Why do people use low dpi and high sens?

The Torrent

Surely, increasing dpi to 16k or something very high increases the mouse's sensitivity towards smaller movements, then if you just decrease in game sens it allows for more percise movement?

So why do people always play at like 400 dpi? 

(For reference i play at 1.8k dpi at 1440p which saves me having to change sens every time i exit the game for windows, and then change sens in game to how i like it. I've recently moved down from 3k dpi over the course of lockdown and wont be going any lower.)

Low DPI with higher sens is better. Because most mice have a low native dpi at like 400-800, and the advertised dpis like 4600 etc are just the scaled dpis. If you are playing higher dpi, ensure it's a multiple of your native dpi. So if native is 400, but you wanna go higher you should go 800, 1600, 3200 etc.

here is a good reddit thread: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/2yosqh/high_dpi_low_sensitivity_vs_low_dpi_high/

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz OC 4.7GHz 8-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B365M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL20 Memory 
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Western Digital RE2 400 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 640 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 3 GB SC GAMING Video Card 
Power Supply: Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit 
Monitor: Dell ST2410 24.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor 
Monitor: NEC LCD1960NXi 19.0" 1280x1024 60 Hz Monitor 
Keyboard: Alienware AW768 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard 
Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - White Shadow Wired Optical Mouse 
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 PRO  Headphones 

1 minute ago, Perrytheplatypus43 said:

Low DPI with higher sens is better. Because most mice have a low native dpi at like 400-800, and the advertised dpis like 4600 etc are just the scaled dpis. If you are playing higher dpi, ensure it's a multiple of your native dpi. So if native is 400, but you wanna go higher you should go 800, 1600, 3200 etc.

here is a good reddit thread: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/2yosqh/high_dpi_low_sensitivity_vs_low_dpi_high/

is this still a massive thing then? so whats the point of advertising mice dpi at all if they are just upscaled? Is this a present time issue basically.

How do you tell if a mouse has naitive 16k or upscaled? Surely if you have a super expensive mouse with high native dpi then hence it is better to have a higher dpi and lower sens, but then how does one tell if this is the case?

2 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

so whats the point of advertising mice dpi at all if they are just upscaled?

Obviously because marketing always wants to trick you into buying their product by making you think it's better, and bigger numbers always makes it appear as such.

Just like cameras used to be sold with "200x digital zoom!!" but all you got at 200x was a useless blob of garbled pixels.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

is this still a massive thing then? so whats the point of advertising mice dpi at all if they are just upscaled? Is this a present time issue basically.

How do you tell if a mouse has naitive 16k or upscaled? Surely if you have a super expensive mouse with high native dpi then hence it is better to have a higher dpi and lower sens, but then how does one tell if this is the case?

It is not about running at low dpi it is about running it at its native dpi wich happens to be "low" compared to the advertised upscaled dpi.

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Obviously because marketing always wants to trick you into buying their product by making you think it's better, and bigger numbers always makes it appear as such.

Just like cameras used to be sold with "200x digital zoom!!" but all you got at 200x was a useless blob of garbled pixels.

2 minutes ago, Perrytheplatypus43 said:

It is not about running at low dpi it is about running it at its native dpi wich happens to be "low" compared to the advertised upscaled dpi.

so whats the number i should be looking for on a mouse's spec sheet which is the naitive dpi?

According to google searches, sensors like S3989 can do naitive dpi in 50 steps up to 2k where they have issues? ive seen numberous posts about naitive dpi being a thing of the past, is this true and all esports gamers are stuck in a mindset of the past?

Just now, The Torrent said:

so whats the number i should be looking for on a mouse's spec sheet which is the naitive dpi?

They will almost never say what the native dpi is in the spec sheet but one thing you should do is research each mouse and find what people that own the mouse found the native dpi to be.

Very low DPI and high in-game sensitivity could sometimes produce pixel skipping, which is exactly what you don't want especially in games where accuracy is key.

3kliksphilip made a video on this subject a while back, and also demonstrated pixel skipping happening:

I personally used to play at ~400 DPI iirc in games like CS:GO for some reason, and then I would switch back to 1000 DPI in other games or just on the desktop. Now I just have my DPI set at 1000 all the time, and lowered my in-game sensitivity multiplier to match my old speed/sensitivity. 400 DPI didn't cause any skipping for me, with both an original Steelseries Rival and a Rival 600, but that might not be the case for every mouse out there, I mostly made this change because I couldn't be bothered to keep pressing the DPI button on my mouse every time I'd switch in and out of CS:GO.

13 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

so whats the point of advertising mice dpi at all if they are just upscaled?

Marketing. I don't want to make generalisations or assumptions, but I think it's safe to say that lots of people just looking around for gaming mice assume that the higher the number on the box, the better, without actually looking into things. I'm not talking about you or me or other people on the forum, but rather people that just don't care about any nitty-gritty details and just want to frag kids in Fortnite.

@Kilrah basically put it perfectly, it's the same thing with inflated advertised digital zoom numbers on cameras.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

The "upscaled DPI is like digital zoom" comparison isn't quite right. Upscaled DPI interpolates between steps of the sensor, it doesn't just double or triple the original signal and call it a day like digital zoom chops off pixels. It's like upscaling an image in an image editor, it's not perfect, but it's not going to be awful until you really start cranking it up.

Suffice to say so long as you can move single pixels on your desktop it's completely irrelevant what DPI you prefer, you won't skip pixels with a reasonable ingame sensitivity.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11