The most reliable motherboard manufacturer

The most reliable motherboard manufacturer (regardless of price)  

34 members have voted

1. 1. The most reliable motherboard manufacturer

• ASUS
    • Asrock
    • MSI
    • Gigabyte
    • EVGA
    • BIOSTER

Which manufacturer produces the most reliable motherboard (regardless of price) in your own experience? Has a certain brand of mobo been failing you a lot ?

1 minute ago, gloop said:

All of them have bad motherboards, if you buy by brand, frankly you are stupid. 

I am totally with you on this. It is definitely stupid to buy a mobo solely based on brand and there are other factors at play such as the specs, prices and aesthetics. And here I am polling for the perceived reliability.  

Just now, Cru012 said:

I am totally with you on this. It is definitely stupid to buy a mobo solely based on brand and there are other factors at play such as the specs, prices and aesthetics. And here I am polling for the perceived reliability.  

Then I’ll go Asus. Personally I’ve found they have the best Customer Service, and their BIOSes are half-decent. 

6 minutes ago, Cru012 said:

mobo solely based on brand

If you do that you'll end up with a bad board most likely. 

All of them are good and bad. 

Depends on what model we're talking about. 

Don't buy based on brand, look at the product. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

5 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

If you do that you'll end up with a bad board most likely. 

All of them are good and bad. 

Depends on what model we're talking about. 

Don't buy based on brand, look at the product. 

True, but sadly reliability is not something that shows up in a product review or short test. This is something to look at over time.

Honestly, I don't feel like I have gone through enough motherboards to really say. Based on my own building experience:

- Built with 2 Gigabyte motherboards for my parents. One was in service for 5-10 years. Other one for 6 years. Both work fine to this day.

- Built with 2 MSI motherboards for gaming PC's: both were fine. One PC had issues, but could have been the PSU.

- Built with 1 Asrock motherboard: Works fine.

The more important question is probably: how good is customer support when it fails? Because sooner or later, one will fail, no matter the brand.

Just now, maartendc said:

The more important question is probably: how good is customer support when it fails?

Yea, I guess if we had 3 identical boards from different brands it comes down to that. 

But since we don't really have that, just the product not the brand. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Asus. 

A couple other brands not on the list.

ECS

Abit

DFI

Super Micro

All of the above are reliable boards.

Most of which no longer produce boards.

Through the years have had boards from each manufacturer from the above lists.

Would have to say Biostop was closest to the bottom of the barrel.

I have used Asus boards Z68 + Z270 + Z390 for the past 9 years years and i haven't had a single problem so far. 

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

I'm voting ASUS simply because my last two daily systems have been running on an ASUS board and I haven't had any notable issues, but there is no such thing as reliability based on who manufactured the board - all of these manufacturers have good and bad boards.

Last time I had problems with an ASUS board was with a P43 board of theirs, running a Core 2 Quad, so LGA775.

I've used, or at least attempted to use Asrock I think twice and both times they were a nightmare, but granted they were fairly low-end boards iirc so you get what you pay for I guess.

I tried using an MSI board (either LGA1150 or 1155, can't remember exactly) on which, hilariously, the USB 3.0 port and 24-pin were to close together, so you literally could not plug in the USB 3 without damaging something, so I returned it. That being said, I've got another system running in my home with an MSI B450 board running flawlessly. This, again, goes to show that the manufacturer doesn't really matter, or at least doesn't indicate whether a board will be good or not.

I'm 99% sure I'm not going ASUS for my next build though. Or rather, if I was to build my actual daily system now, I wouldn't go ASUS.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

since you included evga, they honor their warranty and quickly, get a dark and enjoy.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

I'm voting ASUS simply because my last two daily systems have been running on an ASUS board and I haven't had any notable issues, but there is no such thing as reliability based on who manufactured the board - all of these manufacturers have good and bad boards.

Last time I had problems with an ASUS board was with a P43 board of theirs, running a Core 2 Quad, so LGA775.

I've used, or at least attempted to use Asrock I think twice and both times they were a nightmare, but granted they were fairly low-end boards iirc so you get what you pay for I guess.

I tried using an MSI board (either LGA1150 or 1155, can't remember exactly) on which, hilariously, the USB 3.0 port and 24-pin were to close together, so you literally could not plug in the USB 3 without damaging something, so I returned it. That being said, I've got another system running in my home with an MSI B450 board running flawlessly. This, again, goes to show that the manufacturer doesn't really matter, or at least doesn't indicate whether a board will be good or not.

I'm 99% sure I'm not going ASUS for my next build though. Or rather, if I was to build my actual daily system now, I wouldn't go ASUS.

I am a little confused. You had bad experience with Asrock and MSI for various reasons. But that is exactly why you should go for ASUS, right? Because that is at least the one with more neutral/positive experience. 

Just now, Cru012 said:

I am a little confused. You had bad experience with Asrock and MSI for various reasons. But that is exactly why you should go for ASUS, right? Because that is at least the one with more neutral/positive experience. 

I'm not going to comment on Asrock since I don't have enough personal experience with their boards, but what I said is that with MSI I had both good experiences and worse ones, and sort of the same with ASUS (granted a long time ago, specifically back in the DDR2 days). I'm saying that brand does not equal reliability, even with my limited sample size.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

5 hours ago, maartendc said:

True, but sadly reliability is not something that shows up in a product review or short test. This is something to look at over time.

