Building Pc Case Advice (Tempered Glass)

Eltomo

G'day,

I'm new to this forum so hello to everyone!

However something I've always wanted to do but never had the chance is to make my own case, I'm experienced with working with metal and am intending to make the case out of exotic materials, either gold embedding/engraving, using my own stainless damascus steel, I'm still not exactly sure what kind of materials I want to use yet (They are just some ideas, so if you guys have any suggestions I'd love to hear them, I also have some experience working with carbon fiber and stabilising wood) I intend to make it small form factor as I'm not a massive fan of any of the sff cases available at the moment and I intend to glass tube water cool it as well.

My one issue that I've come across at the moment is trying to find a supplier for the tempered glass. I'm based in Australia so local would be preferable, anyone know a supplier/manufacturer who can do tempered glass for a single computer case?

Looking forward to hearing any input :)

Stay safe with Corona and everything.

Eltomo

27 minutes ago, Eltomo said:

G'day,

I'm new to this forum so hello to everyone!

However something I've always wanted to do but never had the chance is to make my own case, I'm experienced with working with metal and am intending to make the case out of exotic materials, either gold embedding/engraving, using my own stainless damascus steel, I'm still not exactly sure what kind of materials I want to use yet (They are just some ideas, so if you guys have any suggestions I'd love to hear them, I also have some experience working with carbon fiber and stabilising wood) I intend to make it small form factor as I'm not a massive fan of any of the sff cases available at the moment and I intend to glass tube water cool it as well.

My one issue that I've come across at the moment is trying to find a supplier for the tempered glass. I'm based in Australia so local would be preferable, anyone know a supplier/manufacturer who can do tempered glass for a single computer case?

Looking forward to hearing any input :)

Stay safe with Corona and everything.

Eltomo

Can't you just ask any company/business that makes glass for buildings? Surely there would be one in your town or at least the next town over.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Is just any glass going to be up to the same standard as the smokey tempered glass used in stock pc cases? If you get what I mean? I'm having some troubles explaining it :)

I wouldn't really want to invest the time and the resources into this case if the glass panel isn't going to be right.

Would there be any differences between the glass panel used in mainstream gaming pc cases as opposed to if I just asked a business to make a panel?

21 minutes ago, Eltomo said:

Is just any glass going to be up to the same standard as the smokey tempered glass used in stock pc cases? If you get what I mean? I'm having some troubles explaining it :)

I wouldn't really want to invest the time and the resources into this case if the glass panel isn't going to be right.

Would there be any differences between the glass panel used in mainstream gaming pc cases as opposed to if I just asked a business to make a panel?

That's up to you on what type of glass you want to use. Case manufacturers use tempered glass because it's more forgiving to accidental damage and most importantly safer in case it breaks.

Ask what types of glass that business can make or get, I doubt they would just make one type of glass.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

On 8/5/2020 at 10:50 AM, Eltomo said:

If glass is stained or not doesn't have anything to do with the type of glass. Tempered glass is a bit more robust and shatters in a different way then normal glass. 

If you give the business the right informations on what you want, they should in theory give you the right glass. And maybe the business should also be able to give you some advice.

I just happened to google it and see the companies that it brought up. 

Very good layouts for sizing a piece for just small orders, like in my case 2 pieces to add as side panels. 

Im sure there has to be a company within the country that can do so. Id me more concerned about the method of attaching it to said case.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz