Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Newbie on a budget wanting to buy an SSD

Go to solution Solved by paddy-stone,
27 minutes ago, Hsuyaa said:

I am not very sure. I think maybe it doesnt. this is my motherboard.

https://www.gigabyte.com/in/Motherboard/GA-H61M-S-rev-10/sp#sp

After doing a bit of digging, i think its sata 2

Yes,聽 3GB/s is SATA 2.

At SATA 2, you might as well go with the su650 from Adata... it might even max out the SATA 2 bandwidth of 375MB/s. It'll certainly be way faster than a mech drive that's for sure.

Hello guys 馃槉, A fellow PC聽 user here. Today morning when i woke up, i was greeted with a surprise. My PC wont boot into windows saying the windows boot is corrupt. After 30 minutes of troubleshooting i came to the realization that my 8 year old snail 512 GB HDD had finally given up at trying to survive. So i decided, its finally time to give the old geezer a burial and say hello to a brand new Solid state drive. But i have a very limited knowledge about what SSD i should go for.聽

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽I am from India and on kind of a tight budget. I can spend around Rs3000 ($40) to get one. I shortlisted a few on amazon.in but the reviews of a few talking about drive failure聽kinda scared me. So here i am hoping someone could list up聽some good budget drives for me to聽buy. I am not looking for a 512GB SSD, a 240 gig one will be enough. Was looking at these before i thought its better to ask the pros.

https://www.amazon.in/Seagate-Maxtor-240GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B07W3BK7GG/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Solid+State+Drives&qid=1597059215&s=computers&sr=1-6

聽聽

https://www.amazon.in/Kingston-240GB-Q500-SATA3-2-5/dp/B07KCGPRMQ/ref=sr_1_25_sspa?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Internal+Solid+State+Drives&qid=1597058909&s=computers&sr=1-25-spons&ts_id=1375379031&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNVlJVUFRTkhNTkRDJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDUxNzQzMzUxNlNTWFpHUDZRNyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzI4NjU5MkVMTFpNTlI0M01LUCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0Zl9uZXh0JmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.amazon.in/ADATA-240GB-neme-Pcie-ASU650/dp/B07HCN5MRN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=adata+su650&qid=1597061095&s=computers&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTjJOSEhGOUJUSFpZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjgxOTQxRlBLRjNNWVAwMFg5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NzIxODQySURQWkVVRUdVUkVCJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽

Once again thanks alot guys for helping me out here! 馃槂

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Hsuyaa said:

I am not very sure. I think maybe it doesnt. this is my motherboard.

https://www.gigabyte.com/in/Motherboard/GA-H61M-S-rev-10/sp#sp

After doing a bit of digging, i think its sata 2

Yes,聽 3GB/s is SATA 2.

At SATA 2, you might as well go with the su650 from Adata... it might even max out the SATA 2 bandwidth of 375MB/s. It'll certainly be way faster than a mech drive that's for sure.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:-聽
  • Main PC build聽聽https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e聽 - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build聽 https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K聽 b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Yes,聽 3GB/s is SATA 2.

At SATA 2, you might as well go with the su650 from Adata... it might even max out the SATA 2 bandwidth of 375MB/s. It'll certainly be way faster than a mech drive that's for sure.

thanks alot! can i ask one more thing? how often do ssds fail? because i was seeing its reviews and a few said that the drive failed for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hsuyaa said:

thanks alot! can i ask one more thing? how often do ssds fail? because i was seeing its reviews and a few said that the drive failed for them.

I don't know exactly, but it differs per manufacturer and product lines. It should be significantly lower than a mech drive though because of no moving parts to fail, they're more likely to fail because of the controller board IIRC.

If you had more of a budget I would suggest to only have the OS on the SSD, and keep files on a mech drive/USB so that if the worst were to happen and the SSD does fail, then you won't lose your files at the same time.

But of course, then you'd have the problem of what if the mech drive failed.... this is why it's ideally better to have important files backed up in at least 2 or 3 places, to lessen the chances of a drive failure to make you lose all your important files. It's difficult I know, especially if you're on a budget. But that's the only way of being more sure of not losing your files to some kind of failure.

Failures can happen across many pieces of hardware, and not just the cheaper ones, many expensive drives and other hardware can fail also.

Bear in mind one thing.... people are more likely to leave a review of a hardware failing, than ones that are happy with their purchase IMO. So it's more important to see reviews from reputable sources than from people reviewing their purchases. I will say also that out of the number that are sold, to how many drives fail, are usually pretty small in comparison, especially with SSDs. I still have a couple os Samsun 830 drives from 8 years ago that are still going strong... they aren't in my PCs any more as they are slow in comparison to today's SSDs, but they are used still (they are much slower than the drives you are looking at buying for example).

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:-聽
  • Main PC build聽聽https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e聽 - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build聽 https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K聽 b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

I don't know exactly, but it differs per manufacturer and product lines. It should be significantly lower than a mech drive though because of no moving parts to fail, they're more likely to fail because of the controller board IIRC.

If you had more of a budget I would suggest to only have the OS on the SSD, and keep files on a mech drive/USB so that if the worst were to happen and the SSD does fail, then you won't lose your files at the same time.

But of course, then you'd have the problem of what if the mech drive failed.... this is why it's ideally better to have important files backed up in at least 2 or 3 places, to lessen the chances of a drive failure to make you lose all your important files. It's difficult I know, especially if you're on a budget. But that's the only way of being more sure of not losing your files to some kind of failure.

Failures can happen across many pieces of hardware, and not just the cheaper ones, many expensive drives and other hardware can fail also.

Bear in mind one thing.... people are more likely to leave a review of a hardware failing, than ones that are happy with their purchase IMO. So it's more important to see reviews from reputable sources than from people reviewing their purchases. I will say also that out of the number that are sold, to how many drives fail, are usually pretty small in comparison, especially with SSDs. I still have a couple os Samsun 830 drives from 8 years ago that are still going strong... they aren't in my PCs any more as they are slow in comparison to today's SSDs, but they are used still (they are much slower than the drives you are looking at buying for example).

Very informative answer. Thank you! I did not think of it in the sense and i guess youre right. I am buying an ssd from adata. I am not going for the su650 one but su800 which i think is better. It has dram whereas the su650 didnt have it. I guess dramless ssds arent bad either but i was getting this su800 one at a slightly higher cost (Rs3400) compared to the su650 (Rs2700) so i went for it.聽

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hsuyaa said:

Very informative answer. Thank you! I did not think of it in the sense and i guess youre right. I am buying an ssd from adata. I am not going for the su650 one but su800 which i think is better. It has dram whereas the su650 didnt have it. I guess dramless ssds arent bad either but i was getting this su800 one at a slightly higher cost (Rs3400) compared to the su650 (Rs2700) so i went for it.聽

I was going to suggest that one, but you said you had a budget of RS3000, so I didn't bother mentioning it. Where did you manage to get a 240GB SU800 for that price?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:-聽
  • Main PC build聽聽https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e聽 - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build聽 https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K聽 b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 10:36 PM, paddy-stone said:

I was going to suggest that one, but you said you had a budget of RS3000, so I didn't bother mentioning it. Where did you manage to get a 240GB SU800 for that price?

oh yeah i had a budget of Rs3000 but i tried to stretch. It was just a bit more for a much better ssd so i got it. Also i got it on amazon. Initially i wanted to only spend under Rs3000 but after doing research + getting suggestions from you guys, i decided to get that one.聽

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now