Questions about custom made keyboards

Go to solution Solved by Eschew,

Hey there.

9 hours ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

1. Are there any custom keyboards out there you can build without soldering?

Plenty. Above, gloop's answered your question (look for boards with hot-swappable PCBs) and also mentioned the GMMK -- a solid board for a first-timer, goes for at least $59.99 (barebones, no switches, no keycaps) or $109.95 (pre-built, Gateron Brown switches). Full-size, TKL, and 60% versions are available in ISO layout as well. Other hot-swappable choices:

• XD87 HS PCB/Keyboard Kit (KPrepublic): TKL Keyboard. Wired. Compatible with PCB-Mounted Switches.
  • GK61/GK61x/GK61xs Keyboard Kit (Amazon, Aliexpress): 60% Compact Keyboard. GK61x is wired. GK61xs is wireless (Bluetooth). Compatible with PCB-Mounted Switches.
  • ZH0750 Keyboard Kit (KBDfans): 60% Compact Keyboard. Wired. Compatible with PCB-Mounted Switches.

Keyboard kits are equipped with PCB, stabilizers, a mounting plate, case, and cables (if applicable). They do not include keycaps or switches unless otherwise specified.

2. Could you please recommend some good hotswapable silent key switches?

8 hours ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Linear

Slightly uncertain what you mean by 'hot-swappable switches,' so I'll just focus on the 'silent' and 'linear' part. Most, if not all, the switches below have dampeners inside the switch that cushions the impact and sound of a keystroke. Listed in no particular order:

I'd also argue that for linear switches, silence depends partly (mostly?) on the keyboard mounting plate/faceplate material. General rule of thumb is that denser materials create higher-pitched sounds. What you hear from typing normally on linear switches is the clack of the keyboard. Slowly bottoming out on any linear switch should give you a smooth physical experience and little to no auditory feedback (definitely no clicks). 🤔

4. Are there any transparent keys with black text?

Max Keyboards offers a selection of translucent keycaps with legends:

There might be other vendors selling translucent keycaps with black legends. I'd suggest checking out marketplaces like Aliexpress, Banggood, or eBay?

I'm planning to buy parts to do a custom build keyboard.

But I'm a newbie at this, so I'm hoping I could get some advice from the well versed builders. 

Questions :

3. Is there anyway to make the custom keyboard wireless? 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

2 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Are there any custom keyboards out there you can build without soldering?

Yes, they are called ‘hotswap’ keyboards. One of the most popular boards is the GMMK Hotswap, which comes in 60%, TKL and Full Sized. 

3 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Could you please recommend some good hotswapable silent key switches?

Linear or Tactile?

3 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Is there anyway to make the custom keyboard wireless?

There are ways but it requires soldering a controller and writing some custom firmware IIRC. 

4 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Are there any transparent keys with black text? 

?

51 minutes ago, gloop said:

Yes, they are called ‘hotswap’ keyboards. One of the most popular boards is the GMMK Hotswap, which comes in 60%, TKL and Full Sized. 

Linear or Tactile?

There are ways but it requires soldering a controller and writing some custom firmware IIRC. 

?

Linear, sorry I ment transparent key caps with black lettering. 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

Hey there.

Plenty. Above, gloop's answered your question (look for boards with hot-swappable PCBs) and also mentioned the GMMK -- a solid board for a first-timer, goes for at least $59.99 (barebones, no switches, no keycaps) or $109.95 (pre-built, Gateron Brown switches). Full-size, TKL, and 60% versions are available in ISO layout as well. Other hot-swappable choices:

• XD87 HS PCB/Keyboard Kit (KPrepublic): TKL Keyboard. Wired. Compatible with PCB-Mounted Switches.
  • GK61/GK61x/GK61xs Keyboard Kit (Amazon, Aliexpress): 60% Compact Keyboard. GK61x is wired. GK61xs is wireless (Bluetooth). Compatible with PCB-Mounted Switches.
  • ZH0750 Keyboard Kit (KBDfans): 60% Compact Keyboard. Wired. Compatible with PCB-Mounted Switches.

Keyboard kits are equipped with PCB, stabilizers, a mounting plate, case, and cables (if applicable). They do not include keycaps or switches unless otherwise specified.

8 hours ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Linear

Slightly uncertain what you mean by 'hot-swappable switches,' so I'll just focus on the 'silent' and 'linear' part. Most, if not all, the switches below have dampeners inside the switch that cushions the impact and sound of a keystroke. Listed in no particular order:

I'd also argue that for linear switches, silence depends partly (mostly?) on the keyboard mounting plate/faceplate material. General rule of thumb is that denser materials create higher-pitched sounds. What you hear from typing normally on linear switches is the clack of the keyboard. Slowly bottoming out on any linear switch should give you a smooth physical experience and little to no auditory feedback (definitely no clicks). 🤔

There might be other vendors selling translucent keycaps with black legends. I'd suggest checking out marketplaces like Aliexpress, Banggood, or eBay?

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

13 hours ago, Eschew said:

Hey there.

Will do thanks.