Looking for a server chassis and cooling solution for threadripper 3990x

My company is looking to switch to AMD and we would need to make sure we can scale up in the future.

We have a few empty racks but I never put a workstation in a server chassis before.

So I would like some guidance in how to fit this in a sever chassis vs having a bunch of towers cluttering the server room.

Any input is appreciated :)

If this isnt the right place for this thread then please point me the right way thanks.

Also, located in Canada fyi.

Here is our parts list for running our vm's. Feel free to give any input on this aswell.

10 hours ago, dave2700 said:

that's not litle memory

what?

10 hours ago, jojothejoker said:

So I would like some guidance in how to fit this in a sever chassis vs having a bunch of towers cluttering the server room.

Any input is appreciated :)

i mean, depends, a 14s is more of a tower cooler than a rack cooler in all honesty.

as for the aio. in space restricted cases, it should do the job. though as i said, not sure what type of rack you got, unless you already know that they'll fit.

Here is our parts list for running our vm's. Feel free to give any input on this aswell.

do you already have all of these, because from the looks of it, a cl22 non ecc ram does not seem that good, unless you already have them.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

what?

i mean, depends, a 14s is more of a tower cooler than a rack cooler in all honesty.

as for the aio. in space restricted cases, it should do the job. though as i said, not sure what type of rack you got, unless you already know that they'll fit.

do you already have all of these, because from the looks of it, a cl22 non ecc ram does not seem that good, unless you already have them.

We haven't bought the parts yet, this was cobbled up pretty quick. We have a big client coming in and we need more capacity.

Everything is pretty flexible, we could even buy new racks, I just want a threadripper in a server chassis XD

We have a big client coming in and we need more capacity.

not talking about capacity really, it's just a cl22 (non ecc) ram is subpart. and as for the cooling, a u14s should cool the 3990x just fine, same goes for the h100i. as for clearance, 

as i said. 

10 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

though as i said, not sure what type of rack you got, unless you already know that they'll fit.

^.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

40 minutes ago, jojothejoker said:

I‘d use the NHU 14

because this is for a company and I guess you want the system to be reliable so Aircooling is the way to go

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

26 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

not talking about capacity really, it's just a cl22 (non ecc) ram is subpart. and as for the cooling, a u14s should cool the 3990x just fine, same goes for the h100i. as for clearance, 

as i said. 

^.

We have standard racks for all I know, fit a bunch of PowerEdge R640 Rack Server in them but need more density.

My issue is which chassis to use and how to mount the mobo in a server chassis.

how to mount the mobo in a server chassis.

horizontally like any rack lol? 

as for what cooler to use, like what @Drama Lama said, air cooler tends to be more relaible but, at the same time, if you're space restricted, an aio wouldn't be a bad idea. 

but if you are not space restricted, air cooler.

Build Log: 

@jojothejoker is noise a problem?

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

3 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

@jojothejoker is noise a problem?

Not even a question. This could sound like a jet engine and no one would hear it.

Not even a question. This could sound like a jet engine and no one would hear it.

And how tall can each server be ?

4U?

and how long can it be?

do you need drive bays?

( if yes how many?)

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 hour ago, Drama Lama said:

And how tall can each server be ?

4U?

and how long can it be?

do you need drive bays?

( if yes how many?)

I'd say the slimmest possible while fitting the above parts unless you can recommend something similar.

No drive bays required.

Storage is taken care by a NAS.

It has to be similar to the Tower chassis cost wise or else the higher-ups we'll just buy Costco shelves and put them in towers.

2 hours ago, jojothejoker said:

I'd say the slimmest possible while fitting the above parts unless you can recommend something similar.

No drive bays required.

Storage is taken care by a NAS.

It has to be similar to the Tower chassis cost wise or else the higher-ups we'll just buy Costco shelves and put them in towers.

Well if you use the Noctua cooler you’ll need a 4U server

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

On 7/29/2020 at 2:36 PM, TofuHaroto said:

what?

What ram would you recommend. Need to get a hold of it in Canada.

Need to get a hold of it in Canada.

depends if you need ecc or not, if you're talking about regular ddr4 kits. a 3200 cl16/14 or a 3600 cl16 kit should be good. 

Build Log: