Game Recommendations for an new to PC gamer

Hi All, New to the forum and to PC gaming. I have been a console gamer since the Master System. but have recently built myself a sweet new PC and am looking for game recommendations. Im looking for an adventure style game (something like uncharted) where i can get used to using a keyboard and mouse.

I think i can run most things on my set up:

Ryzen 3600

RTX 2070 Super

16g 3600 RAM

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Luke

Any preferences in genre, style or general controls (1st or 3rd person, etc.)?

Ghost Recon might be like what you are looking for. It’s a third person shooter but has a pretty good story line and you can get used to walking, using vehicles, and shooting on a keyboard and mouse.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

I assume if you like Uncharted you've played Tomb Raider? If not get on it, you can usually pick it up for cheap from Fanatical.

It may also be worth looking at revisiting some of your old favorites and seeing if there are any mods that's vastly change or improve the game.

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

1 minute ago, gloop said:

Any preferences in genre, style or general controls (1st or 3rd person, etc.)?

Not really, i can get into anything. Right now i am looking fo something easy going with some action where i dont panic and mash all of the keys at once

1 minute ago, mopman94 said:

I assume if you like Uncharted you've played Tomb Raider? If not get on it, you can usually pick it up for cheap from Fanatical.

It may also be worth looking at revisiting some of your old favorites and seeing if there are any mods that's vastly change or improve the game.

Great Idea, I havn't played Tomb Raider since the 90's :D

Just now, LukePiewalk3r said:

Great Idea, I havn't played Tomb Raider since the 90's :D

Cool there have been 3 new games in the last 8 or so years, you should enjoy them if you liked Uncharted.

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

If you want a lot of games for relatively cheap, you should check on humble bundle. They have bundles of games for cheap, and you can pay for what you want. And the money goes to charity too.

Valorant is free and it is a good introduction to PC shooters. Very easy to get into and you aren't spending any money.

Edit:

If you're looking to broaden your gaming horizons, i would also recommend setting up an epic games account and installing their launcher on your computer. Every week they have a couple free games that they give away with absolutely no charge to you. I have gotten 36 free games from them so far, including Watch Dogs, The Escapists 2, Just Cause 4, Moonlighter, Celeste, Borderlands 2, Ark Survival Evolved, etc etc etc. It is a very nice system to slowly expand your library. Free of charge.

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

Assassin's Creed, maybe. You just missed a big sale they were having, but Uplay+ is a good option. $15/mo, but then you get access to the whole catalogue of Ubisoft games (including new titles), with all the DLC. They've got Prince of Persia on that, too, which might be up your alley as well.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

11 minutes ago, LukePiewalk3r said:

for an adventure style game (something like uncharted

tomb raider series is exactly same as unchartered but all better

platinum games are quite outstanding

square enix games for story plot and music

remember to check reviews

youtube honest trailers

I forgot HyperScape. Doesn’t have a story line but it’s a pretty simple first person shooter that I have enjoyed. It’s also free so no harm in trying it

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

1 hour ago, dfsgsfa said:

tomb raider series is exactly same as unchartered but all better.

Tomb Raider is not better than Uncharted. In any category. It's a perfectly decent game, but Uncharted is better. It is the closest analog available on PC though.

• I recommend the newer Deus Ex games for gameplay/exploration. The story is mostly intriguing with a few areas that fall flat. The original game has a better story, but it's pretty old and the gameplay is super rough and I couldn't finish it. It's typically not a super intense shooter, so you should be able to get used to mouse and keyboard.
  • The Yakuza series are being ported to PC, if you haven't played them before. Yakuza 0 is amazing. Controller recommended.
  • The Witcher 3 runs better on PC, and has an absurd amount of mods, from quality of life changes, menu systems, graphical improvements, to being able to play as Deadpool, Big Boss, or Link. You can use mouse and keyboard, I personally preferred controller.
  • FEAR if you want batshit crazy shooter. Not very scary. KBM
  • STALKER franchise as an introduction to eurojank cult classics. It's a little hard to get into, but it can be worth it. Especially with mods. KBM
  • Subnautica is a pretty decent survival game with an actual endgame goal. KBM or controller.

