite as low as it would without having that stuff, at least it helps and you do have the option.  The reverse isn't true though.  If you want that processing on a regular desktop display, oh well.

To that end, does anyone know of a device that is basically just the "guts" of a TV that will add this processing to any display?  Specifically, frame interpolation is the main feature I'm looking for, everything else would just be a bonus.  I know there are upscalers out there for increasing resolution but that isn't what I'm looking for.  I would imagine such a device would simply have an HDMI in, HDMI out, and power supply.  Maybe even USB or an IR receiver or just buttons or some other kind of input device for configuration, but that's theoretically optional.

Everything is doable on PC. Windows supports complete calibration profiles, SVP can interpolate frames in movies, with way better quality than any TV, and other features, like HDR to SDR are available in shaders or complete filters like madVR.

2 minutes ago, VoidX said:

Everything is doable on PC. Windows supports complete calibration profiles, SVP can interpolate frames in movies, with way better quality than any TV, and other features, like HDR to SDR are available in shaders or complete filters like madVR.

In theory yes, I'm very much of that mentality myself as well, although I've yet to find software that will do what I'm looking for.  I know it's possible for videos, either live or as a "re-render and save" sort of thing, but what about general purpose that would act on anything and everything on screen, including (for example) games?

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

In theory yes, I'm very much of that mentality myself as well, although I've yet to find software that will do what I'm looking for.  I know it's possible for videos, either live or as a "re-render and save" sort of thing, but what about general purpose that would act on anything and everything on screen, including (for example) games?

That's not possible with the way modern PCs are built, you can't interpolate from frame buffers. You can shade it, but this is not possible completely in shader. Starting at about $250, you could get a fast enough FPGA to do the task, if you find code for it. I've only known one project, which is someone's thesis at my university.

1 minute ago, VoidX said:

That's not possible with the way modern PCs are built, you can't interpolate from frame buffers. You can shade it, but this is not possible completely in shader. Starting at about $250, you could get a fast enough FPGA to do the task, if you find code for it. I've only known one project, which is someone's thesis at my university.

Hmm ok yeah that's what I was thinking that if such a thing exists, it would have to be a stand-alone unit.  That is what I am ideally after anyway as there is some benefit to that - can use it on any display anywhere without needing a powerful PC, and should be simple as plug and play.  Based on other replies and this, it sounds like sadly it's not really a thing though commercially.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hmm ok yeah that's what I was thinking that if such a thing exists, it would have to be a stand-alone unit.  That is what I am ideally after anyway as there is some benefit to that - can use it on any display anywhere without needing a powerful PC, and should be simple as plug and play.  Based on other replies and this, it sounds like sadly it's not really a thing though commercially.

Yes. Sadly, when it's cheap and embedded, it's built for a specific product line, and is only documented internally (or not documented at all), so there's no way of building on it.