Latest WAN show (Flowplane question)

Does this mean I won't be able to use the app on apple tablets too? 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

My understanding is that you can't use the iOS/iPadOS app to buy a subscription, due to the way the Apple app store works. Or rather due to Apple's policies regarding in-app-purchases having to go through them, and wanting a 30% cut from said subscription.

The app itself should still let you watch their content.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

4 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

My understanding is that you can't use the iOS/iPadOS app to buy a subscription, due to the way the Apple app store works. Or rather due to Apple's policies regarding in-app-purchases having to go through them, and wanting a 30% cut from said subscription.

The app itself should still let you watch their content.

So I'll still need an android phone or tablet to pay subscription... 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

Just now, StrawberryShortCakes said:

So I'll still need an android phone or tablet to pay subscription... 

Are you saying it's not possible online using a browser? That should work on iOS, they just can't add it into the app itself or link you to their website where you can do it.

i don't understand why ppl would still buy apple devices considering how anti consumer they are 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

39 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

i don't understand why ppl would still buy apple devices considering how anti consumer they are 

Yes, Apple should obviously develop and host a content delivery platform and vet each app revision for malware for free! 

Oh wait, they already will do that if your app is actually free of charge. The problem here is that LTT wants to double dip.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

23 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Yes, Apple should obviously develop and host a content delivery platform and vet each app revision for malware for free! 

Oh wait, they already will do that if your app is actually free of charge. The problem here is that LTT wants to double dip.

How are they "double dipping" if they want to provide an iOS version where you can mange your subscription? Double dipping would be them charging monthly for the iOS version AND making you sign up via the floatplane site, which is not what they are doing.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

17 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

You do realize that developers have to pay a yearly fee to be able to develop for the app store? Even when the app is free and they don't earn any money with the app directly. I realize $99 isn't much in terms of paying for reviewers (much of that process is automated) but I'm sure Apple did the math.

17 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Not sure what you mean by double dip in this context? As Luke mentioned in the show, the 30% cut Apple wants for in-app subscriptions would mean it is no longer profitable for Floatplane/LTT. So either the lose money or they make them more expensive, which I'm sure people would love.

The issue is that Apple does not allow them to advertise their own subscription service in any way, shape or form. So the app is a pure content delivery platform, but everything else has to happen outside the app and they can't link to anything making that a bit inconvenient.

8 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

or they make them more expensive,

Except, that's not allowed, either, as Luke said later in the video (i think someone in chat mentioned adding the "Apple tax" to iOS version).

What it sounds like, to my low understanding, is that the iOS version will be gutted to be nothing more than a library/portal for content you already have access to, to meet Apple's demands/requirements. Basically, it will be the equivalent of a desktop shortcut to the website, but not the actual website? I am thoroughly confused on this...

11 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Not sure what you mean by double dip in this context?

I'm with you on this...

39 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

The problem here is that LTT wants to double dip.

Can you elaborate on this? I am failing to see how any definition I know of 'double dip' applies to this.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

How are they "double dipping" if they want to provide an iOS version where you can mange your subscription? Double dipping would be them charging monthly for the iOS version AND making you sign up via the floatplane site, which is not what they are doing.

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

You do realize that developers have to pay a yearly fee to be able to develop for the app store? Even when the app is free and they don't earn any money with the app directly. I realize $99 isn't much in terms of paying for reviewers (much of that process is automated) but I'm sure Apple did the math.

Not sure what you mean by double dip in this context? As Luke mentioned in the show, the 30% cut Apple wants for in-app subscriptions would mean it is no longer profitable for Floatplane/LTT. So either the lose money or they make them more expensive, which I'm sure people would love.

The issue is that Apple does not allow them to advertise their own subscription service in any way, shape or form. So the app is a pure content delivery platform, but everything else has to happen outside the app and they can't link to anything making that a bit inconvenient.

52 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

Except, that's not allowed, either, as Luke said later in the video (i think someone in chat mentioned adding the "Apple tax" to iOS version).

What it sounds like, to my low understanding, is that the iOS version will be gutted to be nothing more than a library/portal for content you already have access to, to meet Apple's demands/requirements. Basically, it will be the equivalent of a desktop shortcut to the website, but not the actual website? I am thoroughly confused on this...

I'm with you on this...

Can you elaborate on this? I am failing to see how any definition I know of 'double dip' applies to this.

Apple is happy to eat the costs of delivery, publishing, vetting and so on if it’s a free app. If it’s a paid app or subscription, they want a cut in exchange for their services.

You can’t have the best of both worlds. Whining about Apple not wanting to subsidize their business expenses is pretty absurd.

4 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Apple is happy to eat the costs of delivery, publishing, vetting and so on if it’s a free app. If it’s a paid app or subscription...

So Twitch, YouTube, Patreon, etc., are also paying that 30 per subscription to Apple for anyone using the iOS version of their respective apps?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

41 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

So Twitch, YouTube, Patreon, etc., are also paying that 30 per subscription to Apple for anyone using the iOS version of their respective apps?

Yes. Subscriptions are 30% for the first year, 15% after that. Netflix, Spotify, Amazon and everyone else has to pay it. Stuff like YouTube and Twitch ads are at a different rate I think.

