will a an i5 6500 bottleneck a gtx 1070

Hamusii

so i recently got a pc with a gtx 1070 gaming x and a i5 6500 and ive noticed it bottlenecks a bit in some games and wondering what i can really do i know about playing on a higher res should help but it will look blurry since i got a 1920x1080 monitor and im working on getting an i7 6700k and just looking to see if i can do anything for the time being, thanks much love ❤️

Will it bottleneck? You said it already does so there is your answer, the games you play do not run well on that i5

4 minutes ago, Hamusii said:

i know about playing on a higher res should help but it will look blurry since i got a 1920x1080 monitor

Don't use settings that make the game worse. It is also not guaranteed to work, it might help but at the end of the day the CPU has its job to do and that job is not always made easier by slightly reduced frame rates.

4 minutes ago, Hamusii said:

im working on getting an i7 6700k

Good luck finding one under $200, the used prices are frightening. If you do not have an overclocking motherboard, don't get a k version of the CPU, just look for a 6700 or 7700, and definitely don't spend more than $150 on this CPU, when the Ryzen 3 3300X is only $120 retail.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Will it bottleneck? You said it already does so there is your answer, the games you play do not run well on that i5

Don't use settings that make the game worse. It is also not guaranteed to work, it might help but at the end of the day the CPU has its job to do and that job is not always made easier by slightly reduced frame rates.

Good luck finding one under $200, the used prices are frightening. If you do not have an overclocking motherboard, don't get a k version of the CPU, just look for a 6700 or 7700, and definitely don't spend more than $150 on this CPU, when the Ryzen 3 3300X is only $120 retail.

money is not the problem .i got a z170 mother board thats why im looking into getting the k version but do you even recommend getting an i7 6700k for the graphics card?

Just now, Hamusii said:

money is not the problem .i got a z170 mother board thats why im looking into getting the k version but do you even recommend getting an i7 6700k for the graphics card?

If money isn't an issue, get a 3600 or wait for Zen 3. The 6700K prices make it horrid value as it's slower than a 3300X and costs nearly double.

12 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

If money isn't an issue, get a 3600 or wait for Zen 3. The 6700K prices make it horrid value as it's slower than a 3300X and costs nearly double.

what mobo do you recommend with it ? mostly building it so it can run vr smoothly which is can but the cpu is a cock blocker 

If you have a z170 you can blck OC your i5 6500 with the right bios.

Stock speeds are 3.2. Boost single core to 3.6 and the rest at 3.3. 

My OC and many others running over 4ghz all cores synced ran this with a 1080 for a long time 

What motherboard do you have?

3 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

If you have a z170 you can blck OC your i5 6500 with the right bios.

Stock speeds are 3.2. Boost single core to 3.6 and the rest at 3.3. 

My OC and many others running over 4ghz all cores synced ran this with a 1080 for a long time 

What motherboard do you have?

That was disabled years ago. Backward flashing was also removed to prevent people from doing it.

5 minutes ago, Hamusii said:

what mobo do you recommend with it ? mostly building it so it can run vr smoothly which is can but the cpu is a cock blocker 

Get a B550 Strix or B550 Steel Legend. Add a 3600 and you're good to go

Just now, 5x5 said:

That was disabled years ago. Backward flashing was also removed to prevent people from doing it.

Actually you can still do it. Some mobo are easier than others

And the op may not even need to depending on his bios version.

Just now, narrdarr said:

Actually you can still do it. Some mobo are easier than others

And the op may not even need to depending on his bios version.

There was exactly 1 ASRock B series board that could still do it after all the patches and it hasn't been produced for 3 years.

9 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Get a B550 Strix or B550 Steel Legend. Add a 3600 and you're good to go

got offered a r7 2700 with a ASRock X370 PRO4 for about 292$ sounds about right?

1 minute ago, Hamusii said:

got offered a r7 2700 with a ASRock X370 PRO4 for about 292$ sounds about right?

Don't get a 2700 and X370. That's not worth it either. Zen 2 is MUCH better. A 3600 will be faster than a 2700 and B550 boards are MUVH better than X370

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

There was exactly 1 ASRock B series board that could still do it after all the patches and it hasn't been produced for 3 years.

That's just the one that was support by the manufacturer. 

Anyways say what you want. I know for sure many asus boards even when your bios won't let you. You can force it though dos commands.

Just now, narrdarr said:

That's just the one that was support by the manufacturer. 

Anyways say what you want. I know for sure many asus boards even when your bios won't let you. You can force it though dos commands.

Everything got patched in BIOS, microcode and windows. It's not possible anymore. It hasn't been possible for three years.

so i went on and got an i7 6700 but the temps seem to be very high the cooler that i have in my pc is an arctic 11 pro rev.2 can that be the problem ?

6 hours ago, Hamusii said:

so i went on and got an i7 6700 but the temps seem to be very high the cooler that i have in my pc is an arctic 11 pro rev.2 can that be the problem ?

probably. It an aftermarket stock cooler.

We can recommend some much coolers if you can tell us what case you have, your budget, and your region.

11 hours ago, narrdarr said:

probably. It an aftermarket stock cooler.

We can recommend some much coolers if you can tell us what case you have, your budget, and your region.

crosair carbide spec 02 65$ israel

2 hours ago, Hamusii said:

crosair carbide spec 02 65$ israel

it would be better. but not ideal.

some better options would be:

Cougar MX330 (Acrylic glass)

₪160.99

VAT-Inclusive Price

₪188.36

https://www.newegg.com/global/il-en/p/N82E16811553031

COUGAR MX331( tempered glass)

₪216.99

VAT-Inclusive Price

₪253.88

https://www.newegg.com/global/il-en/p/N82E16811553062

On 7/30/2020 at 3:47 PM, Hamusii said:

You didn't say what the temps were, only that they were high. Also, did you apply fresh thermal paste when you attached the new cooler?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

On 8/1/2020 at 3:51 PM, Fasauceome said:

You didn't say what the temps were, only that they were high. Also, did you apply fresh thermal paste when you attached the new cooler?

temps were terrible 100c on full usage and 60 on idle it was throttling like hell so i got a hyper 212 spectrum applied fresh paste and i now idle at 27 and max out at 67 on 100% usage