Is it possible to configure one IP address which doesn't change upon device restart?

AP3X_48

Disclaimer: I'm a complete noob at this.

I have a Wi-Fi hotspot device provided by my ISP, when it restarts it changes my IP, which I guess is normal, I wanted to know if its possible to assign a IP address and still have all the functionality. 

so you want a static IP while using your mobile hotspot? That is not something that you can easily get. You would have to contact their sales or technical support. They might even charge you because public IPs (IPv4) is very limited and is running out quickly. Sometimes though, they don;t even give you the option. Even if they do give the option, its a BAD idea. with a hotspot, you are severely limiting your firewall capabilities and because you will get attacked quite often, you will run out of data quickly. 

I'm assuming you meant public IP and not internal IP?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Just now, Saksham said:

so you want a static IP while using your mobile hotspot? That is not something that you can easily get. You would have to contact their sales or technical support. They might even charge you because public IPs (IPv4) is very limited and is running out quickly. Sometimes though, they don;t even give you the option. Even if they do give the option, its a BAD idea. with a hotspot, you are severely limiting your firewall capabilities and because you will get attacked quite often, you will run out of data quickly. 

Don't really care about my data running out, just need a static ip because I play GTA Online and I use a kind of firewall so that unwanted people don't join my lobby/session, I give my IPv4 address to a trusted person (yes, i know i shouldn't but I trust them)

So basically, I don't want to message him every time i wanna connect because the firewall uses IP addresses.

So I have to contact my ISP right?

1 minute ago, AP3X_48 said:

So I have to contact my ISP right?

Yes. but be careful with public IPs. they are dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. 

You have been warned. 

1 minute ago, Saksham said:

Yes. but be careful with public IPs. they are dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. 

You have been warned. 

Okay, thank you for the help and warnings :)

21 hours ago, AP3X_48 said:

o I have to contact my ISP right?

Just wanted to add. Static IP's might cost you money. Ive heard some ISP's don't allow them on residential connections period. Also Ive heard some ISP's only sell them in blocks of like 5. 

21 hours ago, AP3X_48 said:

Wi-Fi hotspot device provided by my ISP

Is this as in a gateway from a cable provider/ wired phone provider or are you on a cellular connection? I only ask because if your on the first two then doing what you want might not be to hard. On the cellular connection it would probably be harder to get a static IP. Most cellular providers in the US don't even give customers a public IPv4 address. As we have ran out of those. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Just wanted to add. Static IP's might cost you money. Ive heard some ISP's don't allow them on residential connections period. Also Ive heard some ISP's only sell them in blocks of like 5. 

Is this as in a gateway from a cable provider/ wired phone provider or are you on a cellular connection? I only ask because if your on the first two then doing what you want might not be to hard. On the cellular connection it would probably be harder to get a static IP. Most cellular providers in the US don't even give customers a public IPv4 address. As we have ran out of those. 

Its a cellular service. And I'm from India so i hope we havent run out of IPv4 addresses here lmao

55 minutes ago, AP3X_48 said:

Its a cellular service. And I'm from India so i hope we havent run out of IPv4 addresses here lmao

ipv4 only has 4Billion address universally. countries doesn't affect this number. That is nowhere near enough in the modern world for this which is why we are transitioning to ipv6. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Most cellular providers in the US don't even give customers a public IPv4 address. As we have ran out of those. 

Sprint (my cellular provider) lets us get public address for $3/month which is surprisingly cheap. 

2 minutes ago, Saksham said:

ipv4 only has 4Billion address universally. countries doesn't affect this number. That is nowhere near enough in the modern world for this which is why we are transitioning to ipv6. 

Sprint (my cellular provider) lets us get public address for $3/month which is surprisingly cheap. 

Ohh okaayy.

you could use a service such as NoIP that you can set up so you can give your friend a link that always points to your ip.

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

On 7/28/2020 at 11:35 PM, Saksham said:

I wonder if T Mobile will keep that. Or grandfather you in at that price. 

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I wonder if T Mobile will keep that. Or grandfather you in at that price. 

I don't pay for it right now but I would assume they would keep that feature. its a service they get paid for. why would they remove a revenue source?

7 hours ago, Saksham said:

I don't pay for it right now but I would assume they would keep that feature. its a service they get paid for. why would they remove a revenue source?

Because its T Mobile and T Mobile might not want to provide a public IP to its customers. Or they might only provide one for their home internet service and leave Mobile Subs on carrier grade NAT. To be honest Public IP's for Mobile users are kinda not necessary. I can see it for fixed LTE/5G services, but not on a phone. 

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Because its T Mobile and T Mobile might not want to provide a public IP to its customers. Or they might only provide one for their home internet service and leave Mobile Subs on carrier grade NAT. To be honest Public IP's for Mobile users are kinda not necessary. I can see it for fixed LTE/5G services, but not on a phone. 

I don't think they are going to keep it or at least is going to be more expensive because we are running out of ipv4 addresses but they might already give you a publicly routable ipv6 address