Help me make noise so Nvidia enable GSYNC with GTX 10 Series on LG OLED

El Tello

As the title.... Nvidia has placed an artificial lock so the only cards that support GSYNC with the beautiful LG OLED's of 2019 / 2020 are the RTX and 16 Series.

As a proud owner of a 1080ti, i have absolutely no reason to upgrade to the current RTX lineup, however, i might upgrade to the ampere series by the end of the year tho.

It's just plain stupid that NVIDIA blocks this feature, it's a slap to the face to their fans and users. I paid full price for the flagship and now i'm out in the cold?

The only way NVIDIA will remove this idiotic block is with sufficient noise. I know i'm in the minority using an LG OLED but if heavyweights like Linus and their team can help us make some noise, Nvidia might hear and act.

Oh and please avoid replies like "just buy an RTX and deal with it" We're currently under the effects of a Global Pandemic, as a husband and father of 2 toddlers i cannot make such a buy, not right now.

That's all, thanks for reading.

got my pots and pans ready, lets do this

why would LTT do this? what's in it for them?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just sanity check (pls don't kill the messanger) : Have run this ?
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

2 hours ago, El Tello said:

Nvidia has placed an artificial lock so the only cards that support GSYNC with the beautiful LG OLED's of 2019 / 2020 are the RTX and 16 Series

Are you talking about G-Sync compatible for monitors that support the Freesync standard? That was made available to all cards 10 series and above and based on the way the LG specs read I would expect it to work.

How is it locking you out? Just genuinely curious, not saying you aren't having an issue.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

2 hours ago, agent_x007 said:

Just sanity check (pls don't kill the messanger) : Have run this ?
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

No buddy, no need to update Frimware. This is topic about GSYNC via HDMI with the latest LG OLED TV's, but thanx for the reply.

19 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Are you talking about G-Sync compatible for monitors that support the Freesync standard? That was made available to all cards 10 series and above and based on the way the LG specs read I would expect it to work.

How is it locking you out? Just genuinely curious, not saying you aren't having an issue.

No, no RAS. Im talking about G-SYNC via HDMI specifically with the new LG OLED TV's. 2019 and 2020 OLED models support G-SYNC but NVIDIA is locking the 10 series to get this support. I cannot enable G-SYNC because of this IDIOTIC lock.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-compatible-2019-lg-tv-available-now/

They are artificially blocking a very important feature so we run out to buy the new card. Thats why im trying to reach of out for the big fishes, people like Linus and their team have the exposure to call out this kind of anti-consumer practices and hopefully they can lift the block. My 1080ti is more than capable to fully utilize my OLED, they just want more money for it.

35 minutes ago, El Tello said:

No, no RAS. Im talking about G-SYNC via HDMI specifically with the new LG OLED TV's. 2019 and 2020 OLED models support G-SYNC but NVIDIA is locking the 10 series to get this support. I cannot enable G-SYNC because of this IDIOTIC lock.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-compatible-2019-lg-tv-available-now/

They are artificially blocking a very important feature so we run out to buy the new card. Thats why im trying to reach of out for the big fishes, people like Linus and their team have the exposure to call out this kind of anti-consumer practices and hopefully they can lift the block. My 1080ti is more than capable to fully utilize my OLED, they just want more money for it.

You ARE actually talking about G-Sync compatible, NOT "real" G-Sync. Real G-Sync uses a dedicated hardware module in the display to manage the variable refresh rate. G-Sync compatible mode was added to Nvidia drivers to allow variable refresh rate support on displays without the dedicated hardware module. This made many monitors with Freesync variable refresh rate (VRR) tech capable of working with Nvidia 10xx series and up cards. LG OLED TVs have Freesync support, NOT a dedicated hardware module for VRR.

Reference: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/

BUT, I think it was required to be connected over Displayport to work. I wonder it the HDMI implementation for LG TVs is why it limited to the newer RTX and 16xx series cards. Nvidia does some odd things for sure, but I see no reason to specifically block LG TVs from G-Sync compatibility on the 10xx series cards while allowing it for any other display. So, I'm betting it's an HDMI vs. DP thing.

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Ohh i see the detail now, yes. G-SYNC COMPATIBLE as the LG OLED does not have the dedicated module.

12 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

I wonder it the HDMI implementation for LG TVs is why it limited to the newer RTX and 16xx series cards. Nvidia does some odd things for sure, but I see no reason to specifically block LG TVs from G-Sync compatibility on the 10xx series cards while allowing it for any other display. So, I'm betting it's an HDMI vs. DP thing.

