Let us add already added reactions by clicking them

pythonmegapixel

If you've ever used Discord, you'll know that the first time a reaction is added to a message you have to add it through a menu. But then, if someone else has the same reaction as you, they just click the button underneath the message.

Can't we do that for this forum? I keep getting caught out expecting clicking on the little checkmark under a post will add a checkmark reaction, but instead it opens that "See who reacted with this" dialog, which could just be replaced by a list on mouseover.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

5 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

which could just be replaced by a list on mouseover.

Assuming you have a mouse. I almost exclusively browse this forum on my phone. Mouseover functionality is a no-go. You have to take everything into account when designing UI.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

9 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Can't we do that for this forum? I keep getting caught out expecting clicking on the little checkmark under a post will add a checkmark reaction, but instead it opens that "See who reacted with this" dialog, which could just be replaced by a list on mouseover.

Listing the members who reacted to a post by holding the mouse over the icon would not work well for posts that have received a large number of reactions. You could only feasibly show a few names at a time before the list becomes too large/long. There are some posts on the forum with dozens or even hundreds of reactions which would not display properly. I also wouldn't want a large list of names popping up on the screen covering what I'm reading any time I accidentally moved my mouse over the reactions.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

31 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Assuming you have a mouse. I almost exclusively browse this forum on my phone. Mouseover functionality is a no-go. You have to take everything into account when designing UI.

I know, but plenty of sites have mouseover functionality on desktop which works differently on mobile (for example, a long press to bring up the list and a short press to add reactions)

22 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Listing the members who reacted to a post by holding the mouse over the icon would not work well for posts that have received a large number of reactions. You could only feasibly show a few names at a time before the list becomes too large/long. There are some posts on the forum with dozens or even hundreds of reactions which would not display properly. I also wouldn't want a large list of names popping up on the screen covering what I'm reading any time I accidentally moved my mouse over the reactions.

How about showing the last few reactions then having a "view more" button?

Neither of these are unsolved problems.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

5 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I know, but plenty of sites have mouseover functionality on desktop which works differently on mobile (for example, a long press to bring up the list and a short press to add reactions)

Doesn't a long press just show the option to copy/open in new tab/etc?

6 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

If you've ever used Discord, you'll know that the first time a reaction is added to a message you have to add it through a menu. But then, if someone else has the same reaction as you, they just click the button underneath the message.

lol I sometimes use Discord but didn't know that. :D

---

There is actually something that I would like to see changed: if I use the touchscreen on my laptop to click on the heart icon, it immediately likes the post, instead of giving me the minimenu to select from agree/funny/informative/like, which is quite unfortunate.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

• 4 weeks later...

Showing a truncated list of people who've reacted in the tooltip will be introduced in the next update I believe. Reacting by clicking on the reaction does make sense to me, but making it work well would require a bunch of changes. It won't be in the next update, but I'm not entirely discarding the idea.

HTTP/2 203

As someone prone to accidental clicks, I actually appreciate that a separate action is needed.

Especially with something like forum reacts which produce a notification. I'd hate to accidentally click, then the person gets a notif so they know I retracted it.

• 3 weeks later...

I mean, we only have FOUR reactions. Wouldn't it be easier to have 4 buttons? I dunno how well that would work on mobile but I have 2 suggestions for complete solutions:

1) Keep existing single reaction button, but clicking it (or clicking pop-up on mouseover) brings up menu with 2 sections/partitions. The top section/partition has the individual reaction buttons and the bottom one has a list of all users that reacted with their reaction to the left of their name (like how Facebook does reactions).

2) Remove existing button, current "X reaction total" counters become persistent (even when n=0) and clicking the reaction icon/symbol allows you to "react" and clicking the count/total for that reaction gives a pop-up menu of users who had that reaction (or gives a list of all users and how they reacted, as described above in solution #1)

Regardless, I think either solution would work well with the existing system of a truncated list of users who reacted ("user-x, user-y and n others reacted to this").

I am totally okay with the existing system, but these are just my thoughts if it were to be changed.

Edited by Nimoy007
spelling correction

Engineer, electronics enthusiast, maker. My devices/tech:

Spoiler

Desktop (Main): i7-7700k/EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090/32" Curved QLED monitor

Desktop (HTPC): Ryzen 3-3200G/RX 580

Handheld: ASUS ROG Ally Z1 Extreme

Laptop: ASUS ROG Strix G15 Advantage

VR: Quest 2

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

Dev Boards: TI MSP430/Arduino Uno/Raspberry Pi 4/esp32

Sound: Sony WH-1000XM4, HyperX Quadcast