5 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Ease of use, my iPhone has been nothing but great to me, I know android has more options, but I don’t have much time to fuck with it, I just need it to work. Paired with my Apple Watch it makes a lot of things easier but comes at a premium too.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

7 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

We don't, the devices are provided by my dad's company every year.

I get the pass down devices, 

3 hours ago, The1Dickens said:

Yes they do, but don't forget the apps you mentioned earn plenty more then flpwplane and are sponsored by other companies. 

18 hours ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Does this mean I won't be able to use the app on apple tablets too? 

No, you can use the app, but the feature it will have will be less compare to the browser version and Android app because Floatplane have to meet Apple's standard and policies. So, if you want the full feature Floatplane experience as an Apple user, you have to use the browser version basically.

6 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

in the WAN show, both luke and linus made the case that they're shadowing existing apps like youtube and twitch, and yet apple is finding faults on the floatplane app

apple's a bully to small time devs, to put it lightly

YouTube and Twitch both pay the percentage fees, they’re not molding it after them at all.

11 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

Apple is happy to eat the costs of delivery, publishing, vetting and so on if it’s a free app. If it’s a paid app or subscription, they want a cut in exchange for their services.

You can’t have the best of both worlds. Whining about Apple not wanting to subsidize their business expenses is pretty absurd.

I agree that Apple deserves to make some money out of it. They do provide the platform. However I don't think asking for a 30% cut of a subscription they have pretty much nothing to do with (other than payment processing) is fair. I'd say it would be fair for them to ask for transaction fees, like every other payment processor on the market is doing, but almost a third of your income seems excessive.

Thanks to the 30% fee you end up with a situation where a lot of developers instead try to circumvent Apple altogether instead of properly integrating with the platform. So Apple customers are left with a worse experience and Apple ends up getting nothing.

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

… but faulting the floatplane app for comments? is that tied to not paying the micropayment fee?

User generated content means your app typically gets rated as 17+ on Apple's platform. I'm sure that doesn't make sense for Floatplane, which—I assume—is the reason they're rather leaving that functionality disabled. For example see the Firefox and Brave browsers, which have a 17+ rating for that very reason: You can see (potentially adult) content Apple has no control over.

10 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Ease of use

i mean if you have to go deep just to change wifi connections. i hardly think that's ease of use. i can't remember few features but you like HAVE to go to within settings apps to change essential features which just as could be done with a notification toggle on android, not saying iphone isn't great, but Ease of use is far from it lol 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

39 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

i mean if you have to go deep just to change wifi connections. i hardly think that's ease of use. i can't remember few features but you like HAVE to go to within settings apps to change essential features which just as could be done with a notification toggle on android, not saying iphone isn't great, but Ease of use is far from it lol 

takes me a total of two seconds and two clicks to get two wifi not even scrolling. this isnt deep in settings

AMD blackout rig

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

fair, although i don't think that was mentioned by luke or linus (probably haven't considered, just judging by how mildly defeatist they've been while waiting on apple's app quality team to say whatever they want)

The policies aren't punitive, they aren't personal.  They're designed for the most part to keep legal hassles out of Apple's hair for stuff they have no control over.

Like the coment feature...it doesn't matter IF twich or youtube do a good job of filtering the comments...it's that they have a for sure, and pointable to system in place for it, so if little Timmy reads something and is scarred for life, Apple can point the lawsuit elsewhere.

Apple won't let floatplane advertise to out of app stuff? Because, while Floatplane is run by nice canadian boys who won't hurt anyone, there are app developers that would want to point and link to sites that will steal info or load malware or show little Timmy naughty stuff.

While I appreciate the frustration on their part of the constant back and forth, if the attitude they..especially luke, showed in this in talking about it, I don't doubt they're running into problems. I'd almost say there was an arogance of "we know better than the trillion dollar company"....and for the Apple people doing the validations, are they going to spend their time with someone throwing attitude at them or the 100's of other developers they have in line to work with?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

17 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Floatplane isn't a consumer.

In this transaction, they're just another developer wanting to publish an app that they say needs to violate a bunch of rules for the "user experience".....just like 1000 other developers, half of whom are trying to put some kind of scam software into the app store.

As fans or followers of these guys, we may see things different, but that's bubble think.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

5 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

takes me a total of two seconds and two clicks to get two wifi not even scrolling. this isnt deep in settings

don't kid yourself, there are definitely things on Ios that you need to go deep into settings that's so trivial and stupid that can be turned on and off on on android via a notification toggle. like i said there;s nothing wrong with iphone, but please don't make an argument about its ease of use lol 

ah also time coded, i can't that one video MKBHD did about few Ios settings that were stupidly hidden in settings 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

2 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

like i said there;s nothing wrong with iphone, but please don't make an argument about its ease of use lol 

All my phones previous to my iPhone were android and I can 100% say it’s easier to use than android. The amount of issues I’ve had for no reason, and spent hours of my time trying to fix were definetly not worth it. iPhone has been easier to use than anythingy I’ve owned previously. You have to use both for an extended period of time before you understand.

AMD blackout rig