Of course is NVIDIA being NVIDIA. Look... these TV's don't have DisplayPort, they are all HDMI 2.1 so NVIDIA enabled GSYNC via HDMI but ONLY if you use an RTX or 16 series cards. Those cards use THE SAME HDMI version as my 1080ti, that is HDMI 2.0b

My card: https://www.asus.com/mx/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING/specifications/
RTX that works on OLEDs: https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-RTX2080S-O8G-GAMING/specifications/

They have the exact same port version. Its NVIDIA blocking the feature on purpose.

They can enable GSYNC on my card with the flip of a switch, a line of code im sure. They are just blatantly blocking a feature for more money.

26 minutes ago, El Tello said:

Ohh i see the detail now, yes. G-SYNC COMPATIBLE as the LG OLED does not have the dedicated module.

Of course is NVIDIA being NVIDIA. Look... these TV's don't have DisplayPort, they are all HDMI 2.1 so NVIDIA enabled GSYNC via HDMI but ONLY if you use an RTX or 16 series cards. Those cards use THE SAME HDMI version as mi 1080ti, that is HDMI 2.0b

My card: https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING/specifications/
RTX that works on OLEDs: https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-RTX2080S-O8G-GAMING/specifications/

They have the exact same port version. Its NVIDIA blocking the feature on purpose.

They can enable GSYNC on my card with the flip of a switch, a line of code im sure. They are just blatantly blocking a feature for more money.

Ah, I thought it was an HDMI 2.0 vs. 2.1 thing, but if the new cards are still 2.0 (or 2.0b as it might be) then that falls flat. Besides, looks like 1440p @ 120 Hz or 2160p @ 60 Hz are the modes supported for VRR of HDMI on the LG TVs anyways, so that doesn't even align with it being a bandwidth problem for HDMI 2.0. To do 2160p @ 120 Hz you'd have to be true HDMI 2.1, so even if they were somehow making the newer cards look like HDMI 2.1 via the driver the bandwidth still wouldn't be there.

I'm still not convinced there isn't a technical reason behind this, but given the ports are the same generation of HDMI it seems less likely. I'll keep my pitchfork on standby.

11 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Ah, I thought it was an HDMI 2.0 vs. 2.1 thing, but if the new cards are still 2.0 (or 2.0b as it might be) then that falls flat. Besides, looks like 1440p @ 120 Hz or 2160p @ 60 Hz are the modes supported for VRR of HDMI on the LG TVs anyways, so that doesn't even align with it being a bandwidth problem for HDMI 2.0. To do 2160p @ 120 Hz you'd have to be true HDMI 2.1, so even if they were somehow making the newer cards look like HDMI 2.1 via the driver the bandwidth still wouldn't be there.

I'm still not sold on there being a technical reason behind this, but given the ports are the same generation of HDMI it seems less likely. I'll keep my pitchfork on standby.

It is an HDMI 2.0 vs 2.1 thing, the RTX GPUs got updated to HDMI 2.1 to support the new LG TVs, and VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) is a 2.1 feature and is specific to HDMI, GSYNC Compatible displays only worked with DisplayPort on the GTX 1000 series.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

It seems like the RTX GPUs didn't get the full HDMI 2.1 update but updated their HDMI ports to support 2.1 features but still keeping the 2.0 bandwidth, even if the older GPUs have the 2.0 in the name there are still differences in hardware, for example the support for DSC 1.2 on the new GPUs, I'm assuming that's one of the reasons why the older GPUs didn't get the same support.

Basically shit is complicated af and I don't believe it's artificial

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

• 8 months later...
On 7/30/2020 at 6:00 PM, El Tello said:

Of course is NVIDIA being NVIDIA. Look... these TV's don't have DisplayPort, they are all HDMI 2.1 so NVIDIA enabled GSYNC via HDMI but ONLY if you use an RTX or 16 series cards. Those cards use THE SAME HDMI version as my 1080ti, that is HDMI 2.0b

My card: https://www.asus.com/mx/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING/specifications/

Hey man, I wanna join you in your revolution! Any light on this subject yet? I love my 1080ti and it's not 2014 anymore so we can just go out there and buy a new graphics card... 

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2021 at 4:21 AM, rodela91 said:

I love my 1080ti and it's not 2014 anymore so we can just go out there and buy a new graphics card... 

Well yeah... its not 2014, its worst bro. 

So any idea how force enable GSync on 1080ti with LG Oled?

On 7/31/2020 at 1:39 AM, El Tello said:

It's just plain stupid that NVIDIA blocks this feature, it's a slap to the face to their fans and users.

1ST-TIME.png.70ee408968adb60bc3cdf9ca5d980017.png

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

• 3 months later...

It's hardware limitation guys, nothing they can do about it. Yeah both Pascal and RTX 20 Series are HDMI 2.0b but the HDMI micro controller on the RTX is reconfigurable so they were able to update it to support the LG OLED GSync feature.