Honestly, I don't feel like I have gone through enough motherboards to really say. Based on my own building experience:

- Built with 2 Gigabyte motherboards for my parents. One was in service for 5-10 years. Other one for 6 years. Both work fine to this day.

- Built with 2 MSI motherboards for gaming PC's: both were fine. One PC had issues, but could have been the PSU.

- Built with 1 Asrock motherboard: Works fine.

The more important question is probably: how good is customer support when it fails? Because sooner or later, one will fail, no matter the brand.

Yes - exactly - there is pretty much no way to measure reliability. Everyone uses the boards differently. Surely overclocking may reduce their life span but not doing so doesn't necessarily mean the board will last longer anyway. Like @Mateyyy and perhaps most of us, there is pretty much no way to get a large enough sample size personally, unless you somehow owns an electronic store and just test every board you have in stock. However, I still think this poll is useful in that people seem to have less problematic issues associated with ASUS at least within this limited sample size. Of course, manufacturing technology can change and probably had given the past day of the liquid vs solid capacity (that was one of my early computer and I thought I broke it). Seems like indeed there is a ASUS premium over and above their omnipresent marketing in YouTube and elsewhere. I guess the only drawback, if any, must be their price. 

4 minutes ago, Cru012 said:

Yes - exactly - there is pretty much no way to measure reliability. Everyone uses the boards differently. Surely overclocking may reduce their life span but not doing so doesn't necessarily mean the board will last longer anyway. Like @Mateyyy and perhaps most of us, there is pretty much no way to get a large enough sample size personally, unless you somehow owns an electronic store and just test every board you have in stock. However, I still think this poll is useful in that people seem to have less problematic issues associated with ASUS at least within this limited sample size. Of course, manufacturing technology can change and probably had given the past day of the liquid vs solid capacity (that was one of my early computer and I thought I broke it). Seems like indeed there is a ASUS premium over and above their omnipresent marketing in YouTube and elsewhere. I guess the only drawback, if any, must be their price. 

Exactly right on the sample size.

But by that logic, I don't think anyone could say any brand is more reliable, including Asus. I've never really bought Asus products, but I'd be surprised if they actually are more reliable in real world application. How much of it is just down to clever marketing?

Perhaps they make appealing products that perform well. But reliability? I mean, electronics are so finicky, I bet every brand has a failure rate of like 1-2% at least.

Look at the failure rate Backblaze posts for hard drives. https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q3-2019/

Most hard drives perform around 1% failure rate. Sure, there are some problematic product lines to be avoided. But by and large, they are all in the same ballpark. Same goes for motherboards probably. Just my opinion.

Worst "manufacturer" are HP, Dell, Lenovo

Change my mind

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

6 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Change my mind

I had two dell laptops before. As a user, I cannot change your mind. 

2 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

Change my mind

Hard to say. I've had two consumer HPs and it was a whole lot of struggle with those.

The most stable laptop I've owned or used is the ThinkPad t420 and my brother's t420s (he now owns a t450). If I ever were to buy a laptop it would be a ThinkPad hands down. 

Although dell and hp business laptops are also decent the time I've used those. 

For desktop brands I've only used Asus and they have been good to me, cleans uefi with decent design choices and features. My brother had a bug two years in with just z97 board so the uefi UI was fucked (every menue on top of each other), we guessed our way to the uefi update menue and after a new bios update it was fine. 

Buying asrock for the first time now because Asus are stupid and puts the 16x slot on slot two on a mATX board, limiting expandability and fresh air for the GPU 

• 1 year later...

I know it is an old thread.

I nearly always use Asus motherboards. I have never had issues with them or a major failure. Two that I know of are still in use at 10 years.

One time I used Gigabyte. The power section actually flamed out.

Recently I used a MSI Z690 Edge WiFi DDR4. Really nice board. Solid as a rock for 2 weeks. Failed after 2 weeks. Newegg wants to replace it with the same but I have no confidence .

7 hours ago, Elgato748 said:

I know it is an old thread.

I nearly always use Asus motherboards. I have never had issues with them or a major failure. Two that I know of are still in use at 10 years.

One time I used Gigabyte. The power section actually flamed out.

Recently I used a MSI Z690 Edge WiFi DDR4. Really nice board. Solid as a rock for 2 weeks. Failed after 2 weeks. Newegg wants to replace it with the same but I have no confidence .

I have personally never had an issue with either MSI or Asus. MSI seems to be making more compelling boards lately at competitive pricing. I have not had luck with Giga boards but I do have a monitor by them that's great

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

I use Asus. I have a hard time buying from other brands because they have been so good to me.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

They've all had stinkers and all had some good ones

These days seems ASRock is the biggest "red flag" in that they underbuild their board's power delivery often.

Pick the one you like

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

• 11 months later...

HELP!!!! 

I need a realible motherboard for 'INTEL i7K , Rogstrix 3070, 32gb DDR5 gskill ram , Rog strix 1000w power supply , 8tb hd , 4.0 SSD.

I APPRICIATE WHO EVER SEES THIS AND HAS THE TIME TO RESPOND!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!