Optical or Aux cable for speaker setup (z625+MSI gaming 970)

Hello!

I'm in need of some infomation, basically i wanted to upgrade to the logitech z625 2.1 computer speakers, i have the z506's and use them in a 3.1 setup, they sound great and work great. Had them for probably over 4 years now and they have yet to fail me. I am currently using an aux cable to connect to my motherboard.

Basically the z625 has an optical port, my question is. Should i set them up on my computer with an optical cable going to my motherboard? Or an Aux cable? what is the difference? My motherboard has a optical port for sound, but some forums say its for consoles only. Well if its for consoles only why does my motherboard have one? 

My motherboard is the msi gaming 970, i have the realtek audio drivers and everything is fully updated and all audio drivers are working great! Under the spec sheet for my motherboard this is all it has for audio, hopefully this helps! The main reason i wanna go from a 3.1 to a 2.1, is because my center channel acts like another speaker, my driver has no clue that its a center speaker, and when i set it up in TRUE 3.1 mode, it basically doesnt work unless the game/movie/music im playing/watching is built for 3.1 or whatever, it honestly sounds better to have it just act as another speaker. The z625 is much much louder for the speakers are thx certifed, they should be great for gaming and music! (Prove me if i am wrong please :))

Audio 

• Realtek® ALC1150 Codec
- 7.1-Channel High Definition Audio
- Supports S/PDIF output

AUX and optical transmit different signals, AUX transmits analog audio, optical transmits digital audio.

If you use an AUX cable, the speakers will use the DAC (digital to analog converter) built into your motherboard, if you use an optical cable the speakers will use the DAC built into your speakers.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

AUX and optical transmit different signals, AUX transmits analog audio, optical transmits digital audio.

If you use an AUX cable, the speakers will use the DAC (digital to analog converter) built into your motherboard, if you use an optical cable the speakers will use the DAC built into your speakers.

Alright so what would be better in terms of sound quailty?

9 minutes ago, Trist100 said:

Alright so what would be better in terms of sound quailty?

Not sure, it depends on the DAC used in each. My bet would be on the motherboard DAC (AUX) being better, but that will also get sent through your motherboard's amplifier before going to the speakers which might degrade the sound quality. If you have the option try both and see what you like better, or even if any difference is there at all.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 hour ago, BobVonBob said:

Not sure, it depends on the DAC used in each. My bet would be on the motherboard DAC (AUX) being better, but that will also get sent through your motherboard's amplifier before going to the speakers which might degrade the sound quality. If you have the option try both and see what you like better, or even if any difference is there at all.

So is that really the only differences? I did so much research about this subject and nothing described it so simply. It was always "optical has different bitrates and you need a special decoder" and all that. And most people say that optical is used for consoles. But consoles also have aux. So why is optical apparently always used for console if they have aux to? 

Sorry for all the questions. I honestly am so thankful for you're help. I've been trying to figure this out for like 2 days now and found nothing! 

On 8/10/2020 at 9:43 PM, Trist100 said:

So is that really the only differences? I did so much research about this subject and nothing described it so simply. It was always "optical has different bitrates and you need a special decoder" and all that. And most people say that optical is used for consoles. But consoles also have aux. So why is optical apparently always used for console if they have aux to? 

Sorry for all the questions. I honestly am so thankful for you're help. I've been trying to figure this out for like 2 days now and found nothing! 

The Optical port supports things like Dolby Digital 5.1, etc. Because you are using a 2.1 setup, there isn't much advantage to using Optical over AUX, since in both cases, the audio stream is going to be simple Stereo.

As suggested, try both and compare. the DAC in the speakers themselves might sound better if it's a higher quality DAC. But the difference may not be noticeable either. You'll have to try them and report back to us.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)