More Performance out of Old PC, should I add Fans?

FangerZero

I have a pretty old rig, was originally a gift, and would like to hold out until AMD comes out w/ their new socket in hopes that they'll do another 5 years of the same socket. My CPU/GPU temps don't get higher than 70C in my experience. I was curious if I overclocked my GPU and added 4 case fans could I maybe get more performance out of it? Or should I just overclock my GPU?

CPU: i7-2600k Overclocked to 4.1 (Stock Cooler I think)

GPU: AMD R9 290
RAM: 2x 8 GB, 2x 2GB (1333MHz, DDR3)

MB: Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3

No point, if your comfortable with your temp. 

2 minutes ago, FangerZero said:

should I just overclock my GPU?

yes, and repast both GPU and CPU. 

17 minutes ago, The Sloth said:

Adding an SSD and overclocking RAM would also help squeeze a couple extra miles out of it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Already got the SSD drive, some samsung 850 evo 500gb. I'll try overclocking the ram, and there's nothing fancy about the ram. no heat syncs or anything. And overclocking the GPU some.

EDIT: During a Shadow of the Tomb Raider Benchmarking I got the below, though before I move forward of increasing speeds again, I'm going to ensure it runs stable. I'm just a little @.@ about running above 70C

CPU 4.1                                  Temp: 77C

GPU 1400MHz, 1100 MHz     Temp: 82C

Memory 1600Mhz                   MB Temp: up to 65C

Whats your room temp? Adding case fans doesn't have that big of effect to max temps, and OCing is more about hardware itself than fans.

Also, you shouldn't worry about socket changing. Cooler manufacturers tend to offer either free upgrades or upgrade kits for most popular coolers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

20 hours ago, The Sloth said:

No point, if your comfortable with your temp. 

If temp are fine I don't the points in repasting.

20 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Adding an SSD and overclocking RAM would also help squeeze a couple extra miles out of it.

Agreed but I would waste the money on buying a new kit with better clocks.

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Whats your room temp? Adding case fans doesn't have that big of effect to max temps, and OCing is more about hardware itself than fans.

Also, you shouldn't worry about socket changing. Cooler manufacturers tend to offer either free upgrades or upgrade kits for most popular coolers.

Yup.

@ OP 

If your going to push your OC farther I would get a better cpu cooler. 

Thanks for the tips! My room stays around 75F.  But I think I can deal with 75C, if I notice it getting too hot I'll look at adding fans.

Case fans would only get you gains if you computer starts to run hotter over time, think an hour or more of heavy nonstop load pushing temps up to mid 80s. Most of the time this is not typical for a gaming load... glances at 2500k.

I would try pushing the CPU overclock a bit and see where you end up. I'm personally not concerned at 77*, I wouldn't get worried until you are hitting or exceeding 83* (I think sandy bridge throttles at 89*).

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit