Silverstone Strider 1500w clicking, no start

FivePointOh

I bought a used SST-ST1500 PSU from some idiot on kijiji for $100 (so I should have known something was wrong), and when I got it home, I plugged it into my board and it's just making a constant clicking sound, and the red LED on the back is flashing but it's going so fast you can barely see it light up.

Nothing has helped. I've tried unplugging everything and just trying to plug in the PSU, but I get the same result. When I unplug the PSU from the wall, the clicking slows down over a couple minutes until it stops. 

Does this sound like a voltage regulator or relay? Does anyone know if this can be repaired, or is it just trash? I'd prefer to use it if possible. It looks like it was hardly ever used, if at all. 

Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470

Ryzen 1800X - 4.2ghz @ 1.435v

Deepcool Gamerstorm Castle 360 RGB AIO

Corsair HX1000w

Thermaltake View 71 case

Corsair M65 Elite mouse

Redragon K551-RGB keyboard

RGB out the wazoo = good for at least 420fps in Crysis

36 minutes ago, FivePointOh said:

I bought a used SST-ST1500 PSU from some idiot on kijiji for $100 (so I should have known something was wrong), and when I got it home, I plugged it into my board and it's just making a constant clicking sound, and the red LED on the back is flashing but it's going so fast you can barely see it light up.

Nothing has helped. I've tried unplugging everything and just trying to plug in the PSU, but I get the same result. When I unplug the PSU from the wall, the clicking slows down over a couple minutes until it stops. 

Does this sound like a voltage regulator or relay? Does anyone know if this can be repaired, or is it just trash? I'd prefer to use it if possible. It looks like it was hardly ever used, if at all. 

You want to try to open a PSU and repair it?  Conventional wisdom says that can be highly dangerous.  The problem is there are big capacitors one there which can still contain power.  Not something I would try. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, FivePointOh said:

Everything can be fixed and since you're such a pro that even from just a look from outside you can tell that it wasnt used much, if will be a like a walk in the park. I've heard on this forum that most modern psu's discharge themselves, so there should be no risk in doing it yourself, if that person said the truth.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

7 minutes ago, Ralf said:

Everything can be fixed and since you're such a pro that even from just a look from outside you can tell that it wasnt used much, if will be a like a walk in the park. I've heard on this forum that most modern psu's discharge themselves, so there should be no risk in doing it yourself, if that person said the truth.

Capacitors do lose charge over time whether they’re old designs or new designs.  Time is relative though.  It would likely eventually be safe.  I don’t know how long eventually is though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 hours ago, FivePointOh said:

Are you using the cables that came with it?

And/or are the cables that came with it actual Silverstone cables?