How to Share my mobile data with the network?

Rahimi0151

Hi guys!

I'm currently using a conventional ADSL line. but it is slow and kinda expensive for what i get out of it. it's about 1-2聽Mb/s (yes! MegaBITs. not bytes! i can download at a mind blowing speed of 90 Kilobytes a Second 馃槻馃槻 it can't play YouTube beyond 240p) and it is connected to a switch and 1 desktop, 1 laptop, 4 phones are connected to this network. not to mention, my NAS and a personal Linux server for dev work.

i can get a LTE data plan with the same cost, witch provides around 25-50 Mb/s. but there are two major problems. first of all, i will have to buy it for almost every device and it will be 6 times more expensive then. and more importantly, i will lose access to my NAS.

so the Question is:

Is there a way that i can configure a phone or a LTE modem to share the LTE plan with the whole network connected to that switch? If it helps, i have a spare PC with i3 3220 inside.

P.S. i know about WiFi/USB tethering. but i can't use either. because聽i can't use them and my NAS at the same time.

Get an LTE router and a dedicated SIM for it, then you can connect that to the network. Sharing from phone to the wired network will require a dedicated computer, that bridges WiFi and LAN (so the laptop connects to the WiFi hotspot and shares that connection with the Ethernet port), but that will be quite a complicated setup and, from my experience, does not give that great performance.

HAL9000:聽AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32聽GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server:聽Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial聽Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4聽| Gigabyte B560M-DS3H聽|聽33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server:聽Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16聽GB DDR3聽ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro聽| Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster:聽2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

1 hour ago, jj9987 said:

Get an LTE router and a dedicated SIM for it, then you can connect that to the network. Sharing from phone to the wired network will require a dedicated computer, that bridges WiFi and LAN (so the laptop connects to the WiFi hotspot and shares that connection with the Ethernet port), but that will be quite a complicated setup and, from my experience, does not give that great performance.

thank you mate.聽

1 hour ago, Rahimi0151 said:

Hi guys!

I'm currently using a conventional ADSL line. but it is slow and kinda expensive for what i get out of it. it's about 1-2聽Mb/s (yes! MegaBITs. not bytes! i can download at a mind blowing speed of 90 Kilobytes a Second 馃槻馃槻 it can't play YouTube beyond 240p) and it is connected to a switch and 1 desktop, 1 laptop, 4 phones are connected to this network. not to mention, my NAS and a personal Linux server for dev work.

i can get a LTE data plan with the same cost, witch provides around 25-50 Mb/s. but there are two major problems. first of all, i will have to buy it for almost every device and it will be 6 times more expensive then. and more importantly, i will lose access to my NAS.

so the Question is:

Is there a way that i can configure a phone or a LTE modem to share the LTE plan with the whole network connected to that switch? If it helps, i have a spare PC with i3 3220 inside.

P.S. i know about WiFi/USB tethering. but i can't use either. because聽i can't use them and my NAS at the same time.

There are a couple ways. 1) A router that accepts a SIM card. They do exist, the best place to find one might be the provider. 2) A USB LTE stick or LTE Modem (With Ethernet or USB) and a router (There are routers that will allow you to use a USB connection for LTE).聽

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.聽