How do pc gamers seamlessly switch headsets while still playing their game ?

StonerNixon

Like I must be fuckin stupid or something . I know that what I’m asking , has probably never happened to anyone before . But if I start a game and my headsets not plugged in , and I plug it in after I open the game . The sound just comes through my surround sound not headset . If I have the headset plugged in before I open the game I’m fine . If my headset unplugs in the middle of a game , and I plug it back in . Nothing . On apex people can’t even hear me when I’m talking , but my stream is picking up me and my voice .. I 100% don’t believe this is a real problem . It’s as fake as corna 😂 ps4 and Xbox ,one wireless headset dies and you just swap and keep going ... on pc , how do it do that ? Because I’m getting no such luck. And it’s becoming a real piss off when my cat decides to knock my headset out while I’m playing a game, and then have to restart the game in order to get my headset to work again . Fallout76 , the microphone aspect of it works , but no game sound . Apex , there’s sometime game sound and other teammates mic’s , but not mine . And the onlllllyyy way I’ve found of getting to just work again , without having to unplug and replug things in , the only way , was restarting the game . And I know that’s not what PC gamers do . It’s annoying as fuck for 1 and 2 pc gamers like red blue and green light you guys are eccentric and over the top . So if there’s something someone dosnt like , you guys have a solution always . So I know these problems I’m dealing with are bullshit and fake lol so how do I fix it ? 

In the notification area of Windows, left click the speaker icon to pull up volume control. You'll see a device name above the volume control, and an arrow. You can click the arrow to see all your audio devices, and choose the one you want to send sound to.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

some apps/games actually lock onto the device that is active on windows it when it starts running, but change to another active device when previous active device is unplugged, and not switch back when you plug it in

maybe you have to change it in game after plugging it in, if it's already running

or disable other output/input in windows, so it doesnt pick them up

had this issue with discord

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, StonerNixon said:

-snip-

Probably you need to install the audio drivers for your motherboard. Realtek, for example, has software that detects when you plug in front panel audio vs back panel and pops up a window that asks you what kind of thing you just plugged in. In my case, I have my speakers plugged in the back constantly, but if I plug my headphones in the front a popup appears and I tell it 'headphones', then my speakers stop playing audio. The games, except for really badly programmed ones or ones where i manually set 'use this audio device', rather than 'default device', also automatically switch their audio over to my headphones. The game has to have it coded correctly; but overall, the process of determining where the sound comes out is the operating systems' job, and that is why it's seamless. But that seamless job cant work without the drivers needed to let the OS understand what the motherboard is capable of.

Ouhkay I think the problem is that it is picking up other things when the headset gets unplugged. I play with ps4 controller and everytime the controller vibrates like it’s the sound device . And in Windows it’s set to my headset , and in the games I’m using and examples , apex just used default windows , and fallout it dosnt say anything in the audio options , just push to talk or not . So not very helpful . I’m going to try disabling the controller as an audio device and then the only other is the tv , so I’m going to try that program you mentioned , and if my headset gets unplugged , then I will just hotkey and swap . If none of this actually helps I will let you guys know . Thank you . And I’m very glad everyone got a laugh out of my stupid ass troubles xD I’m not laughing so much