Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC will be used for home office work (i.e. editing documents, accessing email, web browsing for images/videos/articles, etc.) and I realize building something "simple" will be a lot better, cheaper and more fun than getting some pre-built from Best Buy. No real "budget" per se since it can be a simple machine, and I already have pretty acceptable peripherals (case, monitor, mouse, and keyboard). 

 

What I need help with:

1.- CPU: AMD Athlon 300G 2-core, 4-Thread    OR   AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 4-Core, 4-Threads   ......... +/- $40 difference between the two.

These are the ones I am considering since they come with the integrated graphics and I don't find it necessary to get a GPU for this system.

 

2.- PSU: ???  Perhaps an EVGA 450 BR or similar.

 

3.- Motherboard: I'm really in over my head with these... Reading other topics on the forum I've seen Gigabyte B450 S2H, DS3H, Gaming X... I really don't know.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

even a 10 year old machine would be totally fine for that, so you don't even need to get new parts for this, a machine made up of slightly older parts will do the job just fine. 

Phone: iPhone 6s | 64GB iOS
MacBook Pro: Mid-2012 | Core i5 3210M | 8GB RAM | 250GB SSD | macOS

PC: Supermicro X8DT3 | 2x Xeon X5650 | R9 290X | 32GB RAM500GB SSD | Bitfenix Whisper 850W | Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites

where are you buying the parts from?

though used is also an option

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Budget? Giving a number would help. 

But for that workload. Getting an optiplex with a 3770 for like 150 bucks will be more than enough. 

But if you have to go new. An athlon  3000g/220g build will more than enough. 

Wārudobītā

CPU: Ryzen 3 3100. Board: B550m TUF plus. Memory: 16 (2x8) 3200 cl16 Hyper x Fury RGB. GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 1650 super.  Boot Drive: MX500. Case: Antec NX500 (Quite crappy. :p) PSU: CX450. 

 

Hehe, Meshify c is a kewl case. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A new build is unnecessary, just buy an old i5/i7 and throw an SSD in

 

If you really want to build a new system, an Athlon 200GE or Athlon 3000G is the way to go, you don't really need a 3200G for these tasks.

 

Again, wouldn't recommend a new build for this use case

AMD Ryzen 3 3200G / Sapphire R9 290X / 16gb (2x8) Kingston ValueRam @ 2666Mhz / Gigabyte A320M-S2H / Kingston A400 120GB M.2 SSD / WD Blue 2.5" 1TB HDD / Cooler Master MWE450 / Aerocool CS-100 / LG 22MK400H-B 1920x1080 @ 75Hz

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Oswin said:

where are you buying the parts from?

though used is also an option

Looking for new ones on Amazon, Newegg, Facebook Marketplace. Browsing wherever

8 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

even a 10 year old machine would be totally fine for that, so you don't even need to get new parts for this, a machine made up of slightly older parts will do the job just fine. 

True, the thing is that there's no 10 year old machine available and I would like to give this new machine that "10 year old machine" status in the future.

 

10 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Budget? Giving a number would help. 

But for that workload. Getting an optiplex with a 3770 for like 150 bucks will be more than enough. 

But if you have to go new. An athlon  3000g/220g build will more than enough. 

Lets give it a budget of $300 for the system. I'd rather go new so that it lives on for a while.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

A new build is unnecessary, just buy an old i5/i7 and throw an SSD in

 

If you really want to build a new system, an Athlon 200GE or Athlon 3000G is the way to go, you don't really need a 3200G for these tasks.

 

Again, wouldn't recommend a new build for this use case

Like a 5th gen i5 or somewhere around there?

Link to post
Share on other sites

if want to go new athlon 3000g 8GB of dual channel ram is enough and the other parts is easy to decide

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JRTG said:

True, the thing is that there's no 10 year old machine available and I would like to give this new machine that "10 year old machine" status in the future.

i know, i'm jsut saying that's how far back you can go. a system around 3rd/4th gen intel (8 to 6 years old) is better suited for this, a 3rd or 4th gen Core i5 will still be fast for these things in at least 5 years and you can find those cheap

Phone: iPhone 6s | 64GB iOS
MacBook Pro: Mid-2012 | Core i5 3210M | 8GB RAM | 250GB SSD | macOS

PC: Supermicro X8DT3 | 2x Xeon X5650 | R9 290X | 32GB RAM500GB SSD | Bitfenix Whisper 850W | Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JRTG said:

I'd rather go new so that it lives on for a while.

um hardeware for the most part like the cpu do not degrade over time, unless you were shoving insane voltage to the cpu. 

an optiplex with an ssd will be more than enough or..

a little over budget but will also be more than enough.

Wārudobītā

CPU: Ryzen 3 3100. Board: B550m TUF plus. Memory: 16 (2x8) 3200 cl16 Hyper x Fury RGB. GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 1650 super.  Boot Drive: MX500. Case: Antec NX500 (Quite crappy. :p) PSU: CX450. 

 

Hehe, Meshify c is a kewl case. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JRTG said:

Like a 5th gen i5 or somewhere around there?

just buy one of these if u want

 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076D71Q4L/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=A119SE0C9SQSZY&psc=1

9900k 1.36v max 1.3v avx 5.2ghz-1avx 4.8 cache 95C 175w 1.05v 4.4ghz 95w 55C R20/blender temps ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 2x8gb 16-16-16-34-280-24 ddr3866  bdie 1.42v dram 1.22v io/sa (anything higher needs more voltage on all (dram/io/sa) ll EVGA 2080 ti XC 1995//7600 power limited 79C max, stock voltage (bad ocer) ll 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA G2 1300w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA272w (movie, work mon) 2k60 14bit lut ll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98)

 

old rig 8600k d15 evga 1080 ti hybrid  z370 extreme 4 2x8gb ddr3000 512gb nvme evo+ 860 evo 500gb raid 0 evga p2 1000w 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mahyar said:

if want to go new athlon 3000g 8GB of dual channel ram is enough and the other parts is easy to decide

Sounds good, thx

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

i know, i'm jsut saying that's how far back you can go. a system around 3rd/4th gen intel (8 to 6 years old) is better suited for this, a 3rd or 4th gen Core i5 will still be fast for these things in at least 5 years and you can find those cheap

Super. I'll look around and see what I can find. Thanks

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

um hardeware for the most part like the cpu do not degrade over time, unless you were shoving insane voltage to the cpu. 

an optiplex with an ssd will be more than enough or..

a little over budget but will also be more than enough.

That's excellent. I'll check them out and consider these as contenders. Thanks, man

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, JRTG said:

Like a 5th gen i5 or somewhere around there?

just so you know 5th gen intel except a few of them were mobile  

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JRTG said:

Like a 5th gen i5 or somewhere around there?

5th Gen Desktop processors are extremely rare except in mobile

AMD Ryzen 3 3200G / Sapphire R9 290X / 16gb (2x8) Kingston ValueRam @ 2666Mhz / Gigabyte A320M-S2H / Kingston A400 120GB M.2 SSD / WD Blue 2.5" 1TB HDD / Cooler Master MWE450 / Aerocool CS-100 / LG 22MK400H-B 1920x1080 @ 75Hz

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×