Laptop Dangers of using 11.1 V battery instead of 14.8 V battery

Hello, 

I bought a New battery and the ratings are as follows 
11.1V ,  5.2Ah and 58Wh

But the ratings of the original Battery that i received while buying my laptop were as follows
14.8V , 2.7Ah and 40Wh

Should i use this highly rated new battery in my laptop? I've read in a lot of forums where the answers are mixed . 

Some suggestions tell me that it is perfectly safe to use this battery with different ratings

Where as others suggest that this might be harmful for my Laptop and My Laptop/Battery might heat up resulting in some sort of damage.

Also is there some software i can install to supervise the behaviour of the battery to know if it is safe to use this battery?

Would really appreciate some advice regarding this matter. 

My Laptop is Dell Inspiron 14 , 3442

No you can't use this battery, why would you buy something that doesn't match the specifications of the original?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

DO NOT DO THAT

The 11.1V has only 3 cells and 14.4V has 4 cells. If the BMS is in the laptop and not the battery you will probably kill both the battery and laptop. Luckily most batteries have the BMS inside them preventing mistakes like that from happening. If you do put it in, it might get overcharged unlesss the BMS kicks in

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

3 minutes ago, Sameen Wasif said:

-SNIP-

Welcome to the forums!

That won't work since the device is expecting 14.8V being lower it most likely won't even turn on thinking that the battery is damaged or extremely low. 

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

No you can't use this battery, why would you buy something that doesn't match the specifications of the original?

The battery i bought matched the specifications of my Laptop Battery exactly. But the seller actually sent me a battery with different ratings. I called the seller and he told me that this was a 6 cell battery and would be okay to use in my laptop and wouldn't cause any harm. But i wasn't fully convinced and hence i posted my question

1 minute ago, Sameen Wasif said:

The battery i bought matched the specifications of my Laptop Battery exactly. But the seller actually sent me a battery with different ratings. I called the seller and he told me that this was a 6 cell battery and would be okay to use in my laptop and wouldn't cause any harm. But i wasn't fully convinced and hence i posted my question

Good thing you asked, that seller lied. Get a refund immediately and order the proper battery.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Welcome to the forums!

That won't work since the device is expecting 14.8V being lower it most likely won't even turn on thinking that the battery is damaged or extremely low. 

Hey thanks. 

I bought the battery online with my exact required spefications. But the seller sent me this different rated one . I still haven't used the battery since i saw the ratings didn't match. But the seller kept on saying that the battery would be perfectly fine for my laptop and wouldn't do any harm at all and would provide me more back up.

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Good thing you asked, that seller lied. Get a refund immediately and order the proper battery.

Thanks a lot. I still haven't used the battery yet. I will call and ask for the exact product / refund if he can't provide me with the actual rated battery.

Hey thanks. 

I bought the battery online with my exact required spefications. But the seller sent me this different rated one . I still haven't used the battery since i saw the ratings didn't match. But the seller kept on saying that the battery would be perfectly fine for my laptop and wouldn't do any harm at all and would provide me more back up.

At best it won't work.

At worst it'll destroy the laptop

Return the battery and report the seller for fraud.

3 minutes ago, Sameen Wasif said:

It does seem like a 6 cell battery, but in a 3s2p configuration. Your laptop needs a 4s configuration as per the voltage on the older battery.

If you try to plug it into the laptop, worst case scenario the laptop just won't turn on believing that it doesn't have enough juice. The actual problem will be if you try to charge it, as it might overcharge as other people already mentioned.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Thanks a lot. I still haven't used the battery yet. I will call and ask for the exact product / refund if he can't provide me with the actual rated battery.

Do that and contact the laptop OEM to buy an original battery. An unbalanced battery (where the cells are not perfectly balanced) can quickly catch fire and even explode. Always be very careful when buying used batteries as they can quite literally kill you

11 minutes ago, Anonymous015 said:

DO NOT DO THAT

The 11.1V has only 3 cells and 14.4V has 4 cells. If the BMS is in the laptop and not the battery you will probably kill both the battery and laptop. Luckily most batteries have the BMS inside them preventing mistakes like that from happening. If you do put it in, it might get overcharged unlesss the BMS kicks in

Hey thanks i didn't know this. Will tell the seller to refund or change my battery ASAP.

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Do that and contact the laptop OEM to buy an original battery. An unbalanced battery (where the cells are not perfectly balanced) can quickly catch fire and even explode. Always be very careful when buying used batteries as they can quite literally kill you

The battery is actually an Original Dell Battery . But the ratings don't match, i have to tell him to send me the Original Dell battery with the accurate Ratings.

The battery is actually an Original Dell Battery . But the ratings don't match, i have to tell him to send me the Original Dell battery with the accurate Ratings.

I seriously doubt anyone dealing original batteries is going to tell you to overload them and start a house fire.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

I seriously doubt anyone dealing original batteries is going to tell you to overload them and start a house fire.

True though. The sellers explanations were very confusing. Now i understand why.

11 minutes ago, Sameen Wasif said:

Hey thanks. 

Because it's a lower voltage in theory it shouldn't harm it but being that it's lower you may not be running within it's specs and encounter power reliability issues if the unit even turns on. Being a 3V different that is most likely going to be out of that range and some laptops these days will actually verify the correct batter is install and won't boot if you use non-compatible ones.