I don't know how many PC only games I have that I'd recommend.

#Muricaparrotgang

Fallout 4, New Vegas, Skyrim, are all good games.  Besides getting used to keyboard controls they are also great for modding which is another of the big benefits of PC gaming.  Also if you decide you don't like keyboard and mouse most PC games can also be played with a controller.  Witcher 3 would be a good example of a game which probably plays better on controller than keyboard (Note: Also very moddable).

For something Adventure-style, Horizon Zero Dawn just released on PC and has unlocked FPS and some slightly better graphics than the PS4 version. It also has some significant issues and people are anticipating a patch or two for it. If you haven't played Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, it's another adventurous game and I think is the best of the AC series.

A bunch of other console games have recently been ported to PC: The Halo collection, Persona 4, Detroit, Beyond Two Souls, Heavy Rain, Death Stranding.

Outside of adventure-type stuff, you could check out some titles that are exclusive to, or play best on PC:

Civilization series

Total War series

Homeworld and Deserts of Kharak

Age of Empires

Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis

Age of Wonders

Banner Saga

There are some excellent remasters of classic isometric RPG games:

Planescape Torment

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2

Fallout 1 and 2

Torment: Numenera and Tyranny are newer games in this style that I like

And if you don't mind playing an older-looking game, Gothic 2 is an amazing RPG.

If you want to go old-school hardcore strategy, could check out Jagged Alliance 2.

There are some city building or society- management games, like Cities: Skylines and the Tropico series.

Any first-person shooters you really like or haven't played but want to, you can check those out on PC and they'll be a different, more responsive, experience than playing with a controller.

And if you want something to push your new PC, you could try out the in-development Star Citizen. Or Kingdom Come: Deliverance, which is a really good RPG.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

On 8/11/2020 at 10:06 PM, LukePiewalk3r said:

Hi All, New to the forum and to PC gaming. I have been a console gamer since the Master System. but have recently built myself a sweet new PC and am looking for game recommendations. Im looking for an adventure style game (something like uncharted) where i can get used to using a keyboard and mouse.

Ryzen 3600

RTX 2070 Super

16g 3600 RAM

Luke

Don’t use a mouse and keyboard for an 3rd person AA/RPG type games. Most of them encourage you to use a controller (Dark souls 3 for example). KB+M is better for FPS games, point and clicks, strat games etc.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

On 8/11/2020 at 11:06 PM, LukePiewalk3r said:

Ryzen 3600

RTX 2070 Super

16g 3600 RAM

Luke

You could try Far Cry 3? (does it count as adventure?)

Other games I can suggest off the top of my head:

MGSV:The Phantom Pain

Yakuza 0

Yakuza Kiwami 2

Resident Evil (all of them except 1 and 0)

The Walking Dead:The Telltale Series

Call Of Duty:World At War

Spec Ops: The Line

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood,Rogue,Black Flag

Dead Space 1 - 3

Hotline Miami 1 and 2

Dying Light

Halo:The Master Chief Collection

Jet Set Radio

Thank you all for the responses, some great suggestions. im currently downloading Tomb Raider and will go from there.

Half-Life 2

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

Here are some games I would recommend.

- The Brothers in Arms trilogy: I like these for their good storytelling and alright combat

- Arma 3: I like this for the sheer diversity of missions and possibilities.

- DefCon: I like this for the incredibly depressing nature of the game and combat, which makes you think about nuclear warfare and MAD

- Hell Let Loose: Good tactical world war 2 shooter

- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed: I like this for the combat system.

- The Witcher trilogy: for the story, the gameplay isn't all that great (especially the first one) 2 and 3 will look better on PC than console.

That's all I can think of ATM.