Now that I know UserBenchmark is garbage, what are the best benchmark tests?

noahthedestroyer5

Ive noticed that so many people say to not use userbenchmark, why? Doesnt it give you comparisons to similar hardware so you can see if youre ok in performance? I stopped using it because so many people hate it. And what makes 3Dmark so trustworthy to see if youre performing ok?

Afaik, userbenchmark is biased towards Intel, so their benchmarks are calculated/made in such a way that favors Intel. Could be wrong though.

Because many of those figures you see on Userbenchmark are about as reliable as tossing random numbers in random.org.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

because userbenchmark is not reliable, they alter results afaik, and is inaccurate. 

3Dmark is more trust worthy to say the least.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, lewdicrous said:

Afaik, userbenchmark is biased towards Intel, so their benchmarks are calculated/made in such a way that favors Intel. Could be wrong though.

ah ok. So it could be trustworthy if it wasnt?

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Because many of those figures you see on Userbenchmark are about as reliable as tossing random numbers in random.org.

so i just should stick to 3dmark to test performance?

Just now, noahthedestroyer5 said:

ah ok. So it could be trustworthy if it wasnt?

Userbenchmark is not considered to be trustworthy by many. Their recent actions certainly burned whatever trust they had to begin with.

3 minutes ago, noahthedestroyer5 said:

Ive noticed that so many people say to not use userbenchmark, why? Doesnt it give you comparisons to similar hardware so you can see if youre ok in performance? I stopped using it because so many people hate it. And what makes 3Dmark so trustworthy to see if youre performing ok?

userbenchmark engages in a lot of unprofessional practices and you can find plenty of documentation about all that. buuuuuut the single thing i continue to use their site for is same-hardware comparisons. keep in mind that many benchmarks are heavily overclocked systems that will make your scores look like shit but it's nice to see how your specific hardware is performing. 3dmark/passmark do this better though, but i usually use a variety of test suites. for anything other than comparing your system to other identical systems, ub is shit lol

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

because userbenchmark is not reliable, they alter results afaik, and is inaccurate. 

3Dmark is more trust worthy to say the least.

so 3d mark is really trustworthy?

so i just should stick to 3dmark to test performance?

Are you looking for something to benchmark your rig or are you looking to compared between hardware?

10 hours ago, noahthedestroyer5 said:

so 3d mark is really trustworthy?

they are.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, VeganJoy said:

userbenchmark engages in a lot of unprofessional practices and you can find plenty of documentation about all that. buuuuuut the single thing i continue to use their site for is same-hardware comparisons. keep in mind that many benchmarks are heavily overclocked systems that will make your scores look like shit but it's nice to see how your specific hardware is performing. 3dmark/passmark do this better though, but i usually use a variety of test suites. for anything other than comparing your system to other identical systems, ub is shit lol

ok lol. so is 3dmark good?

Are you looking for something to benchmark your rig or are you looking to compared between hardware?

both. to test my system and compare

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

But how about if you ignore those total scores, and instead look at the actual values? (so ignoring the two values with a red dot in front of them, and only looking at the values with the yellow line)

rG7xpfb.png

Are those any good?

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

passmark will do that for every component which is nice. theyre not too shabby

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

1 minute ago, TomvanWijnen said:

But how about if you ignore those total scores, and instead look at the actual values? (so ignoring the two values with a red dot in front of them, and only looking at the values with the yellow line)

rG7xpfb.png

Are those any good?

im not sure. I guess not maybe?

1 minute ago, VeganJoy said:

passmark will do that for every component which is nice. theyre not too shabby

true i do have passmark but i prefer 3dmark since its on steam a=

For testing, you have 3DMark, Heaven, Cinebench, Blender and some others. Some games also have builtin benchmarks.

true i do have passmark but i prefer 3dmark since its on steam a=

pretty sure 3dmark only scores your cpu and gpu which can be compared with other users' benchmarks

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

For testing, you have 3DMark, Heaven, Cinebench, Blender and some others. Some games also have builtin benchmarks.

ah ok so if my score is the same as others with the same hardware im good?

Just now, VeganJoy said:

pretty sure 3dmark only scores your cpu and gpu which can be compared with other users' benchmarks

it does

Just now, BlueScope819 said:

"effective speed" is defined as 40% single-core, 58% quad-core, and 2% multi-core.

Do you think anything above a quad core should be weighted 2%?

That big 9% weighting at the top of the average score is based off of that. Neither of those are accurate you need to look at the actual 1 core, 2 core, 4 core, and 8 core numbers but notice that it doesn't go beyond 8 core? 8 cores are very consumery these days.

ah ok. im new to computers so idk this stuff

4 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

"effective speed" is defined as 40% single-core, 58% quad-core, and 2% multi-core.

Do you think anything above a quad core should be weighted 2%?

That big 9% weighting at the top of the average score is based off of that. Neither of those are accurate you need to look at the actual 1 core, 2 core, 4 core, and 8 core numbers but notice that it doesn't go beyond 8 core? 8 cores are very consumery these days.

(not to mention a 10900k would score the same as a 10900k with two of its cores disabled)

Like I said, I don't care about the "Effective Speed" and "Average Score" values, I just care about the 1, 2, 4, 8 core speeds. If you just look at those, and aren't looking at expensive enough chips where the maximum of 8 cores will really matter, are those values any good?

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

2 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Observe.

(remember that those CPUs are about $200 more expensive compared to their AMD counterparts when you factor in the cost of the motherboard and cooler)

ok thank you im watching now. so basically is 3dmark trustworthy to see if im performing ok?

6 minutes ago, noahthedestroyer5 said:

ah ok so if my score is the same as others with the same hardware im good?

There will be some variation in the numbers, even for similar parts, this could be due to margin of error, the silicon lottery, etc.

It's not something you should really be worried about, unless the part is severely under performing.