Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CPU worked a few pins were bent.

Hello,

So, I bought a ryzen cpu (am4) a while back. I was doing maintenance, i removed the cpu and noticed there was a few bent pins, anyways i tried installing it, and it worked. though im kinda paranoid that it may ruin my motherboard or other stuff, should i be concerned ? or not ?

Some pins are just ground pins and aren't critical if they were bent. If the cpu works just fine and there's no problems  then it should be ok. 

Wārudobītā

CPU: Ryzen 3 3100. Board: B550m TUF plus. Memory: 16 (2x8) 3200 cl16 Hyper x Fury RGB. GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 1650 super.  Boot Drive: MX500. Case: Antec NX500 (Quite crappy. :p) PSU: CX450. 

Hehe, Meshify c is a kewl case. 

if you straightened them before inserting in socket, when you pressed that lever to lock the cpu, the mechanism straightened the pins for you even more. 

Some pins have the same purpose as other pins ... for example voltage and ground wires, cpus work with very low voltages but high currents, for example 1.3v and 60A = 80 watts ... a single pair of pins would behave like a fuse and more or less melt. So they use multiple pairs, and one pin broken will more or less not make a difference. 

However, some pins are part of the memory controller ... if one is broken then maybe half the memory slots won't work or you'll get errors reading and writing in those memory slots.. 

And so on and so forth... memory and power are majority of pins.. then you have pci-e lanes, usb 3 and sata from cpu in a smaller number.

Must not have been bent too badly if you where able to install the cpu. Most of the time you have to straighten the pins to install the cpu.

Glad it worked!!

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! 

- Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below.

Spoiler