i have a optiplex 990 MT and i would like to keep the psu what ghraphics card should i get?

12 minutes ago, A_Folding_Dell_Optiplex990 said:

i need help deciding what to put in my optiplex 990MT

Are you keeping the psu that is already in it if so your pfp would match the optiplex

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

like a 1650ti or so, probably want to replace the psu too

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

1 minute ago, A_Folding_Dell_Optiplex990 said:

yes

I meant psu crap

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

optiplex 990MT

How many watts does the power supply push, and does it have a 6 pin or 8 pin GPU power connector?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

How many watts does the power supply push, and does it have a 6 pin or 8 pin GPU power connector?

i think its rated for 216 watts and im going to use a sata to 6 pin if i can

1 minute ago, A_Folding_Dell_Optiplex990 said:

i think its rated for 216 watts and im going to use a sata to 6 pin if i can

You aren’t going anywhere with thqt don’t use adapters unless it’s not a good gpu and isn’t that low wattage

Reminder⚠️

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

You aren’t going anywhere with thqt don’t use adapters unless it’s not a good gpu and isn’t that low wattage

i do plan on sticking with a relatively low power card 

4 minutes ago, A_Folding_Dell_Optiplex990 said:

i do plan on sticking with a relatively low power card 

Well that has to be really low what is the specs of the optiplex?

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Kanna said:

Well that has to be really low what is the specs of the optiplex?

core i5 2400 8gb ddr3 + 500gb seagate barracuda 7200rpm

you'll be limited to a GPU that relies on PCI-E's direct power.

the options are... limited.

as I believe mentioned before. 1650 is about it.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

1 minute ago, Sprawlie said:

you'll be limited to a GPU that relies on PCI-E's direct power.

the options are... limited.

as I believe mentioned before. 1650 is about it.

yeah but i could possible use a sata to 6 pin power adapter even if its a little over 75 watts 

I would wholeheartedly recommend against that course of action.

these cheap PSU's are barely rated for much. they're also insanely inefficient. while it might be labelled for 212w, it's more likely still far less than that which it can handle under sustained load of a gaming computer.

these computers are specced to sit in an office 99.99% idle most of the time. but insanely cheap and easy to replace.

PSU's are usually cheap. And Cheap over-taxed PSU's fail spectacularly. Including destroying other parts in the computer.

Buy a new PSU. it doesn't have to be something amazing. a simple 80 white 400w will give you a big piece of mind if you want this thing to actually last as gaming.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

1 minute ago, Sprawlie said:

I would wholeheartedly recommend against that course of action.

these cheap PSU's are barely rated for much. they're also insanely inefficient. while it might be labelled for 212w, it's more likely still far less than that which it can handle under sustained load of a gaming computer.

these computers are specced to sit in an office 99.99% idle most of the time. but insanely cheap and easy to replace.

PSU's are usually cheap. And Cheap over-taxed PSU's fail spectacularly. Including destroying other parts in the computer.

Buy a new PSU. it doesn't have to be something amazing. a simple 80 white 400w will give you a big piece of mind if you want this thing to actually last as gaming.

well if you can could you point me in the direction for a psu that would be nice

https://www.newegg.ca/thermaltake-smart-series-ps-spd-0430npcwus-w-430w/p/N82E16817153368?Item=N82E16817153368

something like this is simple enough.

(links to Canadian prices)

https://www.newegg.ca/p/pl?N=100007656 4026 4025 600014006 600014002 600037997 600037998 600038000&Order=1

some other sorted options that include anything rated (read reviews and use your own judgement if reputable. 

i see that i may have to replace the psu so what should i put in there? or my psu u might go

200.gif

If you're trying to keep it cheap, a 430W or 500W from a reputable manufacturer like EVGA, Thermaltake, or Corsair.  Should be around $50.

EVGA drops B Stock every Wednesday and often has their 500W for $30 if you reeeeally need a good deal.