Minecraft: Education Edition Comes to Chromebooks

Summary

Minecraft: Education Edition has been released on chromebooks. It is actually the Android app, but it now has support for Chrome OS. It is free for schools with Microsoft 365 for Education (A3 or A5). For now, students will need to sign in with the Microsoft 365 account, but they are working on adding the ability to sign in with a Google account.

Microsoft is also updating the app. It will be automatically updated on everything except MacOS where you just need to download the newest version.

Minecraft: Education Edition comes with hundreds of free virtual lessons in every core subject from history to science.

Quotes

Microsoft is making Minecraft: Education Edition available for Chromebooks as of today, August 10. Microsoft also is simultaneously updating the education edition of Minecraft for Windows, Mac and iPads for remote and hybrid learning support, officials said today.

Microsoft officials said Chromebook, iPad and Windows users will automatically be upgraded to the latest version of Minecraft: Education Edition. Mac users will need to install the updated version manually.

The Chromebook edition, according to Microsoft, offers the same set of features as the other versions, including multiplayer with other platforms. Educators also have the option of deploying Minecraft to a fleet of managed Chrome devices. Currently, Minecraft: Education Edition requires a Microsoft account to log in, but officials said they are working on enabling users to log in with a Google account, as well "in the near future."

Schools with Microsoft 365 for Education (A3 or A5) already have access to Minecraft: Education Edition. The Education Edition is licensed via yearly subscriptions which can be purchased through the Microsoft Store for Education via volume licensing agreements and/or through partners. 

(ZDNet)

My thoughts

I think this is a great thing. Seeing as how a ton of schools are using chromebooks both in school and for virtual learning, adding this means that many schools can now use it. I think it would be a great way for teachers to engage younger students and teach them without them getting bored and distracted while learning at home.

Sources

Minecraft Website

ZDNet

TechCrunch

The Verge

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Alternate title "Minecraft Piracy Makes the Jump to Chromebook"

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

are there endermen in the education edition?

Never actually used it (and I cant find the answer online), but I doubt they have mobs like that.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Minecraft educaton edition is just free minecraft since almost every school own office 365 and the game has normal survival with the normal stuff you se on bedrock

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

If they use this as virtual classrooms instead of boring zoom calls, I'm all for it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

22 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

If they use this as virtual classrooms instead of boring zoom calls, I'm all for it.

Too good of an idea for modern education/school systems, not gonna happen.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Obligatory tagging of @Gegger and @sub68 since they both have Chromebooks.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Oh god no, even more reasons for schools to switch to chromebooks.

3 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Too good of an idea for modern education/school systems, not gonna happen.

I see that, and raise you it happens but is horribly implemented and the trolls just start building swastika's everywhere for the lulz.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

i mean technically speaking, controlling a minecraft player is much easier to send than a video stream, although the proof of the student being there is hard to ascertain...

We weren't required to have the camera on during classes in the last semester. Not everyone had cameras. The only time we had to, was for a debate/oral exam. Only person with a camera on at all time was the teacher during regular classes.
(And because I don't have a webcam, I had to use my phone, a janky setup where I had Teams opened on both my phone and my PC. It wasn't great)

Heck, most students in the various classes weren't even talking at all, even when prompted to. It was mainly the same 2 or 3 that spoke.

(To be fair, this is in College, it is likely very different for primary/grade schools who'd use minecraft)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Can this teach me which AR splice variants are expressed due to different Abiraterone-Glucocorticoid regimes on an intra-patient basis and the mechanism of action of prednisone inducing somatic mutations in circulating AR-Vs (including CTC and Extracellular vesicles (prostatosomes and exosomes)??

This is great news.. Many years ago.. not that long after Minecraft had become popular, I actually used it for math classes to teach some of the teens... They had a hard time with math, but if it was a math problem they had to solve in Minecraft, then no issue at all.

It is nice to see applications being made much more easy to use in the educational sector.

8 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Kind of off topic, but why isn’t VR conferencing and classrooms a thing yet?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

10 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Kind of off topic, but why isn’t VR conferencing and classrooms a thing yet?

Cost. It would cost schools and companies way too much to get and setup the equipment for it to be worth it.

That said, holographic-like conferencing is becoming a thing. This company, Buffalo Pacific, is making these desk setups where you can have meetings with people who also have it in 3d. Its meant for connecting places like nursing homes to a doctor's office and some offices to each other and not for regular consumers, but it is really cool nevertheless. 

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Can chrome books actually run Minecraft?! I see a lot of chrome book reviews where the system can barely function with 2 programs open.