Swap to LibreOffice for collaborative spreadsheets?

Hi all, I'm looking at switching to LibreOffice as I want to be able to have collaborative spreadsheets without having to subscribe to 365 or use a cloud service as I have a home NAS. I'm currently using office 2019 with .xlsx

Are there any alternative solutions to collaborating without having to switch to LibreOffice? Just worried I might run into issues converting all my sheets to .ods

Tia, Duck

3770k @ 4.4Ghz @ hotter than the Sun

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Strix 980 Ti with intel heatsink fans cable tied to it

Gamemax F15

3 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Google Docs seems like the obvious choice to me? Why not consider that?

Oh can you edit local documents with google docs?

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Gamemax F15

2 minutes ago, y3llowduk said:

No, it's a cloud based solution. Documents are saved to google cloud and allow multiple people to edit them at the same time. 

You do have export option to export to PDF, XLS, etc. when it comes time and you need a local copy to email or whatever.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

14 minutes ago, y3llowduk said:

collaborative spreadsheets without having to subscribe to 365 or use a cloud service

The cloud service part is what allows collaborative spreadsheets to work, so unless you can find some open source platform to run on your own server you'll have to go with a commercial offering.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, y3llowduk said:

Sort of, you can download documents and use Sheets or Docs offline. Tbh I think it's your best bet, or at least worth a shot.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, Skipple said:

No, it's a cloud based solution. Documents are saved to google cloud and allow multiple people to edit them at the same time. 

You do have export option to export to PDF, XLS, etc. when it comes time and you need a local copy to email or whatever.

As I said, I don't want to use a cloud solution. I want to use my NAS... I don't want some of my stuff on my NAS and some of it on a google drive. Becomes hard to keep track of stuff.

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Gamemax F15

Sad times :( I may give LibreOffice a go for a few months and see if my sheets behave themselves as .ods. Just wish there was a more mainstream solution to this without being dependent on a cloud service.

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Gamemax F15

1 minute ago, y3llowduk said:

Sad times :( I may give LibreOffice a go for a few months and see if my sheets behave themselves as .ods. Just wish there was a more mainstream solution to this without being dependent on a cloud service.

I'm not exactly sure what you are expecting out of LibreOffice: 

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Collaborative_Editing#Are_we_there_yet.3F_Is_it_Ready_Yet.3F

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

LibreOffice will not allow for any collaborative editing, it's strictly the old local file based model where only one person has it open at a time. 

They seem to have a webapp version though, basically one of those "cloud" solutions but that you can host yourself: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/LibreOffice_Online

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Skipple said:

I'm not exactly sure what you are expecting out of LibreOffice: 

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Collaborative_Editing#Are_we_there_yet.3F_Is_it_Ready_Yet.3F

Collaboration does seem to work OK, I've got it working on LibreOffice. Just a bit less streamlined than google docs and 365 etc. Just the whole converting all my stuff to .ods and making the official switch-over which has me worried. Hence why I wanted to know if there was a way without using LibreOffice; using regular .xlsx file type.

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Gamemax F15

5 minutes ago, y3llowduk said:

Collaboration does seem to work OK, I've got it working on LibreOffice. Just a bit less streamlined than google docs and 365 etc. Just the whole converting all my stuff to .ods and making the official switch-over which has me worried. Hence why I wanted to know if there was a way without using LibreOffice; using regular .xlsx file type.

Just use the .xlsx format? I use LibreOffice for work and save everything as Microsoft Office Friendly formats without issue, I don't really use the OpenOffice Formats.

2 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

Just use the .xlsx format? I use LibreOffice for work and save everything as Microsoft Office Friendly formats without issue, I don't really use the OpenOffice Formats.

I was going to say. I thought microsoft integrated Open standards (for spreadsheets) for a long time now. 

ask me about my homelab

2 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

The collaboration feature only works on .ods :(

Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2

P8Z77-V

16GB Avexir Venom 2133

Gamemax F15